Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
The first questions to ask.....

I want to create a list of my top RVs choices before I seriously start to search for the unit I will buy.

What questions should I first answer to being to narrow my search?

1. Will you tow a car?
2. Maximum budget?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #2

Number one should be what is the GVWR, GAWR,FAWR, and RAWR

450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The questions you should ask will depend on what type of RV you're thinking of buying. Are you looking at trailers? Motor homes? Gas or diesel?

What do you intend to use it for?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #4

What are you going to use it for? Weekends, vacations, long term?
What type RV? Motor Home (w/toad), 5er (w/truck), travel trailer(w/tow vehicle), class C?
For how many people? Need bunk beds for kids?
Where do you want to go? State/Federal parks? Some places limit size.
Do you intend to use full-hookups or boondock?
New or used? Need extended warranty?
What design interior?
Does color matter?
How muck storage are you looking at? How much fresh water, grey, black? This relates to the first question - what use?
How much weight? That's what all the letters are about -ie- GVWR, etc
Old 05-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Number one should be what is the GVWR, GAWR,FAWR, and RAWR
I'd add CCC, to the list, too.
But if it's a list of questions to ask yourself; then .
#1 has to be " Intended Use "
Some week-ends & occasional 2>3 week vacations ?
3>4 months of semi-retirement ?
Full timing ?
Some travel , mostly travel; overnighting ; long term stays;
Get out a note book , your going to be back in school for a while ... and yes there will be a test at the end of this course.
And I see Dick , types faster than I do. As do most othe forum members.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for all the quick replies. Not the questions I was expecting. Here are some answers based on all the pictures and youtubes I've seen online.

1. I want to be able to tow my 3,300 lb car. (Full fuel tank)
2. Just me. Under 5' 4" Under 150lbs. Minimalist. (As an adult I took a single carry on bag for 2 weeks in Europe. Well, okay, I also had a shoulder bag with my computer.)
3. Taking job assignment to a remote location and nearest Extended Stay is an hour+ away. Intend to park MH at Texas State Park for 2 week stay and switch parks as may be required. Will have water and electric. Sewage is typically extra but not sure I'd need it. They have dump sites and typically nice shower restroom facilities. (Doesn't mean I don't want a shower and toilet. But I don't want a pull out in the aisle.)
4. Live in it during the week. Drive my car home on weekends. Drive MH to my house every three months while home for couple weeks to couple months. After 9 months, I may repeat this in another Texas location. (After I've finished with it for work I can see me taking off to visit areas in the US.)
5. All the abbreviations having to do with weight. All I know is I need a unit that will allow me to pull the car and be safe in the process. (I understand the weight of "stuff" adds up. I'm confident I'll have less than your average person.
6. I'm comfortable driving a very long commercial vehicle, but have 25' to park the unit at my house.
7. Gas or diesel? I don't know the ramifications of this decision.
8. Used, rather than new. (More bang for the buck. I can be a patient smart shopper.)
9. Budget. 15K or less.
10. Bed space. I like the idea of sleeping in the overhead but don't know how I'd like it once I did it. Twin bed fine. Under no circumstances do I want to put a bed together or fold it out. I want designated sleeping space that isn't blocking my path or creating clutter.
11. Quality. I'm not hard on things. Don't want it falling apart.
12. Servicing. Don't want to leave the State for service. Austin/San Antonio or Houston must be able to address all problems. It would be a MAJOR inconvenience to lose my "house". (In a pinch I can sleep in my car and shower and change at work. Though I wouldn't like it.)
13. Interior. Clean? Not pink. (not sure why I've seen so many pictures of pink upholstery.
14. Kitchen. I like having an oven. Double sinks. Fridge, large rather than small. Will likely bring food each week from my house.
15. Bath. Nice size shower is good and descent sized sink.
16 I like to use a lot of water. (That's why using the park facilities appeals to me.)
17. Don't want 4 "captain" chairs upfront.
18. The fewer bells and whistles the less there is to break
19. If kitchen table isn't comfortable, may want to bring desk chair along.
20. Like idea of big windows with screens for natural cross breeze when its not too hot.
21. I'm in Texas. Good AC a must but I won't be in it during the day -- I"ll be at work.
22. What I think I'll miss the most. Unlimited crushed ice and filtered water from my fridge at home.
23. Visitors? That's a temporary situation that I'll not let factor into my decision.

I'll stop here.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi WriteOn,
1. Will the coach tow the car you want to tow?
2. Will the coach carry all your stuff and people?
3. Does the floor plan fit your needs?
3a. look at the coach in travel mode
3a. look at the coach in CG mode (set up for camping)
3c. look at the coach in sleep mode (all furniture in the bed position)

After that, have the dealer change all the fluids, tires, batteries. Inside check the ceiling (in the closet and cupboards too) for stains from leaks.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Suggested MH brands and models?

Given the answers to the questions posted and the other criteria I'm using, I'd appreciate suggestions of brands and specific models you think I should look at.

I think I'm looking for a Class C.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #9

WriteOn, Back in the late 90's I bought a 29' Coachman motor home. It had a 460 engine (gas) over cab bunk, generator, rear bedroom with a queen size bed and I got it to tow a 18' trailer and my 66 SS 396 Chevelle. We did car shows from Fl. to Conn. and had no problems.

S/F
Larry 1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteOn View Post
Given the answers to the questions posted and the other criteria I'm using, I'd appreciate suggestions of brands and specific models you think I should look at.

I think I'm looking for a Class C.

Thanks!
Yep, a $15k Class C is doable, most likely a 1998-2001, in good shape can be had for that price. Here's one on ebay, under $15k that looks pretty good. 2001 COACHMEN CLASS C.22 FT.EXCELLENT CONDITION.MANY OPTIONS in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors It even has a generator!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
If its a class C your thinking of buying then head out and look at some. You'll figure out pretty quick what you like and don't like. We looked at 100's of units before settling on our 5er. Do your homework check out the reviews on the class C's you look at. Best advice is whatever you decide on, get it inspected before signing on the dotted line. As for an extended warranty/service agreement....you might think of self financing your own....put money aside every month just like you would for your sticks and bricks. Probably think about getting good Sam emergency roadside assistance plan though.....nothing worse then breaking down with not many options. And the last bit of advice is to keep asking questions because most everyone on this forum started out where you are......thinkin about and wondering how to buy their first RV........Good luck
Old 05-31-2013, 11:05 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
Yep, a $15k Class C is doable, most likely a 1998-2001, in good shape can be had for that price. Here's one on ebay, under $15k that looks pretty good. 2001 COACHMEN CLASS C.22 FT.EXCELLENT CONDITION.MANY OPTIONS in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors It even has a generator!
Thanks Bubwheat. The year range is helpful.

Looks like they might have a curtain hiding the overhead bed option. Haven't seen any info on how much clearance they might have. And no luck yet finding the info in a search here at irv2.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:20 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
The Bs look a little small for living quarters for a week at a time. Maybe I'm not as much a minimalist as I like to think I am. I saw one A Class that was about 12K and shorter than average. Looked at so many online that I long forgot what it was. This weekend I go to look in person.

So who do I get to inspect an RV? I buy my cars used and have always been able to get an inspection from a service I trusted. But RVs...?

Nice, now I now Sam has emergency roadside. Haven't see anyone mention AAA. Is Sam the same type of thing?

Yeah, I'm not much on service plans either.

Thanks, Fred. The very fact that there are so many options and everyone's situation is so different makes it hard to have a lot of standard answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
If its a class C your thinking of buying then head out and look at some. You'll figure out pretty quick what you like and don't like. We looked at 100's of units before settling on our 5er. Do your homework check out the reviews on the class C's you look at. Best advice is whatever you decide on, get it inspected before signing on the dotted line. As for an extended warranty/service agreement....you might think of self financing your own....put money aside every month just like you would for your sticks and bricks. Probably think about getting good Sam emergency roadside assistance plan though.....nothing worse then breaking down with not many options. And the last bit of advice is to keep asking questions because most everyone on this forum started out where you are......thinkin about and wondering how to buy their first RV........Good luck