Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #1

The ability to communicate while on the road

Surely there are many out there that have hearing loss and have struggled to find a way to overcome it. I've had hearing aids for years and recently got the Phonak remote mic based on a lot of really good reviews but it is just NOT what I had hoped for. It's basically a clip on mic that's paired with your hearing aids so you can carry on a conversation with the person sitting next to you. In a one on one in a fairly quiet setting this works just okay. Even then I can many times hear my own voice and its like I'm inside a barrel. In a group setting where there are a lot of people FORGET it but many say it's great which makes me thing I'm doing something wrong. I have my iphone paired through my hearing aids and its the best thing ever but this little mic is terrible. Anyone with any experience with this and how it works for you I would be interested to hear from you or if you have ways you have overcome the inability to communicate while on the road. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2016, 07:30 PM   #2

We too have isdues. It's a long way between the seats in our DP. If Ron is concentrating on something I have to raise my voice for him to hear me
We are approaching the VA to obtain the Bluetooth device for his hearing aids.
( We were surprised to have an audiologist at the main Pittsburgh VA tell us he should have been given it to begin with, but apparently the smaller facility uses a different criteria and we must go thru a " lifestyle" evaluation. You can believe I'll be part of that discussion !!!!)
Our goal is to hopefully have some sort of blue tooth mic for me to wear also. Some setup similar to what Bikers might use
Maybe others will have some ideas

Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #3

This forum maybe of some help: Hearing Aid Forums | Hearing Loss | Hearing Aids
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #4

Not sure what type of coach you have, but our diesel pusher is super quiet with the engine in the back. Not trying to get into the whole diesel vrs gas debate, but seriously, the diesel was a ton quieter than the gassers we test drove!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:21 PM   #5

My tow rig is a 1991 Ram D350 dually with the first gen 5.9 Cummins. When going down the road it can be quite hard to hear your co-pilot. We have a set of pilot - copilot headphones with mics. Works out really well, quieten's road noise down and just makes things a little easier not having to shout at each other. I think she got tired of me yelling at her.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain ol Bil View Post
My tow rig is a 1991 Ram D350 dually with the first gen 5.9 Cummins. When going down the road it can be quite hard to hear your co-pilot. We have a set of pilot - copilot headphones with mics. Works out really well, quieten's road noise down and just makes things a little easier not having to shout at each other. I think she got tired of me yelling at her.
Can you share we what brand etc
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:24 PM   #7

Time for noise canceling headsets that pilots use.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:31 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
To the poster who came up with the diesel coach thing, we are talking hearing aids and sound not your coach.
I have aids with several programs, I have one set for normal, one for outdoors where it's quiet and one set for in a auto- motorhome. It helps but is not a cure all. There might be devices that can pair with the aids just like the phone. And as above their are pilot copilot intercom sets for aircraft that work well and could be integrated with GPS and radio. When either talks the radio or other input is cut out. I would think the aircraft type headset would work but thy are heavy, most likely a lighter set would still work for instance a head set for the computer. Any larger airport would have pilots store or electronics shop for a look around.

LEN
Old 10-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #9

I sincerely appreciate the replies. First let me say to Nana25k... I'm going to call BS on what the VA told you. I don't want to get my own thread off topic but I would ask them to show you the rules that say you must have some sort of "life style evaluation". I first got hearing aids thru the VA in 1991 and mine have been upgraded every 4-5 years. In that time I have never heard of such a thing. My current hearing aids came with everything from the ability to connect to my phone, the TV and the remote mic that I previously mentioned. Everything works beautifully except the remote mic. I was hoping someone had this as well and could comment on it. In the numerous reviews I've read it seems like it should work better than it does. I made an appointment to get this thing checked out by the VA so maybe they can tune it like they do my hearing aids.
I too would like to know exactly what your using plain ol bill.
Not sure I'm ready to go to noise canceling head sets but it's an idea. Probably a little cheaper than buying a diesel pusher
Old 10-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #10

I have found in my situation it is more of a brain thing than a hearing problem!
homeless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Time for noise canceling headsets that pilots use.
some states ban headsets while driving.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
To the poster who came up with the diesel coach thing, we are talking hearing aids and sound not your coach.

My point was that there are other ways to skin a cat. In this case, one way (and the first I would look into) is a better communication system (see below). Another way is to reduce the ambient sound level in your environment. This can be accomplished in many ways. Dual pane windows can reduce wind noise, more insulation around a front engine can reduce engine noise, having the drive train components (engine and transmission) can move a major source of noise away from the driver. I didn't mean to sound sarcastic, or promote diesel pushers over front end gas coaches, I meant it as a possible helpful alternative. Just thinking outside of the box, I apologize to anyone who felt offended by my attempt to assist the OP.

I would think the aircraft type headset would work but thy are heavy, most likely a lighter set would still work for instance a head set for the computer. Any larger airport would have pilots store or electronics shop for a look around.
LEN

A better source of aviation headsets would be Pilot Supplies - from Sporty's Pilot Shop

They have a selection of light weight quality headsets, and yes, they are expensive, but still cheaper than a diesel pusher!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by halibut214 View Post
I sincerely appreciate the replies. First let me say to Nana25k... I'm going to call BS on what the VA told you. I don't want to get my own thread off topic but I would ask them to show you the rules that say you must have some sort of "life style evaluation". I first got hearing aids thru the VA in 1991 and mine have been upgraded every 4-5 years. In that time I have never heard of such a thing. My current hearing aids came with everything from the ability to connect to my phone, the TV and the remote mic that I previously mentioned. Everything works beautifully except the remote mic. I was hoping someone had this as well and could comment on it. In the numerous reviews I've read it seems like it should work better than it does. I made an appointment to get this thing checked out by the VA so maybe they can tune it like they do my hearing aids.
I too would like to know exactly what your using plain ol bill.
Not sure I'm ready to go to noise canceling head sets but it's an idea. Probably a little cheaper than buying a diesel pusher
While I would like to agree that it's BS I must tell you that in our current experience it was not. Just to be clear I am a proactive, kick the door in advocate for my spouse and I argued the point. But not being able that day to ask my question directly to an audiologist, but rather bring being forced to use a go between made it a problem. Believe me when We actually go to the appointment I will be prepared to push the issue
Now let's get back on topic.
As I stated earlier our coach is quiet, however no matter how Ron sets his current HAs it's difficult
Hoping for more suggestions

Tags
cat