Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Well son... back when I learned to drive about 50 years ago (About, not exactly) ... You had 3 pedals (Not counting the parking brake and on one car the windshield washer) and a button (or two) under the dash......

Yup, we used to use that pedal on the left side of the steering column.

And the button(s) too.

Have not done that in ... Years (last time I used the left side pedal would have been what 1996 or 1997.. Daughter last used one 2 winters ago, she however has never seen the floor mounted button)

And your point is??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
I am with JohnBoy's thinking. Point me in somewhat right direction and ill try from there.

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
And your point is??
I too wonder.

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
I am with JohnBoy's thinking. Point me in somewhat right direction and ill try from there.
My point was more about a person asking about their water heater and getting answers on how to fix the fridge which turns in replace it with a Samsung.

And the other poster was right I don't have to read this or respond to it. I could just say drop it off at the shop and fill out a repair form and pay 120 a hour and we will fix it. So helping you guys out for free is counter to having you pay me or others to fix it for you.
On the other hand if you want to learn how to fix it I can help you, if your happy just tossing expensive parts at it and having a bad time in Your RV because it don't work the way you want I am OK with that too.

Every system in your RV has a Sequence of operation some very simple like flip the switch and the lights come on others have multiple parts that can fail. Some have multiple choices depending on options and install by the manufacture. Such as inverter control panels may have a AGS button but may not have AGS wired because it was a option. Electric awnings may or may not have a wind sensor but the troubleshooting is different if it does. Most in dash stereos have dozens of options I have yet to see one that uses all of them. Many coaches have multiple slide outs and often each slide out has a different system moving it in and out.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #19

It takes more than a plan (not knocking that comment). One also needs a clue about how the systems work. Most of the theory is covered in basic shop, physics 101, and Chemistry 101 or what used to be a good High School education. ;-) Too much today seems to be teaching how to follow a decision tree with no information about where the tree comes from.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
And your point is??
Wa8yxm was just saying that without specific experience/knowledge relating to the question, you probably cannot answer the question. Nothing solves problems better than experience. As a case in point I recently had a "professional oil change service" performed on my car and the service tech reported that I had a leaking wheel bearing seal. I elected not to have it repaired on the spot as I could fix it myself later. When I checked myself, I immediately saw that the oil leak was a busted/leaking front strut and not a bearing seal. The young service tech did not have the experience needed. Many times the Op will not have the experience to explain the problem sufficiently, so that "we" can give good advice. Eventually someone will ask the Op the right question and the Op's problem is solved. "Elementary my dear Watson" is never obvious to Mr Watson....
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
It takes more than a plan (not knocking that comment). One also needs a clue about how the systems work. Most of the theory is covered in basic shop, physics 101, and Chemistry 101 or what used to be a good High School education. ;-) Too much today seems to be teaching how to follow a decision tree with no information about where the tree comes from.
What is really bad is when you call for tech support and realize the person your talking to knows less about the product than you do and is reading from a prompt screen.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #22

Man, some of you guys need to calm down....we are all here for information....its a give and take situation, and it is all FREE. I come here for ideas, then decide how to move forward, its INVALUABLE to me.........I for one appreciate Everyone's comments....right or wrong......its called INFORMATION. Enjoy.....
Old 09-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #23

Oh....BTW, I seldom post unless I think it helps.....this was one of those times! LOL
Old 09-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #24

Actually some of it is just opinion and shear guess work with little or no actual information. Made even worse when the wrong info is given to solve the issue and it includes throw the part away and buy a different setup.
At least on my fishing website most of the guys actually know how to catch fish.

So what I gather is some in here would rather get a long list of various guesses rather than correct answers?
Old 09-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
One of the things I think about when I hear the reference to "some guy at the park" is that it could have been someone very knowledgeable. Unfortunately the guy I am talking to may not be able to remember what he had for lunch 30 minutes ago or is able to completely muddle up information he heard an hour ago.

I do not mind information when I am trying to solve a problem if it seems relevant to the problem. As stated if I am working on the water system information on how to change a fridge is annoying. I will consider any information provided about a water system and using deductive reasoning decide whether to try the suggested solution or not.

I am not going to ask each person who is trying to help if they are qualified and to document their bona fides when I am trying to fix my problem.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Actually some of it is just opinion and shear guess work with little or no actual information. Made even worse when the wrong info is given to solve the issue and it includes throw the part away and buy a different setup.

So what I gather is some in here would rather get a long list of complete BS rather than correct answers?

I hear you.

The problem is that most people are trying to be helpful and provide information from their own experience and what they can remember. They do not think it is BS or know it is BS.

If someone with knowledge is deliberately feeding you misleading information in an attempt to sabotage your efforts or to make the problem worse or make you the butt of a practical joke, that is reprehensible.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
Wa8yxm was just saying that without specific experience/knowledge relating to the question, you probably cannot answer the question. Nothing solves problems better than experience. As a case in point I recently had a "professional oil change service" performed on my car and the service tech reported that I had a leaking wheel bearing seal. I elected not to have it repaired on the spot as I could fix it myself later. When I checked myself, I immediately saw that the oil leak was a busted/leaking front strut and not a bearing seal. The young service tech did not have the experience needed. Many times the Op will not have the experience to explain the problem sufficiently, so that "we" can give good advice. Eventually someone will ask the Op the right question and the Op's problem is solved. "Elementary my dear Watson" is never obvious to Mr Watson....

If in fact that was what was meant, seems like a very odd and confusing way of stating it.

Didn't make since at all to me.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"1mainiac"....keep helping out. I feel a sense of gratification too, when I can help someone diagnose and fix their RV without spending money. Every once and awhile you hit the nail on the head and the OP is very thankful for an exact diagnosis. That's what makes me come back and try to help.

I think people come here most often for opinions on how to fix their RV, some are here just to read and learn, some like to show off their upgrades and a few tout good repair shops and products.

There are also people who don't express their thoughts well and give vague descriptions of their issues. Occasionally, I see Canadians, whose first language is probably French, and have a difficult time writing in proper English. I think that's the time that they need to be quizzed for a more exact description of their problem. There's a poster on another forum, Wolfe 10, an RV repairman, who always provides good info, but often spends a few posts, drilling down to the root of the problem.

We do need to recognize that not everyone is good at describing their problem, but before we throw out wild repairs, spend some time asking more questions.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground