Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've got a 40 DP, I guess I could put a spare in the basement somewhere, but I can count on one hand how many flat tires I've had in 30 years, but I always try to keep good tires on vehicle, and watch air pressure. I have 5 year old tires, will buy new ones in one more year. I'm not retired yet, but I am disabled and have no way to change a spare. I will just get coach net and trust their contractors are going to do right by me. If we worried about everything that could possibly happen, we would never leave home, or be in an RV.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Two blow-outs in 18 months since I bought the MH. Both inner rears, both older tyres. Both occurred within 40 km of a major town. Before I retire in another 18 months, I will have new tyres all round (already have four of the seven) and I hope not to need the spare. But I did watch while the professionals changed my tyres and when I had to change the last one I was much quicker. The only tool needed is a reasonably long lever to manipulate the wheel. When I am no longer strong enough to change it myself, then I will have everything any passing motorist or good Samaritan would need to help me. If time and money are no object, travel without a spare. If space is no object (mine is mounted externally) carry one. I would LOVE to travel for the next 25 years and never have to take the spare off its mount, but right now, I kiss it every time I pass.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Most of my trips are work related. So if you take the poll put me down as one of the guys that doesn't have time to wait for a tire and/or rim to be shipped to Smalltown USA.

While passing through Edmonton which is a very big town I needed a 22.5 tire. The tire store had to order it and it took a day to get to the store. THis was just from the warehouse on the other side of town. Imagine how long I would have waited in a small town. Would have missed my meeting probably.

When I retire and can afford to be stuck somewhere for a couple days, I may not worry about carrying the mounted spare but now time is money. Looking forward to when time doesn't matter. At least being stuck with the coach I will have all the comforts while waiting.

With 4 storage bays I have more room than I need so the space the tire takes up is no big deal. I can see when I go full-time I may value that extra space and leave the tire at home.

See the picture this is why I carry a mounted spare. Hit a sink hole with front tire and the pavement gave way. I was going to slow to clear with the rear tire before the pavement collapsed. This was Sunday night around 1:00 AM. I was only delayed an hour. If I had not had the mounted spare it would have easily cost me a day, if not two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0051.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	16483  
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #18

My '00 Hurricane has a spare tire on a rim and ready to to be mounted. It of course is band new. Well it was in '00 and has never been used. After reading the op I might just have it replaced with a new new tire.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to the SEMI TRUCK types. you can always find a Tire Man, 24x7 who can handle your RV, May be a bit pricy and not always that close but let me list a few ways to find them.

As a POLICE DISPATCHER I had powers, Great powers, (Actually I had a copy of the yellow pages on my desk) and thus could physically find a Tire man any time of any day or night. (Looked them up in the book don't you know) Hope you are now laughing.

Firestone, Goodyear and I suspect Mitchlin all have 1-800 type numbers and they will find you the nearest 24x7 truck tire man as well. (Well the nearest authorized their brand dealer man)

Have your tire size, and the make and model and color and location of your flat (Meaning street and cross street) handy when you make the call

Example Tire Size, 2010 Prevost 45'er, Silver, sign in front of me on South bound I-## says Exit 30, road name, 1 mile.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A number of gas MH's that run 19.5 rims don't have the storage (pass through bins of any kind) to accommodate a spare so I just rely on the road service card.
IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #21

When we owned an Allegro MH it did not have a spare tire. One time I had a flat on the rear. I removed the flat, reduced speed (state 2-lane highway) and limped to the next town. Another time I had a flat on the front, I drove the MH onto a leveling board, using the inner dual, jacked-up the front axle and removed the flat. I then removed the outer dual and moved it to the front to replace the flat. Replaced the rear lug nuts, and limped to the next town.
I didn't care about over-loading that single rear tire,( tires are replaceable) my aim was to get my family off the road and to the next town. This was a about 3 decades ago
Naturally all the MH rims were identical.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #22

I don't carry a spare MH tire. I have 22.5's and know that a bazillion (actual hand count) semi trucks use 22.5 tires. I don't have to sit beside the road for 3 days because a large city tire store doesn't have a Tokymoto #312 tire with raised white letters to match the others. Let you mind think on that tire for a minute............. They can put on just about any 22.5 tire and I can drive to the closest RV park. Now I'm comfortable and happy sitting, while they special order my tire(s).

I don't have to be anywhere at any particular time. If you do, then do what makes you happy. One size is certainly not going to fit all in this case.

I can count on two fingers the number of flat tires I've had in the last 25 years. One on the road, one in my driveway. I like those odds. Wish I could get them on the slot machines in Vegas.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Well, now I don't know what to do. I can still change a tire myself and I have a 25 ton jack. However, after I do it I will need to set there for a couple of days to rest. Maybe I'll just call a service truck next time I need a tire repair. lol
Old 12-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
I don't carry a spare MH tire. I have 22.5's and know that a bazillion (actual hand count) semi trucks use 22.5 tires. I don't have to sit beside the road for 3 days because a large city tire store doesn't have a Tokymoto #312 tire with raised white letters to match the others. Let you mind think on that tire for a minute............. They can put on just about any 22.5 tire and I can drive to the closest RV park. Now I'm comfortable and happy sitting, while they special order my tire(s).

I don't have to be anywhere at any particular time. If you do, then do what makes you happy. One size is certainly not going to fit all in this case.

I can count on two fingers the number of flat tires I've had in the last 25 years. One on the road, one in my driveway. I like those odds. Wish I could get them on the slot machines in Vegas.
Sp you would buy one tire to get to the CG and then buy the right tire. Wish I had that kind of money.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee

Sp you would buy one tire to get to the CG and then buy the right tire. Wish I had that kind of money.
That's why I bought an 11 yr old MH, so I wouldn't have to worry about the money. If you had been on the road for 10 years and had 5 flats and had to pay 800 dollars each time, that is 4000 dollars. I figure I saved at least 100k on my MH that will take me anywhere I want to go for the next 10 yrs. When you have a toD, you Re never stranded, Generally speaking, if you are retired you have time. If you are working and have to get somewhere, you will probably get there somehow.

I have averaged 20 k a year in car for last 5 years. Not one flat...
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
When I had 19.5s on steel wheels, I carried a spare and everyting to change it. Now with 22.5s on Aluminum wheels, I still could change the wheels although with 3 different wheel conformations it would not be practicle to carry a mounted tire and I don't have enough room to carry just a tire.
That, Docter is my conundrum !!
Actually you have just two wheel configurations in an emergency, one is the inside rear steel wheel and the other is the alum wheel. A steel wheel can be mounted at any position. The alum wheels can be used for the front as well as the outside rear. The difference with alum wheels is whether they're polished inside or outside.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
That's why I bought an 11 yr old MH, so I wouldn't have to worry about the money. If you had been on the road for 10 years and had 5 flats and had to pay 800 dollars each time, that is 4000 dollars. I figure I saved at least 100k on my MH that will take me anywhere I want to go for the next 10 yrs. When you have a toD, you Re never stranded, Generally speaking, if you are retired you have time. If you are working and have to get somewhere, you will probably get there somehow.

I have averaged 20 k a year in car for last 5 years. Not one flat...
Our MH is 9 years old. I have yet to have a flat on it but we do have roadside service just in case. Have never needed it with this MH. almost did on the 2000 DSDP when the fan control quit. I wired around it and continued. We've been paying for roadside service for 11 years and never used it.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #28

For all you folks that carry an unmounted spare, just how do you go about changing the tire out in the "middle of nowhere"? You have to take the flat tire off the rim then put the good tire back on then blow it up. That might work if you have steel wheels and carry a compressor but sure would not be an enjoyable task. In fact, I'm not sure a little 150# compressor could inflate a RV tubeless tire. A suppose a mounted spare would be somewhat easier. How about the guys that have aluminum wheels? How do you even remove the lug nuts? You don't do that with a regular lug wrench.

Jim E