Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
I still am roughing it - I don't have slides!
That is a vision that shall haunt me for the rest of my days.

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #30

Our Rving stuff is modest by the standards of most here - but still up a ways from tent camping...

BUT, we started out camping when still in our late teens on blankets spread on the ground, and simple Coleman stoves and lanterns - and groceries in cardboard boxes and styrofoam ice chests.

Over the years, we migrated up thru sleeping bags, tents, teardrop trailer - and then larger stuff - to where we are today as seen in my sig.

At 75 years of age, I feel no need to apologize for the "that's not camping" stuff - I paid my camping dues over 6 decades, 2 back surgeries, and the arthritis of old age - so we'll take our own version of "real camping" - and eventually, most of our tenting critics may well get here where we are too, one day - if the economy doesn't end up with us ALL in tents - or worse...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Our Rving stuff is modest by the standards of most here - but still up a ways from tent camping...

BUT, we started out camping when still in our late teens on blankets spread on the ground, and simple Coleman stoves and lanterns - and groceries in cardboard boxes and styrofoam ice chests.

Over the years, we migrated up thru sleeping bags, tents, teardrop trailer - and then larger stuff - to where we are today as seen in my sig.

At 75 years of age, I feel no need to apologize for the "that's not camping" stuff - I paid my camping dues over 6 decades, 2 back surgeries, and the arthritis of old age - so we'll take our own version of "real camping" - and eventually, most of our tenting critics may well get here where we are too, one day - if the economy doesn't end up with us ALL in tents - or worse...
I had the exact same trip working my way up the camping ladder. I have loved every step of the way. Now that the kids are grown and have their own RVs we are fortunate to be able to join in with them on their long weekends at the beach. If it wasn't for the RV I would be "camping" without my wife and that would be no fun.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
If it wasn't for the RV I would be "camping" without my wife
I never thought of that.

Where's the best place to buy tents these days?
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post

We also have worked our way up all the way from a Pine Lean-too up to our current 14 year old 38' gas pot. We also have loved every step of the way and have made that comment a few times "That's not camping" in the next breath "I wonder what it's like in there?"
We are now at a stage where there is no desire to sleep in anything but a comfortable bed.
We still make an effort to have a camp fire everynight, when we are out in the RV and barely ever watch the TV, but as we get older - look forward to enjoying our favorite hobby any way which we feel fit too.
It is our thing and comment as people may, screw'em ...let them find their own thing to love.
chaperon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorfarmer
they can have their tents and hotels, i will be in the rv watching my tv, showering in my shower, and sleeping in my bed, just sayin
Yes Sir.....right there with you.......nothing better than your own stuff
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #35

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I started out with a tent. My dad bought a pop up and we were very popular during my high school years, everyone wanted to go camping with us. My wife and I rented European motorhomes when we lived there. When I got my retirement walking papers, I looked for and found our current fiver, which is our home for the foreseeable future.

To those who call my mode of roughing it smoothly, with all of the comforts of home in a thirty foot long box, I merely say to them:

"I have been camping or traveling in a recreational vehicle for over forty years. With each new rig I have purchased or rented, I made it a point each time to up my standards. So, up yours!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I made it a point each time to up my standards. So, up yours!"

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:36 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburner View Post
I made it a point each time to up my standards. So, up yours!"

Richard, A Perfect reply :>).
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #38

same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
My DW used to say that roughing it was "staying at a hotel that doesn't have a hot tub and indoor pool".

Her new definition is "when the site is too small to put out all the slides".
That is exactly what my wife says.
Ron
Old 04-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #39

We call it "Comfy Camping" and make no apologies for it!
You can read more about my kind of camping here!
http://http://campinandscrappin.blog.../about-me.html
Jennifer P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Went "camping" last weekend (Goliad State Park - Texas). They have 3 type sites - Full hook-ups including sewer, water/electric and primitive. One guess which we were in.
Friday night here come the boy scouts - several vans pulling trailers and lots of tents. Again, care to guess which sites they took? What do you want with a sewer hook-up in a tent? At least the electric got used by the light bulbs in most tents and TV's in some....
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Went "camping" last weekend (Goliad State Park - Texas). They have 3 type sites - Full hook-ups including sewer, water/electric and primitive. One guess which we were in.
Friday night here come the boy scouts - several vans pulling trailers and lots of tents. Again, care to guess which sites they took? What do you want with a sewer hook-up in a tent? At least the electric got used by the light bulbs in most tents and TV's in some....
I'm surprised that the BSA would allow that. I guess things have changed. Do they give badges for texting as well?

Once a year we camp at a place where the Y-Indian Guides hold an annual pow-wow. They are 1/4 mile away and the noise is pretty bad 24 hours a day. I hope the scouts were better neighbors.

Double pane windows may have some problems but they do cut down on the noise a bit.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gee, I don't remember any of these "people" making any of the payments, buying any of the fuel, doing or paying for any of the maintenance on my coach. But, as I get older my memory is not what it used to be. At least with my way of "camping/rving, whatever" the taxpayer doesn't have to build, maintain, and supply park bathrooms and showers. I quite frankly don't care how they want to "camp" and I don't need their approval on my lifestyle either.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping