Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #43

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
AMEN TO ALL OF THE ABOVE>>>!!!!

Hubby and I paid our dues...We each and jointly camped in leaky tents with soggy sleeping bags and sleepily trudging to the bathhouse each morning, but with age we got smarter and our bladders demanded a much closer bathroom....LOL!!! Now that we have a few extra bucks...we have chosen to have a more comfortable mode of transportation and camping.

I also want to know who slept on the mattress and pillows last and in my rolling home...I know that the accomodations are clean and sanitary. I know what is in my own fridge and that I can care for my husband in a manner that he deserves.

Many folks do not realize that having an RV gives some of us a last chance to spend quality time together doing what would be impoossible in a stick built home. With a home on wheels...I can take my husband on trips to give him happiness. I can stuff the grandkids in with us and hit the road and we all can have memories that will never have happened at home or in a tent on the ground...

So poo-poo to those who say RVing is not really camping. Who are they to judge???

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #44

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Started out tent camping years ago, moved up to a TT and a MH....I like to think we got smarter as we got older...lol
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #45

I don't think I've ever gotten fuel without someone asking (what kinda mileage that thing get). I was camping a couple of weeks ago and a tent camper told me I was staying in the condo section.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have done the tents and the popups.(three popups) I probably enjoyed the first popup the most of all the campers. I had a young family ( 1 yr and 4yrs) It was all new to us and we never envied anyone else in their big motorhome. We just said, one of these days that will be us. My kids are grown now (41 and 44) but we still camp together, Just a little more comfort now.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #47

I Tent camp for 50+ years, have spent 60+ days at a time in tent in the high country (above 7500 feet) Got my TT last year and it sure feels good on these old bones! By the way, I stayed in a tent that cost $1,000.00 + But I do love my TT!!!! Don't want NO ONE telling me about roughing it!
Old 04-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #48

National RV Owners Club
I'm thinkin' anyone in a tent 'roughing it' in a campground hasn't much room to judge. I refused tent camping because bears make a lot more noise breaking into a 'tin box' than a tent. We don't camp deep in the Bitterroots anymore, but I'm not going back to tents for anyone - LOL

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
With a hybrid you still have the feeling of being out doors, but the conveniences of the modern world. I just love it when there are tent campers in the next site and the weather turns nasty. I'm usually on the couch watching a DVD or something. We were there one time...tent camped for 10+ years (87'-99') Got smart and moved up to a P-U-P (99'-05') and now on our 2nd hybrid (05' - 12').

Now, when they started putting dishwashers in RV's that is where I would say "that's not camping".
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #50

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Sorry, suffering ain't camping either. It's just suffering. To stay in a tent, sleeping on the ground would be torture for me. I'm not 25 any more. It ain't camping unless it's enjoyable.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #51

Solo Rvers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Heck yeah, we're camping. A queen size bed instead of our king size in the house and no dishwasher. That's as roughing it as I want to get now. We did the tent camping, then the cab-over camper and finally to 5th wheels. Next will be a MH for me.
2012 Coachmen Encounter towing 2010 Honda FIT
Dawn309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #52

I must admit, I don't call it "camping". Camping is what we did when were younger. We carried it on our backs and left a car or van in a parking area someplace and we started walking. Sometimes we even flew (overseas) and took a bus to a town and started walking. If it wasn't in our packs, we didn't have it or we didn't eat it (eating was great; the packs got lighter ). There weren't any toilets or bath houses and your water came from wherever you could find it.

We then "graduated" to car camping and we still called it camping. All the manual stuff; set up the tent, roll out the sleeping bags get out the coolers, keep the Colemans filled, etc. get soaked when it rained. Tenters know the drill. Cold hard ground, aches and pains upon rising...

We stopped calling it camping when I "citified" the tent. Got a huge tent and I installed electricity; lights, ceiling fan, small color television, bar refrigerator. Ah, the life. Used to trip out the KOA folks when we'd ask for a site with electricity and they'd ask how big our RV was..."just a tent and a few goodies". We called it "traveling".

Now we're doing trailers, ever bigger trailers. I can't call it camping. Even with a campfire and cooking outside (I can do that at my sticks and bricks with the grill and the fire pit) you can't really call it camping. If at the end of the day, you poke the last embers of the fire and you get up and go inside and turn on the lights and the A/C to watch some television before taking a shower and getting into a queen or king sized bed it isn't camping. That's why they call it RVing.

We RV now and proud to be able to have the time and resources to do it. When friends ask if we're going camping soon, we say "No, but, we are planning a trip in our RV"

Hope the above doesn't offend anyone, I stepped on another's toes in a different forum when I said that it wasn't camping...no foul meant, you can call it what you want within the confines of today's silly PC
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #53

Solo Rvers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Definitely no offense taken. LOL. I figure everyone calls it whatever they want to. The end result is the same. Getting away and enjoying the lifestyle.
2012 Coachmen Encounter towing 2010 Honda FIT
Dawn309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #54

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
suffering ain't camping either. It's just suffering. To stay in a tent, sleeping on the ground would be torture for me. I'm not 25 any more. It ain't camping unless it's enjoyable.
I agree, after tent camping for about 12 years and being caught in too many rain events...It was time to upgrade...The worst was packing up in the rain or when it rains for 2 days straight and there was no place to go but the inside of your wet tent.....

To relive old habits last year. A friend of our called up to say they were camping about two hours away, why don't you come up. Since it was last minute, we packed up a tent and some gear in about 30 minutes and headed off to the first night spent in a tent since 99'. So that was 2011....so I guess the next time I have to tent camp will be 2023....11 more years.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #55

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
Tents are like tattoos. It's great when you are buff and 21, but once you get to be 50 and not so buff...well, you get what I mean

Steve
That's the truth! At 52 I want more than a foam pad between me and the hard ground!
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When?

When was the last time you saw the rangers or police show up to evict RV'ers from a campground for being drunk and disorderly?

So perhaps a good answer to the 'that's not camping' comment would be 'I can't drink that much anymore.'
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping