Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #1

The carry a spare debate.

I've seen discussions on carrying a spare tire (unmounted) vs. full spare vs. nada.

Well, I had a blowout yesterday. I'm on a typical Texas state highway and a guy passes me and then some crap falls out of his pickup. I tried to dodge but I'm not exactly driving a race car.

Couple miles down the road BOOM. I pull off and my right tag axle tire is toast.

Called Good Sam and they said they could have a guy there in less than 90 minutes. I was surprised.

Guy shows up in an hour in one of those little nissan boxy wagons. I look at the guy and ask "You can jack this up and change out the tire?" Sure enough he has a big jack, air tools and everything in that little car. Actually pretty impressed with the setup.

Talked with the guy for a few and found out that the nearest place that could have mounted or provided a tire was a 2 hr drive away and not known for being reachable on Sundays.

So today I'm going to get a new tire and always carry a ready to run spare.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I've seen discussions on carrying a spare tire (unmounted) vs. full spare vs. nada.

Well, I had a blowout yesterday. I'm on a typical Texas state highway and a guy passes me and then some crap falls out of his pickup. I tried to dodge but I'm not exactly driving a race car.

Couple miles down the road BOOM. I pull off and my right tag axle tire is toast.

Called Good Sam and they said they could have a guy there in less than 90 minutes. I was surprised.

Guy shows up in an hour in one of those little nissan boxy wagons. I look at the guy and ask "You can jack this up and change out the tire?" Sure enough he has a big jack, air tools and everything in that little car. Actually pretty impressed with the setup.

Talked with the guy for a few and found out that the nearest place that could have mounted or provided a tire was a 2 hr drive away and not known for being reachable on Sundays.

So today I'm going to get a new tire and always carry a ready to run spare.
IMO, carrying a spare in an RV is a PITA. Especially if it is mounted on a wheel. They just take up too much room. On the one occasion for me to use my ERS because of a tire problem, they asked my tire size and brought a replacement. No problemo.

Jim E

Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
It is even further complicated for some of us that have one size front and another size on the rear.... Sometimes we must be at the mercy of the service people :(
Old 12-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #4

Ours came with a spare wheel and tire. It's attached by a chain and hook directly beneath the compartment where the propane tank is located. It's not using up space I want to use, so no pain.

It's an original 2001 tire, I think, but it would do for a short distance in an emergency. I keep it aired up.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine came with a mounted spare, hope I never have to use it.

Dieselclacker
Old 12-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #6

ERS is fine as long as you travel the main roads and the interstates. Other than that it's a good guess as when or if anyone will be available to assist you. We've been on a couple caravans where members tried to call road service for tire problems. In Alaska (on a weekend) it was impossible to find anyone willing to come out. In the lower 48 they got service but it wasn't exactly timely.

Our motorhome came with a mounted spare and I've had to use it on a couple occasions. One time we ran over some road debris and put a nail through the right outer tire. It took less than 1/2 an hour to change the tire and be back on the road. Another time we had a tire on our tow dolly blow. Since we had a spare for that as well it only took a few minutes to change it.

Both times we were back on the road in less time than it would have taken ERS to arrive let alone change a tire. We then had the luxury of replacing the damaged tires at our leisure with exact replacements rather than have to settle for something less.

We would never travel without a mounted spare for either the motorhome or the toad (now an 04 Jeep wrangler towed 4 down). I hate sitting around waiting for someone to come out wondering if they really do have the correct replacement tire, and hoping the they really know what they're doing.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #7

This debate will go on forever, kind of like a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge debate. Those who feel a spare is important will preach to the choir, the rest of us will go on with our ERS card and credit card ready. In over 50 years of driving all kinds of vehicles (I suppose over a million miles) I have never had a tire blow out. I know it could happen ten minutes from now but I, for one, am not willing to go through the expense and hassle of buying, maintaining, and storing a huge spare tire to cover a risk that, for me at least, seems to be awfully remote. Others will make other choices. For me being stranded a day or so while a tire is located while staying in a motorhome does not seem like the end of the world. Whatever you feel best doing is the right thing.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
This debate will go on forever, kind of like a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge debate. Those who feel a spare is important will preach to the choir, the rest of us will go on with our ERS card and credit card ready. In over 50 years of driving all kinds of vehicles (I suppose over a million miles) I have never had a tire blow out. I know it could happen ten minutes from now but I, for one, am not willing to go through the expense and hassle of buying, maintaining, and storing a huge spare tire to cover a risk that, for me at least, seems to be awfully remote. Others will make other choices. For me being stranded a day or so while a tire is located while staying in a motorhome does not seem like the end of the world. Whatever you feel best doing is the right thing.
Can I get an "amen."

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I was leaning towards the no spare tire camp myself. Then coming in from Texas I hit a sink hole bent my rim and lost the bead seal obviously. THis was 1:00 Am on Sunday night. No place to get a tire much less a rim. Fortunately I had a mounted spare. I was off and running in under 1 hour. Bought a reconditioned rim the next day. I guess I'm back in the carry a mounted spare camp.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Can I get an "amen."
Coach Net and Good Sam I'm sure one of them can get me a 22.5 tire or fix it !! $90 per year for each.
Much better than dragging around a 22.5.

How about a big amen ?

AMEN
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Someone should start a poll.....Ask how many retirees carry a spare and how many working people carry a spare. Some retirees are willing to sit on the side of the road for 3-4 days, while it might be tougher on a working person who needs to get on with their vacation or back to work. The pole should only include 22.5 tires. The smaller tires are pretty easy to get/change.

Its great to boast about how you'll just use your credit card, until the day your travelling through an area where the large towns, with available service, are about 200 miles apart on a Sunday.

I've never had a flat on my RV and even though I'm now retired, I don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere waiting for an overpriced used tire that is close to my size or a new tire that may take three days to get. You can bet that new one will be priced about 20%-30% more than normal because you're at their mercy.

I carry an unmounted spare in the center of my slide out tray. It rests on the edges of the tray. I wrapped the tire in saran wrap and than tape. I fill the center and under the tray with gear. I only have one large storage bay, but I'm still able to get all of my gear in the coach and I carry more than most.

If I have a flat, I will use my credit card and CoachNet, but it will be to pay someone to mount my spare. Eventually we'll take a trip to Alaska and I will add a mounted spare, jack and air gun in the bed of my toad for the trip.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I too carry an unmounted spare on a rack I had made for my front compartment slide tray. The tire is in the middle for balance and I can get to it from either side. The way I figure, unless you damage the rim, most service trucks can mount the spare tire on it, no problem. And....a specific tire size is harder to come by in some areas, but if you DO need a rim, they are pretty available as long as you don't mind a steel one.
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
My MH came with a mounted spare in its own compartment in the back. It's out of my way and I know it's there just in case.
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I had 19.5s on steel wheels, I carried a spare and everyting to change it. Now with 22.5s on Aluminum wheels, I still could change the wheels although with 3 different wheel conformations it would not be practicle to carry a mounted tire and I don't have enough room to carry just a tire.
That, Docter is my conundrum !!

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote