Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2015, 01:18 PM   #29

love this site and forum. I also looked at numerous units and the normal bs from sellers and dealers. Excellent condition, looks like new, one owner (needed new tires, painting the exterior, plus a lot of interior cosmetic item/fixes and other repairs, a/c, hot water, tanks ruptured to mention just a few). Plus all the comments above in other posts. I figured if I was going to spend this type of money to refurb that I might as well buy a new one. Which I did! Bought mine in Jan 2015 and no major probs/repairs with it at all. Plus its one week home and two weeks on the road in it. Loving the life.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #30

I bought our current RV used from a small, by appointment only, US dealer 750kms from where I live in Canada. We made a deal through email and my family drove down to inspect and purchase. We stopped along the way to buy a WDH and some RV supplies.

The one year old RV was in brand new condition! The nipples were still on the tires and nothing looked like it had ever been used. The only indication the RV had been used were some screw holes under a cabinet. We imported the RV into Canada and saved a bunch of money. The trailer has been flawless.

Thanks Brisk Sales in Tea, SD.

The last trailer we looked at before this one was 250kms away. "Absolutely perfect condition. One owner" Well no. It had been placed on a seasonal site since new. Never washed or maintained since. Delamination everywhere. Lots of broken trim. Storage door hanging off. Wasn't even close to white any more. Tires rotted. It looked a lot like those trailers you see buried in the back of a farmer's field. I didn't even step inside. I wouldn't have taken the RV for free.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:02 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
I would have the rv inspected only after going through it myself and agreeing on a price.
After inspection.
Some folks find it a good investment.
Some dont.
I do.
So would I if such a thing existed here. No one I called had a tech PERIOD, no less one who went to people's homes or businesses to inspect rigs someone wants to buy. Consider yourself lucky to have such people where you live.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:07 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
I'm currently selling my MH and have bought/sold dozens of cars, cycles, boats...even planes. Folks, it's a whole lot easier on your karma to tell people what you see and not what you'd like to see. Be truthful.
This was our motto also and the rigs still sold! We hid nothing and made sure they knew all the issues, if there were issues, we were aware of. Honesty is always the best policy.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:18 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
.....We eventually realised that the cost of fuel and campground stays had increased substantially and we were drawing down on savings to keep going. We reluctantly decided to sell. The was the most appalling aspect of the whole experience.
Due to the same reason we don't take too many long trips. But we save a bundle when we do with the Senior Pass and PPA membership... plus we spend most nights on the road either boondocking or in a WalMart lot. Neither one of us are crazy about the average CG and wont pay $25+ just to rest a bit and sleep. The cost of gas kills us. Now we mostly use our RV for local camping for 50% off at a few local COEs and to snow-bird in FL. We found a place for $220 a month so will stay there this coming winter.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:32 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
.... I became expert at reading tire codes! Anyway, hope the coach you bought works for you and your get a lot of enjoyment out of it, go ahead and get RV'ing!
It's great if the seller allows you to take the coach for a check before you pay for it. Wouldn't it be nice if they all did? I seriously doubt any of those we met selling their coaches would allow it even of we knew where to take it in their county. None of these coaches were close to where we live. The few that were weren't even worth asking to drive off the lot with.

So far no major problems. We replaced the tires and commode that was so low it looked to be designed for toddlers and didn't hold water. DH replaced the jackknife sofa with a Futon as the bed part and mattress were wrecked. We took it on a 500 mi trip and there were no issues. However I don't think the manual leveling jacks are working right.

We still haven't got back to trying to remove those spots and streaks in the glass. We're going to finish the inside first since it's been too hot and humid here to do anything outside. We removed the passenger seat since no one will be going with us - it was behind the seat next to the driver. We put a small dresser in that space and a large Petco cat tree/condo for the kitties.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:46 AM   #35

Quote:
Oh, and by the way, this coach had brand new tires put on 5 months before we purchase it. The date codes showed that they were manufactured 2 months before they were put on, so yes, you can find used rigs that have brand new tires! In their case, they were selling unexpectedly because of health issues. He was 81, she was 78, and although they never intended on selling, life was telling them that it was time to go back to a brick and mortar.

You really lucked out on that one. Most had tires that are well worn that we looked at, or looked good like the ones on the SouthWind and Class-C and Sunline before it, yet were 8 to 10 yrs old. Again, we would never believe one word a seller tells us ever again. I told DH this is the last RV we're buying. He better be satisfied with this one because we're losing money on every one we buy and sell. We're going through our savings faster than expected - and we're not getting any younger.

I fear he's going to regret this switch because we lost one bedroom. Our TT had a Queen in the front and bunks in the rear. I have to sleep in the living area now and he'll have the bedroom in the rear with is C-Pap machine. I'm not happy about this but said nothing to him. For camping trips this is fine but I don't see how it's going to work for 4 or 5 months snow-birding. The futon, even with a foam topper, is far from comfortable.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:55 AM   #36

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would not let a buyer take my MH to an inspector. I would not let them test drive it either. This is not just the case when I sell a MH but it is the case when I sell any vehicle. I'm not doing it to be a jerk. I do it to protect myself. I had a friend that let a potential buyer take his custom Harley chopper for a test ride before he bought it. He totaled the bike just down the street. The insurance company would not pay a penny. The guy had no money so suing him went no where.

Ever since then my deal is this. Pay for it. Then test drive it. If it is not what you want, come back and I will give you your money back. I put this in writing for any buyer that buys a vehicle from me. You can take it for a full afternoon and drive it all you want. As long as it is returned the same day and in the same condition I will give them 100% of the cash back. Anyone that does not believe that is a fair arrangement can take it or leave it.

Also its sad to say but there is also a liability when someone test drives your vehicle. If they get into an accident you can rest assure that YOU will be on the hook in some way. Sad but true.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
We really lucked out, I guess!! Husband saw rig advertised for sale, I don't even know where, and had me meet him at the rigs location to check it out. An elderly gentleman showed us the 2000 Fiesta, husband looked under the hood and the dog house cover, I looked through the interior and we bought it on the spot! Never even drove it! I guess its true that God looks after fools and little children as, in retrospect, I certainly think we qualify for former!!

BTW, we got an awesome deal and an awesome rig!!
Old 06-30-2015, 07:00 AM   #38

to mechanic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magilla1835 View Post
I would not let a buyer take my MH to an inspector. I would not let them test drive it either. This is not just the case when I sell a MH but it is the case when I sell any vehicle. I'm not doing it to be a jerk. I do it to protect myself. I had a friend that let a potential buyer take his custom Harley chopper for a test ride before he bought it. He totaled the bike just down the street. The insurance company would not pay a penny. The guy had no money so suing him went no where.

Ever since then my deal is this. Pay for it. Then test drive it. If it is not what you want, come back and I will give you your money back. I put this in writing for any buyer that buys a vehicle from me. You can take it for a full afternoon and drive it all you want. As long as it is returned the same day and in the same condition I will give them 100% of the cash back. Anyone that does not believe that is a fair arrangement can take it or leave it.

Also its sad to say but there is also a liability when someone test drives your vehicle. If they get into an accident you can rest assure that YOU will be on the hook in some way. Sad but true.
I'm glad that you have figured out something that works for you! It is your choice to refuse to have a mechanic look at it, or to allow a test drive. Having said that, it is my choice to look elsewhere! When we purchased our current Motor Home, we test drove it to a Freightliner service center to have an inspection performed. That was after we agreed on a price, put down a cash deposit, and signed the purchase agreement. The service center found no major problems, and very few MINOR problems. We drove back to the sellers place, paid for the coach, and took delivery at the DMV where the paperwork was completed and the title was exchanged. Worked well for us all. I did not ask to drive it alone, I did not take it out of the sellers sight, I verified and proved that my insurance also covered me while driving it and that I had a current drivers license. Had the seller refused to let me test drive it, or refused to have it taken to a service center, we wouldn't have purchased the coach. Your choice, my choice.

I always insist on exchanging money, transferring title at a DMV due to a previous sale many years ago where I sold a motorcycle, signed the title, signed the bill of sale, got the money, and they guy never transferred title. . . I had kept and mailed in the documents that showed that I sold the vehicle, or I would have been up s**t creek without a start battery, . . . or something like that. Here's my question, given that situation, and the new owner having transferred title and paid sales tax, then test drove it, would you have paid his sales tax?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:06 AM   #39

sold bike

Quote:

Oh, forgot to address: If you had verified that the perspective purchaser had insurance and a motorcycle license, and you still have current insurance with collision, your insurance company would have had no legal grounds not to have paid off on the damage. If they DID refuse to pay, then an appears that one of the above conditions did not exist. Possibly lack of collision insurance. That sucks for you, and I know collision insurance isn't mandatory. I probably would have refused to let him test drive it too if I did not have insurance, and he didn't either, or he didn't have a license, but I certainly would have either ridden it to a dealership, or trailered it and let a mechanic look it over. I even would have let him ride on the back while I was in front! Just saying.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:59 AM   #40

Quote:

100% agree, and I do the same thing. Why?

Stockbroker looks at my 911 and wants to take it to his mechanic for a PPI.
"Sure, no problem.", says I. Several hours later, mechanic hasn't seen the guy. Night-time, nothing. My Sons form a high-school posse and find the car at a club downtown. Guy is dead drunk at the bar.... we get the car back, luckily. Oh, cops will not pursue a vehicle as "stolen" if you gave somebody the keys.

Kid shows up with two buddies (on sport bikes) to look at a ZX6 sport bike. Asks for a test drive, I say, "Pay me and you have 15 minutes to decide if there's anything wrong." He pays, fires the bike up and freezes as he's tooling down the straight driveway.....right into the curb across the street. $1000 damage in 5 seconds...

Couple comes to look at a boat and ask for a test ride. He's at the helm and takes an hour of riding before I say, "let's head it in". He says he'll think about it; last I saw of him after wasting an hour and $50 worth of fuel. Thank goodness his gf was really easy on the eyes.

Pay me and take it wherever you want to go and return it if you find something different from what I said. That way, it's your insurance claim if something happens.
In two of the three instance above, something bad could have happened and I'd be in the middle of it
Old 06-30-2015, 09:18 AM   #41

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Oh, forgot to address: If you had verified that the perspective purchaser had insurance and a motorcycle license, and you still have current insurance with collision, your insurance company would have had no legal grounds not to have paid off on the damage. If they DID refuse to pay, then an appears that one of the above conditions did not exist. Possibly lack of collision insurance. That sucks for you, and I know collision insurance isn't mandatory. I probably would have refused to let him test drive it too if I did not have insurance, and he didn't either, or he didn't have a license, but I certainly would have either ridden it to a dealership, or trailered it and let a mechanic look it over. I even would have let him ride on the back while I was in front! Just saying.

I believe that my post was not clear and has caused some confusion so please allow me to clear up a few things.

A: I don't stop a buyer from having a mechanic look at a vehicle that I am selling. They can either do it at my house or the buyer can pay for the vehicle and then take it to the mechanic. As long as it is returned that day, in the same condition, then they will get a full refund. I want my buyer to want the vehicle so I don't get upset if they back out.

B: They don't need to register it, pay sales tax and then get it inspected. Once the give me a deposit of 100% down (yes I said 100% down) then they test drive it on my registration. They have a contract in hand that allows them to get their money back. This eliminates risk fro both parties. They can come first thing in the morning and the drive it all day if they want. They can even return it with an empty tank of gas. I don't care.

C: For what its worth....... When I sold my last motorhome, the guy showed up, looked at it for about 45 minutes and said he wanted to buy it. I was selling at a low price and he was afraid that someone else was going to snatch it up. He said that he thought his wife would like it. I told him that I would hold it for 1 week and let him get his wife to come check it out before he paid for it. I turned down his offer for a deposit (risky on my part). I told him that it was important that both he AND his wife wanted it and that when spending that kind of money it would be best if they were both there for the decision. He was so relieved that I would wait. A week later his wife came out and she was not as impressed as he was. He felt like he had to buy it because I held it for him. I told him to go home and think about it. I would give him some time. I really wanted them to be happy with their decision. They came back the following week and bought the camper. They drove it home, called me when they got there to say there were no issues and that was that. Both parties were happy.

Prior to them picking it up. I drove it, changed the oil in the motor and gen set. I shampooed the carpets, polished all the wood and washed the entire rig inside and out. Every single minor thing that was wrong with it was pointed out prior to sale. No surprises that I am aware of.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:15 AM   #42

Guess we've been lucky. All 7 of my cars out of 10 sold to the person that test drove them but hubby went with them with protection and has a Concealed weapons permit. Better safe than sorry. But we've been lucky. Sorry to hear all the problems some have had.

Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust