Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #1

That rubbery no-slip shelf liner

How are you people keeping it in place? It keeps bunching up and itself sliding back and forth in my cabinets. I can't get it to stay in place. Of what use is a no-slip product that itself slides around? Nothing I tried will stick to it from double-sided tape to industrial velcro. I think I just threw away $20.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #2

i had the same problem so i put a drop of super glue in each corner and helped a great deal a little acetone or nail polish removed take it off
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use an Arrow staple gun with 1/2 inch staples.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Thumb tacks in the corners maybe?
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Don't want to start something but there is a difference in sides so turning them over may help some - just saying.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #6

I couldn't get thumbtacks through the wood of the shelves and the CrazyGlue wouldn't stick to the rubber as I had hoped. The staple gun wont fit in the cabinet's backs. Regular staples wont go through the wood.

Qwert66 that made no difference. That was the first thing I tried. I thought maybe I had it upside down. Both sides act the same and crumple up and slide around etc.

Has anyone here tried anything that worked for them of than those large staple guns?

I finally removed it altogether until I can find something that will actually keep this stuff down.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert66 View Post
Don't want to start something but there is a difference in sides so turning them over may help some - just saying.
And that difference is?
Attached Images

JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
it likes a bit of moisture to stay put
only a tiny bit

we had to clean the cabinet shelves with window cleaner to remove all the oil from the shelf
then lightly take a moist paper towel and do a quick wipe through
then place the material back down and add objects

every now and again it will pop up, but mostly it stays put
unless the dishes stick to it
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
we bought this stuff..feels like sticky plastic and lifts off with no issue. As well its easily cut ..... keeps everything from shifting around....we're campin so I'll make a mental note to look it up when we get home. It stays inplace until you want to take it off.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
it likes a bit of moisture to stay put
only a tiny bit

we had to clean the cabinet shelves with window cleaner to remove all the oil from the shelf
then lightly take a moist paper towel and do a quick wipe through
then place the material back down and add objects

every now and again it will pop up, but mostly it stays put
unless the dishes stick to it
Oh yes, not just the dishes will stick to it and pull it up and out of place, but the can-goods and bottles and just about everything else will also. But I'll give that a try and see what happens. I've decided not to try any more glues as someone on another forum said when the rubber starts to disintegrate, to wear out and tear, it leaves areal mess behind that has to be scraped off where the glue was.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
we bought this stuff..feels like sticky plastic and lifts off with no issue. As well its easily cut ..... keeps everything from shifting around....we're campin so I'll make a mental note to look it up when we get home. It stays inplace until you want to take it off.
Now that sounds interesting and like something I'd like to try. There is really nothing to keep the rubbery stuff laying flat. It's not at all sticky. It seems to be more of a shelf protector than meant to keep things from shifting around in an RV.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #12

The previous owners of our motorhome put carpet on every shelf and in the bottom of every drawer in the whole thing and I love it. It works just as well as that rubbery stuff for keeping things from sliding around, but the items don't stick to it and it never balls up or anything like that.

The cans in my pantry never move, but if I need one in the back I can easily slide it forward along the carpet. I have some glass mixing bowls that I nest and store upside down on a shelf, and they've never moved more than a fraction of an inch in 9 years of fulltime travel.

The carpet they used is ribbed a little, not completely flat. But not nubby like berber or anything like that.

The carpet is glued down and it does cause a big mess if you have to pull it up. (I had to remove it from one shelf to get to some screws, and pulling the carpet off pulled off some of the finish on the original shelf.) But unless something hideous gets spilled on it, you should never have to remove it, and even if you did, you'd certainly put another piece down because it works so well.

It never would have occurred to me to use carpet like that and never read about anybody else doing it. It's a shame because it works wonderfully.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:11 AM   #13

Maybe some double sided tape---tape with stickey on both sides
hnybare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was thinking double sided tape as well, but the kind that has 1/8" of foam between the sticky sides. Wipe the surface down with some thinners to remove any furniture polish, dry it well, then apply the foam tape.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote