Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2015, 05:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
You posted that you had $2000 in unexpected costs.
This is true but how many sellers put new tires on RVs they plan to sell? He would have rejected the Southwind and moved to the next RV. We would still be paying him/her to run around middle TN looking at smelly, dirty, damaged abused rigs the owners swore where clean and in excellent condition. All would have old tires. So he would never find an RV acceptable.

Quote:
An inspection by you or a qualified person would have cost you less than 10% of that. " pay me now or pay me later "
You still didn't answer the question. How many rigs did your tech drive around your state to see and what did he charge per hour? How many did he look at before he passed yours as having no problems and new tires?

Every single used RV we bought had tires between 8 and 10 yrs old though all had a lot of thread.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
We thought we had a good one picked out and a good deal negotiated but solid due-diligence proved us wrong and I reported about it here on this forum: Pre-purchase Inspection Reveals $30k in Hidden Defects

We continued looking and I found another coach in Texas (about 2,500 miles from our home) but I was unable to identify a good RV inspection service in that area. In preparation for trip down there I took my wife to a dealer about 250 miles away who had the same unit but at a much higher price. I figured it would allow her to get a better perception of the coach we were considering give us some good discussion points. It turned out the dealer really wanted to sell and, after giving him the comparative data to confirm, they finally brought their price down to a comparable point and we concluded a deal after I did a thorough inspection.

It is a little over a year later now and 10 months of full-time living and travelling (15K miles) in the rig and we're still happy campers.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:52 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I would have the rv inspected only after going through it myself and agreeing on a price.
After inspection.
Some folks find it a good investment.
Some dont.
I do.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:05 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
In order of frustration:
1) RVs that are advertised as something they are not:
RV's advertised in excellent condition showing indications of current water leaks, delam, crows feet.

RV's advertised as non-smoker that stink of the de-ionizer and have cigarette burns in the front seats.

RV's advertised as "everything works" only to be told that the systems were never tested or that no information is available.

You really can't tell from photos...

2) RVs that are advertised without prices, only to find out that people are asking above retail and have "average" condition RVs.

3) Dealers that like to list NADA values, but select 2-pages of options that came with the base model, basically double-counting the value.

4) No maintenance records.

5) Brand specific forums (Keystone) that perceive questions about quality as "attacks" on the brand. IE -don't ask questions about BBB reports or reference well documented issues.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:06 PM   #19

I'm currently selling my MH and have bought/sold dozens of cars, cycles, boats...even planes. Folks, it's a whole lot easier on your karma to tell people what you see and not what you'd like to see. Be truthful.

If somebody comes to see the coach and they don't see what you told them, then they have every right to re-negotiate with vengeance.

If they see what they expected, then both parties are happy and you can take them for their test drive with both of you smiling.

Life's short; don't cut corners off of it.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:17 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
What I found was that I should have started looking at all the over-priced junk before I priced and sold ours!
Old 06-24-2015, 12:34 AM   #21

We sold the house last August. I had been looking at coaches for a couple of years and began earnestly seeking a coach when the house went under contract, but didn't try to make any deals until after closing.

So now the house is sold and we're living in our 25ft travel trailer parked in our daughter's driveway. We need a coach, now!

Called the dealer that had our number one pick. Someone put a deposit down on the coach we wanted about an hour before my call. Dealer says the buyer has 48hrs to come up with financing. We have financing already arranged and cash in hand. Dealer doesn't think the financing will go through so we wait. The buyers financing is approved just be fore the deadline expires. We move onto coach two. Same thing.

Move on to coach three. This one is at the top of our budget. We're $5k away from a deal when the dealer breaks off all communication.

Wife says enough, lets get in the truck and go see some coaches. We live in Wyoming and were looking for a older Prevost. There aren't any close so we head to Legacy Coach in Rockwall, TX. Called them up and told them what we were looking for and that we were headed their way. Two days later we get there. They have several Prevost's in our budget and we settle on a 97 Royale conversion when my wife spots an 04 Monaco Signature with 4 slides. We look at it and really like it and my wife really likes the additional room, but it isn't a Prevost. It's now the weekend and Legacy Coach is closed. They made arrangements for us to have access to both coaches over the weekend so we could decide. On Monday morning we decided on the Monaco and made a deal.

And we've been running the wheels off our Monaco since the end of August 2014. We've put 30k miles on the coach so far, and God willing, will put many, many, more miles on it in the years to come.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:33 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I drove 4 hours to another state to a dealership to look at 5 used Winnebago's. Conversation with dealer prior to driving that far was: "Are there any leaks in the roof or delamination? No Mam, none at all. They are all in good condition and worth the money we are asking for them." So I explained I WOULD NOT buy any MH with a roof leak or delamination so please don't waste my time since I am driving 4 hours to come look.

I drove 4 hours, first rig had such a bad roof leak it included the entire driver's side from one end to the other. I looked at it, turned to him and said, "What is that, looks like black mold to me and I asked you specifically if there was a roof leak and you said no." He mumbled at which point I said, "Apparently you don't know what a roof leak is right?"

Went to the other 4 MH's with the same or worse. Went on a few roofs and I can just tell you that there was literally rolled up areas that were open to the outside on one, obvious leaks around AC's, more mold at ceiling level around bathrooms and fans, and one MH with the floor cut up so bad that it had curled up.

