Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #1

The $325 winterization !!

So...

I'm entering my fourth winter owning our new rig.. for the past three years, I've elected to have my local RV repair shop do the winterizing on the rig.. It was new.. it had a second bathroom with a macerator and.. it was BRAND NEW... Plus, I had an "acquaintance" who worked at the RV shop and he always looked out for me (didn't hurt there was a case of his favorite beer in the fridge for him )... I figured the $100 to winterize it wasn't a big deal..

So.. this year.. I thought.. It's time.. I've got the lay of the land.. I can do this (after-all, I used to winterize my previous RV).. but... I figured I'd call and see what the current rate was... I figured if they were going to offer the $99 winterizing deal again.. I may just go that route again..

Well.... Let me tell you... That ain't gonna happen again... While on the phone with the service adviser... she even said.. "you're gonna get a little sticker shock" and proceeded to tell me it would cost $325 (PLUS antifreeze solution) to winterize my RV...

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME !?!?!?

To be honest.. I'm going to call back again today.. just to confirm the price AND what's included with this epic winterization fee... I can't imagine anything drastic has change in winterization techniques from last year.. but I was in such shock that I told her "thanks" and hung up the phone.. I didn't get a chance to ask what justified the large increase..

So.. to be curious.. if you're having someone else winterize your rig.. what are YOU paying ???
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2015, 10:12 AM   #2

We paid $189.00 to have our 2009 Diplomat winterized. While this might seem a little 'high' for some, it also includes de-winterizing in the spring, filling our 100 gallon water tank and best of all is that if there is damage from the winter, they will repair it 'on their dime'!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Went up $10 this year. Winterizing and de-winterizing was $99 + tax. Cheap insurance since they are responsible if there is any damage due to freezing in the water system.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:20 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our winters are relatively mild here, the rig is stored beside the stick house so all I do is keep heat in it all year long.
Plus it's ready to use when we want.
I also wouldn't pay $325 for winterizing my RV.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think they need a new air compressor to blow out the lines, and want you to pay for it !
Old 10-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #6

Winterizing is no big deal to do it yourself.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #7

It cost me $15 for 3 jugs of antifreeze from Walmart. about 15 min worth of electricity for my air compressor and 1/2 hr of my time to winterize mine.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
It cost me $15 for 3 jugs of antifreeze from Walmart. about 15 min worth of electricity for my air compressor and 1/2 hr of my time to winterize mine.
Only need 2 gal here. ;-)

FWIW If you check the jugs "good stuff" Dow name brand used to be pure whatever glycol (I can't keep them straight). This year it is premixed with water for you. When I priced the food grade glycol it was running around $30/gal. I see two issues. Part of it might be why the cost went up at the local shop because they might buy bulk barrels of the chemical. I preferred the straight stuff with the idea that any residual water gave me a blend that was still OK. With the pre blend I will be watching the dewatering more closely. I will also give some thought to the traps, black, and gray tanks. I usually do not worry if there is a bit of content in there...
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post

FWIW If you check the jugs "good stuff" Dow name brand used to be pure whatever glycol (I can't keep them straight). This year it is premixed with water for you. When I priced the food grade glycol it was running around $30/gal. I see two issues. Part of it might be why the cost went up at the local shop because they might buy bulk barrels of the chemical. I preferred the straight stuff with the idea that any residual water gave me a blend that was still OK. With the pre blend I will be watching the dewatering more closely. I will also give some thought to the traps, black, and gray tanks. I usually do not worry if there is a bit of content in there...
The jugs says it's good down to -50 degrees. The way I figure it only gets down to -1 or -2 around here on the coldest of the cold night here. Rarely gets to 0 over night so I don't worry much about dilution after blowing the lines out with air. The black tank always has a few gallons and I've never had an issue
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post

This statement does not make sense. Engine anti freeze is mixed with water to help with cooling. Anti freeze for water systems in RV's are never mixed with water. It would serve no purpose.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:26 PM   #11

1.5-2 gallons for us.

DOW South/Win RV Antifreeze with DOWFROST-147005 - The Home Depot
Old 10-15-2015, 06:33 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Did it myself this afternoon with 3 jugs of RV antifreeze from Walmart for about $15. About an hour of my time, blew out the lines with my air compressor, added the antifreeze. Done.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:47 PM   #13

325 is a bit high I guess it depends on what is needed to be done. We start at .7 hr plus antifreeze. So that is 87.50 plus antifreeze however we add for washer, dishwasher, ice makers and filter systems. So yes it could go over 200 bucks plus antifreeze.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Rv antifreeze is onsale at my local ace hardware for 2 bucks a gallon.

Tags
winter