Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #29

We got fed up with that stuff not staying in place as well. Went to carpet runner that's sold by the foot. We use a dark grey color, but otherwise it looks just like the stuff shown in post #20. It's cut to whatever size necessary so it can't move around. It's just stiff enough where it stays put really well!

Works great in the basement storage areas too!
-Al

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
We got fed up with that stuff not staying in place as well. Went to carpet runner.........
-Al
I will definitely take a look at this also.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Same happened to us so I got rid of it. Replaced it with a thick liner I bought from IKEA which has been fabulous. No slips or bunches at all and has served us perfectly for 3 years of full timing:
RATIONELL VARIERA Drawer mat - IKEA
Is one side sticky enough to stick to the shelf? What keeps this one from bunching and sliding?

It seems these products work for some people and and not others. Maybe the surface composition of the shelves themselves contribute to the problem.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #32

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
That has to be the answer since what we have will itself slip and slide. Not as bad as dishes or cans, but little better. We bought it at Lowe's and it was called shelf-liner.
So did I RanCarr Lowe's - shelf liner, and mine does the same thing as yours. At least we now have a common denominator.....
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #33

At the hardware store the other day (either a True Value or Ace), I noticed the carpet runner stuff that ahicks mentioned. It does indeed look very similar to the stuff that the previous owner installed in my coach, and being able to get a small amount off the narrow roll would be a pretty cheap way to see if it would work. I'd suggest giving it a try.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
At the hardware store the other day (either a True Value or Ace), I noticed the carpet runner stuff that ahicks mentioned. It does indeed look very similar to the stuff that the previous owner installed in my coach, and being able to get a small amount off the narrow roll would be a pretty cheap way to see if it would work. I'd suggest giving it a try.
Will do. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #35

iRV2 No Limits Club
I received a video in my email this morning from Ron Hazelton on this very subject. See it here.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It seems the rubbery shelf liner we had in our first campers worked lots better than the recent stuff. It does not stay in place as well. Thinking about it, I wonder if it works better in the smaller cupboards. Or with more stuff on it so it can't move and bunch up. The cupboards and closet shelves are definitely bigger now.
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #37

I didn't watch Ron Hazelton's video, but I read the discussion and apparently he's talking about putting the rubber shelf liner stuff in drawers, and there are comments about how to keep wrinkles from forming, whether to spray the glue on the rubber stuff or on the drawer itself, what to do about crumbs that fall through the little holes in the rubber stuff, etc.

In the case of drawers, I can't imagine fighting with that rubber stuff because putting a piece of carpet in there is simple and it doesn't require glue because it won't bunch up. To clean it, you can vacuum in place, or empty the drawer and remove the carpet for cleaning and lay it back in there. The only down side is that it's thicker than the rubber stuff; I took the carpet out of a desk drawer because the organizer thing I had didn't quite have enough clearance with the carpet in there, but I've kept it in the other 35 drawers in my RV.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr

Is one side sticky enough to stick to the shelf? What keeps this one from bunching and sliding?

It seems these products work for some people and and not others. Maybe the surface composition of the shelves themselves contribute to the problem.
Totally missed this comment...sorry. The IKEA stuff is not exactly sticky, but it has little bumps on it that prevent it from moving around. It's also a little stiff so doesn't bunch up. We do have a small front lip on our shelves which helps too. I've been real happy with the liner.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
Guess it might have been helpful to mention that I bought ours at Home Depot. It sits right next to that clear vinyl stuff you normally think of when thinking of carpet runner. -Al
Old 09-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #40
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Thumb tacks for us.

It may be difficult to push them in without bending them. If you have problems, you can hold the shaft of the tack with some needle nose pliers and then use a small hammer to tap them in. One in all four corners will hold the matting very securely.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:36 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
We have carpet in all of our cabinets and I use the rubber shelf liner to put in between things like when staking bowls and plates and glasses so there is no sliding or noise while traveling down the road.

Then I remove them as I use things and keep them in a cabinet till we leave again.

I have seen this cool shelf liner at Target that is solid soft plastic with some lines that run across it. Looks like something that might work and wouldn'd slide up or get crumbs through anything since it is solid.

In our Stick house I have bought laminet tile squares and line under my sink with that and am slowly doing my other cabinets and I think that would keep things from sliding too and easy to clean up.
Attached Images

Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #42

Universal solution

I'm amazed that (till now) noone suggested the universal solution - Duct tape! Worked for me!