Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #57

This lug nut torque chart shows 225 lb/ft torque is the lowest for any model (1) rim for a HDT/MH tire. The vast majority show anywhere from 300-500 lb/ft of torque. That alone will prevent me from removing a 22.5"wheel at my age. Makes that ERS policy inviting, and practical.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #58

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal
We carried a spare with the previous motorhome that was mounted but it also was only a 16" tire. Now having the 22.5's it's a little different story. If we have to wait a little longer for a road service repair because of not having a spare I guess we'll have to do just that. Those things are a bit heavy expecially when your on limited CCC with our coach to begin with.
We have 22.5 also and I can't imagine I would even come close to changing the tire. Cell phone or CB or flare gun ( kidding) would be a more realistic solution.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #59

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but usually once you get into a rig big enough to need 22.5" rims, yer in the air brake category or close to. In the case of air brake rigs, you've already got a compressor and tank onboard, all you need to do is plumb in some air connection points and you've got a means to drive an impact wrench to get those high torque lug nuts off.

Throw in a good 20 ton bottle jack and that reduces the hard work down to moving the tires around. Between the impact wrench and a good 4-5' breaker bar and you can get the nuts tight enough to keep the wheels on till you can hit an exit and a truck stop to have them retorque the nuts to the correct ft/lbs.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but usually once you get into a rig big enough to need 22.5" rims, yer in the air brake category or close to. In the case of air brake rigs, you've already got a compressor and tank onboard, all you need to do is plumb in some air connection points and you've got a means to drive an impact wrench to get those high torque lug nuts off.

Throw in a good 20 ton bottle jack and that reduces the hard work down to moving the tires around. Between the impact wrench and a good 4-5' breaker bar and you can get the nuts tight enough to keep the wheels on till you can hit an exit and a truck stop to have them retorque the nuts to the correct ft/lbs.
If you are willing to carry the breaker bar and bottle jack, just add a torque multiplier to your setup and no need to have them re-torqued.

I use my onboard compressor to keep my tires where they should be. Got rid of the heavy space wasting pancake compressor long ago.

Haven't tried to use an impact wrench with my onboard compressor yet. I don't know if I can power it. I'll give it a try. I suspect it will work just may need to let the compressor build back up after each lug nut, might even get 2 before needing to refill.

First things first need to check the specs on my impact wrench see if it will handle that kind of torque.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #61

Most onboard compressors can't put out enough volume to power a 3/4" drive air wrench for any length of time. They consume 6 - 8 cubic feet per minute @ 90 - 120 psi. The smaller 1/2" models still consume 5 CFM @ 120 psi to get 550 ft lbs of torque. It usually takes a 2 hp or larger compressor to put out 5 CFM @90 PSI

I don't quite understand the specs that say they have a working torque of 50 - 550 ft lbs with a maximum of 780 ft lbs. I would think the high end of the working torque would be at the high end of the pressure range. Maybe you can rn them at a higher pressure for short periods (or until they blow up).
Old 12-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #62

Maybe it's time for someone to invent a "donut" space saving spare tire for us 22.5 folks like they did for the auto industry. I know there are all kinds of obstacles to overcome, but they did it for the cars. Don't take no for an answer.

Ken
Old 12-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #63

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I carry a mounted spare so all the the road service company , Coach Net in my case, has to do is remove it from my coach and install it. I have no intention of trying to lift the spare or break loose the Lug nuts that are 450 Ft lbs on my rig. My main concern is to have the spare available, and not have to burden the road service company with finding one for me. I have no qualms about using a covered spare that is several years old. YMMV

Dieselclacker
Old 12-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #64

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

Much to learn from this group. Our 22.5 is an Allegro open road Gas. No compressor.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:26 AM   #65

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yondog View Post
Much to learn from this group. Our 22.5 is an Allegro open road Gas. No compressor.
Wow.... yer fuel bill has got to suck big time.... Most of the Gas A's I've done service on that have visited our park were usually running 19.5" rims vs 22.5s. When I see the 22.5" rims, they're usually on the giant bus-sized class As with the multiple slides, like the Monacos and Newmars and are Diesel Pushers.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #66

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Wow.... yer fuel bill has got to suck big time.... Most of the Gas A's I've done service on that have visited our park were usually running 19.5" rims vs 22.5s. When I see the 22.5" rims, they're usually on the giant bus-sized class As with the multiple slides, like the Monacos and Newmars and are Diesel Pushers.
Yeah, that is a rare bird. Usually the 37' and 38' gassers get the 22.5's, 4 slides and very little CCC, but they get to buy plenty of gas....about 5.5 MPG. The big gassers usd to have tag axles, now they have 22.5's.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #67
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2
Yeah, that is a rare bird. Usually the 37' and 38' gassers get the 22.5's, 4 slides and very little CCC, but they get to buy plenty of gas....about 5.5 MPG. The big gassers usd to have tag axles, now they have 22.5's.
J
My 36' gasser has room for my unmounted 22.5 spare and I average over 7 mpg. I also have more then enough CCC and two slides.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
CCC? Cargo Carrying Capacity? Is that right? I'm new at this, and I keep looking at all this basement storage I have, and I can't imagine ever
filling it up once I start to FT. It seems to me, that the gassers being front engine would have just as much storage as a DP, am I wrong?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1
CCC? Cargo Carrying Capacity? Is that right? I'm new at this, and I keep looking at all this basement storage I have, and I can't imagine ever
filling it up once I start to FT. It seems to me, that the gassers being front engine would have just as much storage as a DP, am I wrong?
That's why I went and bought the sears air compressor everyone was talking about here, I can't imagine running out of room.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #70
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1
Diesel's are generally larger than gas rigs and have larger pass through basements therefore more CCC .Yes to your definition of CCC is correct.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote