Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
On a modified sine wave inverter the hum noise comes from the stair step sine wave
that it produces . With increased current demand the noise will get a little louder but
is normal.
Well, I had the same issue with our toaster oven last weekend and I thought I was ruining the inverter so I fired up the genset and plugged into the 110 outlet.

It's good to know the noise is normal. We're leaving for Yellowstone in a week (well, 9 days) and a campground or two have a no generator rule but I do need my coffee!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Attempting to run "heavy" loads using your inverter is a disaster waiting to happen.

120 VAC coffee makers, toasters, cube heaters, hair dryers, curling irons, fabric irons, electric blankets AND the microwaves should not be run on inverters.

Common sense states that if you need to use one of these devices and you do not have accessible shore power, then start your generator. it probably could use the exercise and hours anyway.

It amazes me to hear about the number of people that complain about having to change out their blown devices especially microwaves then later find out that they have been running it numerous times on inverter power, duh!

Same holds true for other 120 VAC devices.

Just my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 06-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #17

I'd suspect a problem w/the outlet contacts & the cord end plug prongs if the end of the cord was getting hot. If there is not good contact for the prongs in the outlet, electricity has to arc to the prongs from the outlet metal and will heat up the wire in the cord. If there is any sign of arcing on the metal plug prongs, change out the outlet for a new one. If its a GFI, don't buy a chinese one, get a Leviton unit to match the one you have (probably available from H.D. or Lowes).
Old 06-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Attempting to run "heavy" loads using your inverter is a disaster waiting to happen.

120 VAC coffee makers, toasters, cube heaters, hair dryers, curling irons, fabric irons, electric blankets AND the microwaves should not be run on inverters.

Common sense states that if you need to use one of these devices and you do not have accessible shore power, then start your generator. it probably could use the exercise and hours anyway.

It amazes me to hear about the number of people that complain about having to change out their blown devices especially microwaves then later find out that they have been running it numerous times on inverter power, duh!

Same holds true for other 120 VAC devices.

Just my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
That totally depends on the inverter, doesn't it?

We have a 2800 watt Pure Sine Wave inverter, and just about every outlet in the coach is run off it. Including the Microwave. No problems at all.

You can't do that with a 1200 watt MSW inverter.

joe
Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #19

I've run the M/W off the inverter as a policy, unless we're cooking dinner in it. If its just heating up coffee or melting cheese for nachos, cranking up the gen isn't worth the trouble. We even make coffee on inverter somewhat regularly. That's why we bought a rig w/a 2k inverter & big battery bank.

I meet a lot of campers that are scared by the inverter. Massive use of it in a single shot isn't what its there for (cooking a roast), but short stints (wife curling hair in the a.m., how could I forget that?) are its forte. Usually once the woman of the house figures the inverter out, it gets used normally.

Tags
inverter