Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #1

The 120 Point Mechanics Check

When the Salesman Says "We Performed A 121 Point Mechanics Check On This Unit and it is perfect", what does that really indicate? When I was looking at a used Toyota once, the salesman told us the car was perfect, "we performed a 121 point check and nothing is wrong". As I was checking the car out I found the windshield wiper rubber blades were either completely gone (rear window) or the front windshield blades were ripped completely nonfunctional. Other problems were also obvious, so we passed on that car.

Just the other day we were looking at a used Diesel Pusher and the salesman said "this unit needs nothing, we performed a 121 point check and she is perfect". I found the wiper blades were ripped and worthless, and both of the tubes that supply's windshield washer fluid to the wiper arms were both broken. That made me look even harder and I came up with a list of 8 obvious things wrong including things like one of the rear taillights was water filled, the sewer drain cap was missing, one headlight had a crack in the plastic lens, and the Freightliner radiator overflow tank was cracked and leaking antifreeze. Wouldn't you think these things would be included on his 121 point checklist?

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My opinion"

The "120 checklist" claim is usually followed by an expensive payment of some sort by the recipient of the claim. Overtime I have cured myself of even being curious about what is on the list.

I specifically wanted the alignment on my CR-V checked once. I had my reasons. I made the request by phone, and reminded them when I brought the car in and it was written on the work order. The 120 checklist service was their "best method" of assuring me good service.

When they were done I went to pay and on the "120 item checklist" was a box indicating alignment. It was checked "OK". so I asked to see the diagnostic sheet with the calibrations, normally it is attached and I like to compare with my previous one. Like I say I had my reasons.

The service rep disappeared into the back and after a while came out and said, "our alignment rack is out of service".

Well to his credit he waited patiently while I gave him my 120 reasons why this was a really lousy thing to have happen in a big Honda dealer and I wanted to talk to the service manager.

It is called lying and cheating and it could have caused me no end of cost and trouble. I do not believe my experience nor yours is unique.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
The items you found wrong are on the checklist, but they're numbered #122,#123,#124 etc.etc. LOL
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
When the Salesman Says "We Performed A 121 Point Mechanics Check On This Unit and it is perfect", what does that really indicate?
Bigd9
Usually nothing!
I've often heard that whenever a RV salesman's lips are moving he is lying!

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Bigd9
Usually nothing!
I've often heard that whenever a RV salesman's lips are moving he is lying!

Mel
'96 Safari

The first coach we bought we were told by the dealer that a similar extensive checklist performed and $5000.00 in repairs done. The coach was in great shape.

Later we found
The front air bags were bad, holding zero air. And steering components were worn to excess. Making the coach unsafe to drive. $1300 out of our pocket later the coach was safe to drive.

Dealers lie.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #6

Early in my working career, I worked for three big car dealerships and two tire companies. Even then, watching some of the other techs do these so called xxx point inspections, they were nothing more than a 'jack it up' visual inspection. An alignment check was usually an inspection of the wear pattern on the front tires...never saw an actual alignment preformed on a used vehicle. The exception was when I worked part time for a Mercedes dealership. The service manager had me align every new and used Mercedes that came in. This manager's MO put me thru school.

So, I place these 'point' inspections in the same 'value added' category as a condescending "Have a nice day".

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #7

You know what, I would be embarrassed if I told someone my company did a 121 point check and they obviously did not. I guess I would never make a good salesman.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
You know what, I would be embarrassed if I told someone my company did a 121 point check and they obviously did not. I guess I would never make a good salesman.
Your right, it was embarrassing. But with a wife, child and trying to get through school in a bad job market, ya do what is necessary.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #9

No matter who 'claims' to have done a 121 point service check, the list may not include all that one would look for. In a past 'life' one of my duties was to inspect vehicles 'after' mechanics had completed repairs. 99% of the time I would always find things that they missed.
When we bought our 2009 Diplomat this last spring, we were told that the MH had been gone through and everything repaired/serviced. Needless to say I found several items that needed to be addressed.
All the sales men's claim to me would mean that I would be looking at EVERYTHING very closely. Buyer beware!!!!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Seeing that the work is done and done properly is YOUR responsibility. When having filters changed before you go in take a screwdriver or Awe and scratch an initial into bottom or side. if you are having belts changed spray something (finger nail polish) on old belt b-4 you go in for service. Take their list and then go over the list. You have a right to do an inspection after things are serviced. I ask for all parts that are replaced or exchanged to be put into a box, even dirty and used filters. If they took a part out I insist to receive it the old part.. same for belts, chains anything. You are the only person that keeps you from being victimized. The crack about salesman lying is BULL. Any person with ethics and knowledge doesn't have to lie. If that is company policy then that is a company I do not do business with. When I catch a person lying when they are in a service position I insist on seeing the OWNER. He either makes it right and the job completed or I'll take necessary action to see that their fraudulent activities cease. There are shortcuts and some will try to take them. safe travels.... ed
Old 01-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #11

Maybe it means they spent 120 seconds walking around it trying to decide how much they wanted to sell it for before they put it on the lot.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #12

Ask to see the list with all if the checks and notes along with the mame of the person who did it.

Then ask for that person to show you on the vehicle...ask about how they performed the checks.

Ask for management if needed as it can be fun when the checklist does not exist...
Old 01-17-2014, 07:26 AM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
1. Does the vehicle have tires?---Check
2. Are they round?---Check

and so on.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #14

You guys/gals can be funny! I've enjoyed all of the wide ranging comments.

After I pointed out a few things that needed attention that I thought should be on any 121 point checklist, like windshield wiper blades, I asked if he would grant a 30 day warranty so I could check things like water pump, water leaks, etc. He said "I can sell you an extended warranty". I said "no thank you" and started to walk away. He said "wait, our warranty's aren't that expensive".