Needless to say, I drove home the 4 hours without a MH. I did not have this happen closer to home, but you do have to look carefully and make sure that you look and smell as stated. No guarantees buying used or new.
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:57 PM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When buying our first Class A we found a private seller that advertised it in excellent condition. I called and she assured me that her husband was meticulous with it, that is ran great and needed nothing. Her husband had died and now she decided to part with it.

When we got there we found a completely different MH than she had described on the phone. What she described is what she remembered when she had all those great years with her hubby. I am sure in its day it was nice. The problem was that he did not recently pass away, he had died like 10 years ago and the camper had not been moved once in those 10 years.

It was sunk in the ground all the way to the frame. The windshield had a bad leak. All of the blinds had been left open so the interior was completely faded and dry rotted. It was in very bad shape. Like as in scrap it shape yet she wanted the highest end of book value for it.

As I spoke to the lady you could see that this was an emotional thing for her. It took her 10 years to even think about selling it and what she saw when she looked at it was her husband. Due to that she did not see any of the things wrong with it. I did not have the heart to tell her ANY of the things that were wrong with it. No need to break her heart.......again. I just said that it was very nice but not right for us and we left.

I don't know if she ever sold it but I do know that I was not upset about it. I had traveled a few hours to get there and a few hours to get back but that is nothing compared to what she went through. I hope it all worked out for her.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #24

Boy were we ever lucky with ours. We saw it advertised in our local newspaper and discovered it was only 30 miles away. A long chat with the owners over the phone revealed they'd had to give up the life-style due to medical conditions.

We went to see it, drove it a few miles with the owner, negotiated a very good price (about $8K under KBB) and bought it. New tires were needed (2K for 6). Just before the first trip of our 3rd season, the fridge died (about $1300), but other than that we had no issues at all.

We eventually realised that the cost of fuel and campground stays had increased substantially and we were drawing down on savings to keep going. We reluctantly decided to sell. The was the most appalling aspect of the whole experience.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #25

Horrible experience, as I was not even looking to buy. I had gone on a cruise with my old roommate who married a friend of mine, her father showed his bumper pull 27' toy hauler to another person who also went on the cruise with us. He has a little money and said he wanted it. I had only stuck my head inside for a moment and said "nice camper, wish I could afford it". 6 months later, I get a call saying that the other guy had not come through and if I wanted it, I had the next shot. I didn't know anything about it, so I asked for details. 6 year old trailer, with all kinds of things upgraded. Booked at 15-20k take it or not at 4k. It is what the salesman offered him as a trade in and he was so insulted, he said he would sell it to someone he knew at that price, before letting the salesman make anything on it. I bought it after looking at it for 30 minutes. No regrets.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #26

Who am I kidding? I used to camp 3 to 4 times a year and now it is 12 or more times. I had to upgrade my truck from a paid for 1500 to a 2500. I miss all that time I camp from work, so less pay. WHY DID I BUY IT?
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #27

RV inspection $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Not everyone has that kind of money. What did you pay the last tech per hour? How many RVs did he pass before he agreed yours was a good one? Most RVs are not around the corner or down the road but can be 25, 50 or even more miles away. He may have to drive many miles and look at many RV.... $$$$$
We looked at and purchased our current motor home from the original owners. I am a certified Airframe and Powerplant mechanic, and reasonably conversant with regards to mechanical stuff. The owners appeared to be really honest and thoroughly explained their maintenance and usage. Everything they said appeared to be backed up by the condition of the coach.

I STILL took it to a Freightliner repair station for a look see. Did I do it because I didn't trust the sellers? Or did I do it because I didn't trust myself? No, I did it because whether or not the sellers were being truthful, or whether or not not I was competent in my inspection, I wanted a professional, 3rd party to look at it. Did he find anything? No, aside from a comment that the air drier could use replacing, and some general comments on overall condition. Was it pricey? About $200.00. Was it wasted money? You might argue that it was since he didn't find anything, but I just look at it as insurance. He COULD have found a major issue that the sellers may or may not have known about, and that might have let us to not buy the coach, like I don't know, tires that needed replacing. Either way, I believe it was $200.00 well spent, whether or not we purchased that coach.

You may even end up paying $200.00 two or three times, and find two or three coaches that had more problems than were first apparent, but once again, money well spent in my opinion. You can even use the results of an inspection to renegotiate the purchase price. For instance, Hey, your tires are original tires on a 12 year old coach. New tires are $3500.00, I think you should reduce your price by that since you said the tires were good. Might work, might not, but at least you will be going into it with your eyes open. And, please don't misunderstand when I mentioned tires in two examples, I was not throwing stones at you, rather, it is something that most people new to RV's don't know, and I didn't until I did a lot of research on this forum and others. I became expert at reading tire codes! Anyway, hope the coach you bought works for you and your get a lot of enjoyment out of it, go ahead and get RV'ing!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:59 PM   #28

Oh, and by the way, this coach had brand new tires put on 5 months before we purchase it. The date codes showed that they were manufactured 2 months before they were put on, so yes, you can find used rigs that have brand new tires! In their case, they were selling unexpectedly because of health issues. He was 81, she was 78, and although they never intended on selling, life was telling them that it was time to go back to a brick and mortar.

Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust