Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The Advantages of Being Self Sufficient.

OK...I realize that some folks have a different idea of self sufficient than I do. I can't skin a deer or other more manly things. LOL But I do know how to start a generator.

Here I sit with gusty winds that have killed the power to the CG. Sandee was doing laundry and the heat pumps are taking a light chill out of the MH when things happen. My inverter kicks in and the washing machine quits along with the heat pumps.

I looked out the window and the CG is dark. Gave it 2 minutes and then with the push of a button and a couple minutes for the generator to get to speed, the Surge Guard to bring in the power and we are back to "normal".

Well...I guess the only thing left is to wait for the shore power to return so I can shut the genny down.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Don, At least you have the generator...if you were back in your S&B, you'd be getting cold. There ARE significant advantages to full timing you hadn't even thought about, including being on line right now

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have plans to use our RV as a "lifeboat" for lack of a better term.

Same expectations as the OP, but since we are still weekenders and seasonal trippers, most days the RV is just waiting for us.

We are not "preppers" but living in SoCal, there are real threats like the big earthquake the scientists tell us that we are overdue for.

So, the only thing needed for us to jump in our lifeboat is a few suitcases. There is water, fuel and power along with dry goods, some clothing and all the stuff we would need in the kitchen and bath for a couple weeks "away".

It's one of many reasons we have an RV.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #4

Hey Sky Boss, Isn't that great?? Shore power, batteries, Solar ( if you want to buy the panels), and then the Genset. Feel like we're safer in the coach than in our S & B's ( not counting tornado's)
Old 11-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
X2 Sky_Boss. If you have a full tank, you can probably go 10 days. That's what in call self-reliant.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi sky boss, I have been reading your threads and have to ask where you are located? you have had high winds for days and it sounds cool and nasty. After watching that video of your slide topper if I was you I would of pulled them in and went and bought one of those fancy kites and had some fun.........LOL
Old 11-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #7

One possible downside of using the MH as a lifeboat is its size. In August of 2011 Hurricane Irene was coming to New York. I was at a campground on the other side of the Hudson River from where I live, and was prepared to get on the road to return home depending on the storm track and the weather reports. By Saturday afternoon it was clear that I should head home to be back with my family. As I headed home, the radio mentioned that bridges across the river might be closed to "High Profile Vehicles" if the winds exceeded 40 MPH. I had not considered that in my plans.

Fortunately, the bridges were never shut down. Just something to consider.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We definitely consider ours a lifeboat. It is full of fuel and propane at all times. Water in the summer. If the SHTF, we are ready to go. Grab a couple bug out bags and some self protection apparatus and WE GONE!
Old 11-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hi sky boss, I have been reading your threads and have to ask where you are located? you have had high winds for days and it sounds cool and nasty. After watching that video of your slide topper if I was you I would of pulled them in and went and bought one of those fancy kites and had some fun.........LOL
The winds haven't been terrible but just from the worst direction for where I am parked. Tomorrow is another day though. Crazy weather...61 degrees outside right now at 9 pm.

I've been told to go fly a kite before but not so nicely. LOL
Old 11-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a big storm here a few years back and it knocked out power in the neighborhood for three days. The RV generator saved the food in the fridge and also the occupants of my fish tanks. We ran heavy duty extension cords into the house. Worked great.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote