Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
Check the service coverage of your cell phone in the state of Nevada.

I carry a mounted spare and everything I need to change it.
Yep, or in west Texas, or northeast of Apache Junction, AZ, or in Alaska or in places in Utah. I carry an unmounted spare and the tools to mount and change it. Although I'm 70 I can easily mount and change a tire. If Coach Net is available in a reasonable time, I'll let them do it. If not, I'll do it myself. Since 2005 I've had to repair or replace 5 tires on 2 different NEW RV's; a 2005 diesel Bounder, and the 2008 Allegro Bus. Of course that was over 110,000 miles of travel. Those who drive 3000 miles in 4 years may gamble.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #44

I carry a spare mounted on rim ready to go....carry all tools required to do the job
and 1 "Superman" outfit to change into prior to changing the flat

Old 12-21-2011, 01:11 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
For all you folks that carry an unmounted spare, just how do you go about changing the tire out in the "middle of nowhere"? You have to take the flat tire off the rim then put the good tire back on then blow it up. That might work if you have steel wheels and carry a compressor but sure would not be an enjoyable task. In fact, I'm not sure a little 150# compressor could inflate a RV tubeless tire. A suppose a mounted spare would be somewhat easier. How about the guys that have aluminum wheels? How do you even remove the lug nuts? You don't do that with a regular lug wrench.

Jim E
Never tired it personally but I have seen guys use a tie down or motorcycle strap around the outside (running around with the tread) of the tire, draw it very tight to force the bead to seal to the rim while inflating. Don't know if it would work on an 18 ply 22.5" tire or not.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:19 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The one point no one has brought up is the age of the spare. My current spare is 5 years old. Do I replace it in 2 more years? I could buy a used tire with a newer date of manufacture I guess. That of course will have me calling tires stores looking for dates on used tires. Assume most busy tires stores will just leave me on hold until I hang up. The other option of course is to drop $600.00 on a tire that may never be used.

If i could get my annual mileage under control I would risk the no spare route maybe. I've put 13,000 miles on since May. At 3,000 or 4,000 miles per year I can see maybe not carrying a spare.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #47

I guess I can't speak for the low mileage folks. I'm just over 4,000 miles since September on this trip, still headed east.

Those who carry the equipment and can "easily" change a 22.5 tire are my heros. Maybe you'll happen along if I ever have a flat and loan me your spare, and install it before Coach Nets guy gets there. I'll even have a cold Guiness ready for you when you're done.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #48

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Changing big tires is all about leverage .
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I pay $90 a year to have someone come out and figure out what they will have to do to get my butt up and moving again. Yes, I can do it myself. But thats not what I am paying $90 for. I also am not interested in lugging around an old 22.5 that will be long out of date by the time I need it. There are plenty of them laying around and good enough to get me to a RV park while they locate the right one. There is nothing in my life that I HAVE to be to at a certain time.
PS In over a million miles of driving I have never had a blowout. I have had a flat or two but never a blowout.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Changing big tires is all about leverage .
Thats absolutly true. I leveraged my 401K for the $90 for the Roadservice Plan
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #51

No room to spare for a spare. If i had a flat or blowout I suppose I would tell them to bring a replacement with them if I needed one. AAA, never leave home without it. Or something simular. Had to use them once in 3 years and I know I am probally ahead of the game, not to mention peace of mind.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #52

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Thats absolutly true. I leveraged my 401K for the $90 for the Roadservice Plan

And you thought that 401k was worthless........

Dieselclacker
Old 12-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
I have aired up two tires from flat using a 6 gallon, pancake, 150 psi compressor. You need to pull on the tire while filling. Push and tug on the tire as it seats on the rim wall. Once you catch the rim wall, the tire will continue to inflate. That has worked for me. Of course, the tires needs to be just barely touching the ground.

To manually remove the rubber from a 22.5 inch rim is easy with a large tire spoon. There are videos around that show how easy it is. So as long as the rim is good, you only need to carry the tire.

Spare high quality used 22.5 inch tires run about $100.

While you're on the subject of RV tires, I've been told that RV tires are cheaply built, and no trucker would ever have the junk on his rig.

RV tires are built for comfy, smooooth, quiet, looks good, etc. And not for long haul, durable, tough, etc.

They're certainly built different than HD truck tires. But then again the truck is carrying 80,000 lbs down the road for 10 - 12 hrs a day 5 t0 7 days a week. Their main concern is how many miles do I get before they wear out.

The average RV'er is more concerned about how many years they will last. Most Rv'ers put on less than 7,000 miles a year. Add to that most don't have air ride seats and comfort also becomes an issue. They're different tires built for different purposes.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our first two units, a micro and then a full size C came with spares and only changed one, a front on the Dolphin as a roadside effort. The Tiffin didn't come with a spare, but when I traded it, I had been eyeballing the storage space to see if I could make room to carry an unmounted spare based upon some of the comments I've seen here. Worst case, I was going to go with a heavy duty luggage rack on the toad. Don't think I'd have ever tried to change it myself. Our new unit came with a spare and storage that is on the outside of the bedroom slide and takes up part of the space under the bead. The tires are 19.5s and I, from my years with the Class Cs, have the long handeled cross bar wrenches and impack quality sockets and extentions, a 6 ton jack and a 4x6 by 18 inch wood block that I keep in the RV. In an ermergency, I think I could handle the 19.5s
VSPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #55

Dennis, I look at my spare as just that, a spare...it will only be used enough to get me to my destination...then it will come back off and on goes the repaired/replaced tire. yes the tire will be old...but never seeing daylight, never seeing weather...it is good enough for me to use for a temporary time
Old 12-22-2011, 01:41 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Dennis, I look at my spare as just that, a spare...it will only be used enough to get me to my destination...then it will come back off and on goes the repaired/replaced tire. yes the tire will be old...but never seeing daylight, never seeing weather...it is good enough for me to use for a temporary time
I am leaning that way too. Hopefully an outdated spare will get me to the next town.