Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Kitchen Sink

Having a disposal and city sewer at home we are used to pouring grease, coffee grounds, or anything we want down the sink. How do I stop my kids from doing this in the RV - they are so used to it. I admit I have poured leftover soup down the sink as well before thinking about it.
DaveTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Community Administrator

I don't know how you can stop your kids other than cutting off their allowance . We don't put anything down the sink. We wipe out each dish before it gets washed and use a screen mesh strainer. Putting stuff like you described will clog the pipes and can't be good for the grey tank.
IMO
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #3

I bought these drain screens at my local RV supply dealer. Just place it in the drain and empty into the garbage. I also wipe out everything into the garbage before rinsing/washing. Maybe a sink monitor will help

Drain Screen
Attached Images

Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Save used/dirty paper towels in coffee can. let pan cool and greese will solidify. scoop greese into coffee can. Paper towels absorb liquids so not a real big mess in the trash. Do not pour greese outside. Ants love it.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #5

Even though you are on city water, dumping grease down any drain is a recipe for an expensive plumbing bill. It will clog all your pipes long before it ever gets to the city sewer.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #6

When our kids were little we just told them not to do that. Never a problem.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
When our kids were little we just told them not to do that. Never a problem.
I think the issue for us is they are so used to being able to do it at home it's hard to change behavior overnight. I like the idea of screens or a stopper, I'll pick some up ASAP.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Having a disposal and city sewer at home we are used to pouring grease, coffee grounds, or anything we want down the sink. How do I stop my kids from doing this in the RV - they are so used to it. I admit I have poured leftover soup down the sink as well before thinking about it.
Your sink at home will be ready for repair sometime soon.
We rented a place with a garbage disposal and had to fix it after putting coffee grounds down it, with water running the whole time.
You stop your kids by educating them and reminding them.
Think about it, set the example and remember an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

this might help:
Foods That Should Never Be Put In The Kitchen Sink Garbage Disposal - The Fun Times Guide to Food and Cooking
HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post

Your sink at home will be ready for repair sometime soon.
We rented a place with a garbage disposal and had to fix it after putting coffee grounds down it, with water running the whole time.
You stop your kids by educating them and reminding them.
Think about it, set the example and remember an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

this might help:
Foods That Should Never Be Put In The Kitchen Sink Garbage Disposal - The Fun Times Guide to Food and Cooking
I guess we are lucky as we have been in this house since 1992 and never had any problem even with 4 kids dumping things! We have a Keurig now so no more coffee grounds anyway.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Sewer plant operators hate grease it makes there life he!!. Every time your sewer bill goes up it's because of the cost to clean grease and other objects out of the main lines. Trust me I work in that field we can camera lines and determine who puts the most grease in the system and let me just say it's not resturantes.
inspecterbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
You couldn't give me a garbage disposal. I one that I had to replace because my teenaged daughter insisted on overloading it, causing it to burn up. Even when she got sprayed in the face a few times because I made her hold the sink stoppers down while I went up on the roof to put a running hose down the vent pipe to blast the clog free, she still wouldn't turn on the water before putting stuff in the garbage disposal and insisted on stuffing it instead of feeding it gradually.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
You couldn't give me a garbage disposal. I one that I had to replace because my teenaged daughter insisted on overloading it, causing it to burn up. Even when she got sprayed in the face a few times because I made her hold the sink stoppers down while I went up on the roof to put a running hose down the vent pipe to blast the clog free, she still wouldn't turn on the water before putting stuff in the garbage disposal and insisted on stuffing it instead of feeding it gradually.
They are actually illegal in some parts of NYC! I read a story not too long ago in the NYT about how some people install them illegally! Personally I have used one for 30 plus years and never had issues even with 4 kids who probably put things in it they shouldn't!. Would I miss it if I didn't have one...no.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If your kids continue to dump 'stuff' down the drain, tell them the very first time it is clogged they have to do the unclogging.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Having a disposal and city sewer at home we are used to pouring grease, coffee grounds, or anything we want down the sink. How do I stop my kids from doing this in the RV - they are so used to it.
If your kids have been raised right you simply ask them not to put anything down, (or into), the sinks!
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote