Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The importance of a great navigator

My wife is such a great navigator. She plans the day of travel days before on paper and monitors the route on her iPhone and Garmin GPS. The reason for double monitoring is because the Garmin is often out to lunch on its routing. Say were coming into Vegas. Garmin wants you to get off way before the centre of town and follow secondary routes with all the local traffic and lights galore. Yes we have adjusted the fastest vs the direct route which is the only menu item affecting the pace of travel. My point is, when the directions go off the rails, is when the stress and fireworks begin. Low bridges may be one of the issues when you lose your way. I'm guessing my rigs 12' high. Have I actually measure top to bottom? No. There are plenty of potholes to step into when you're lost and stressed. I'm just saying may the Great Spirit bless the Navigator!
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Yep.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My navigator is good when she is awake.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadog View Post
It's even worse if you are not awake!

When I glance over and see my navigator asleep I always shout out, "ARE YOU ASLEEP?" Works every time.

Unfortunately when the day's drive is complete and we are all set up and I'm sitting in the easy chair cat napping I hear, "ARE YOU ASLEEP?" I swear it is a recording.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now now gents, we all have our foibles. My "navigator" is admittedly directional-ly challenged. So count your blessings as does ramblinboy.

So I am pilot, navigator, set up and take down and quartermaster. Fortunately I love my job.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
Cannot imagine a life so organized. Glad you have a system that works for you.
I drive until we get tired and then take a break. Look in the book and see about a CG near our route when we want to stop for the night. See something interesting enroute - take a side trip. Too much organization makes me feel like I am still on a work schedule and although that was not bad, it didn't allow for much random stuff either. JMHO
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jamestown KOA

Speaking of GPS error. The Garmin we have routed us to a different exit off I-94. We drove south and turned into a westbound road. It was a rural road and as we progressed we saw a sign that said there is no RV park here. We were able to turn around then call the KOA. He said we were lucky most people keep on driving and cant turn around.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadog View Post
My navigator gives me the same amount of help awake or asleep.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #9
Community Administrator

My DW had decided to declare herself Nagravator ever since we saw this cartoon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2673909880.png
Views:	130
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	35714

It has stuck and I may say ( since she doesn't read my posts ) that its a well earned title

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Be thankful for your garmin.... even if you've not updated your maps (which you should do periodically)

my garmins update the maps quarterly so they usually route us very well...

Both the 2012 Ford Sync and 2011 Audi Navs are horribly out of date.... and could get you lost !
(and with the audi we were one of the lucky ones- others had no updates from 2009 thru 2012 so older audis were lost )

Trading in her Audi on the new 13 Explorer Sport we demanded one free updated map later this year we'll see.... why I still keep my trusty Garmin around....
Old 03-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not just Garmin

If the poor farmer had to have a sign on his lawn saying theres no rv park here it probably wasnt just Garmins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Be thankful for your garmin.... even if you've not updated your maps (which you should do periodically)

my garmins update the maps quarterly so they usually route us very well...

Both the 2012 Ford Sync and 2011 Audi Navs are horribly out of date.... and could get you lost !
(and with the audi we were one of the lucky ones- others had no updates from 2009 thru 2012 so older audis were lost )

Trading in her Audi on the new 13 Explorer Sport we demanded one free updated map later this year we'll see.... why I still keep my trusty Garmin around....
Old 03-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #12

Me and Delorme are buds and have been for over 20 years. Won't leave home without her. That lets my bride do her thing
Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have never used gps in the last 15 years of travel, no need for one now. and we travel 4 to 5 months every winter, never know what or where we are headed. to plan would ruin the adventure of RVing.......
stryker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
All I will say is, it is a good thing class A's are wide and the navigator sits far to the right, and has short arms! Just kidding the wrong turns are usually my fault.