Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
We use the SureFire, also. The G2X is our choice (made in soCal). Not sure if they are supposed to be waterproof, but still work great after being in "the drink" several times. Doubles as a hammer. \ken

Amazon.com: Surefire G2X Pro Dual Output LED Flashlight, Black: Sports & Outdoors

Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #30

Solo Rvers Club
A few years ago I bought a few flashlights that have a handle you 'wind' to make it work, no batteries, it is amazing how bright they are and when they start to dim, just crank them a couple more times and you are good to go.
got them because I always fall prey to dead batteries or failing ones, in the glove box they are perfect for emergencies and you never have to worry about dead batteries when you need that flashlight ther most... I have all sorts of flashlights and these are my 'go to's ' in an emergency ...besides I always know where they are...

I also picked up the same type operation in a radio ... good for loss of power or no power anywhere you may be ... works great!

Old 12-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #31
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
About the color of the flashlight body...I would just like to add...

Unless you are a military Spec Ops type in enemy territory, avoid the flashlight that comes in camo paint. Because, if you drop it on a dark night or in the woods on a dog walk -it might just disappear never to be seen again.
Speaking of camo stuff. I remember buying a camo shirt a couple of years ago adn I remember hanging it in the closet.........haven't seen it since.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #32

I really enjoy Goal Zero products and have a couple of these flashlights:
Torch Solar Crank Flashlight | Lights | Goal Zero. This model is not a small flashlight, but the features and function are outstanding. We use them camping all the time. The area light function is wonderful and the ability to recharge them via the built in solar panel (which works very well). I do not have any experience with any of the other models they offer.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyP View Post
I really enjoy Goal Zero products and have a couple of these flashlights:
Torch Solar Crank Flashlight | Lights | Goal Zero. This model is not a small flashlight, but the features and function are outstanding. We use them camping all the time. The area light function is wonderful and the ability to recharge them via the built in solar panel (which works very well). I do not have any experience with any of the other models they offer.
That does look interesting. I may try it out. My brother once had a crank flashlight. It took a lot of cranking for just a little time of light.
But, this was in the days before LED's . They might be better now. The great thing about the one you listed is that there are many different way to charge it. Probably never use the crank.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I like the Surefires as they are made in the US.
I thought so too but see this Are Some Surefire Flashlights Made in China?

Mag Instrument is a different story About The Company > Mag Instrument, Inc. - Manufacturer of the MagliteŽ Flashlight
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #35

In 2002 I bought a package deal. Two 3 cell D Maglite and One Mini 2 AA Maglite flashlights. The Mini is by the door of the coach and probably gets the most use. The other in bottom drawer front of the coach. The other in the garage. I also have two of the shake type a large and a small. The small I keep in a back pack in the jeep. The other is in the house, my wife likes it.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just to set things straight, flashlights do not emit light, but absorb dark. See below:

BELL LAB PROVES EXISTENCE OF DARK SUCKERS!

For years it has been believed that electric bulbs emitted light. However, recent information from Bell Labs has proven otherwise. Electric bulbs don't emit light; they suck dark. Thus they now call these bulbs dark suckers. The dark sucker theory, according to a spokesman from the Labs, proves the existence of dark, that dark has mass heavier than that of light, and that dark is faster than light.

The basis of the dark sucker theory is that electric bulbs suck dark. Take for example the dark suckers in the room where you are. There is less dark right next to them than there is elsewhere. The larger the dark sucker, the greater its capacity to suck dark. Dark suckers in a parking lot have a much greater capacity than the ones in this room.
As with all things, dark suckers don't last forever. Once they are full of dark, they can no longer suck. This is proven by the black spot on a full dark sucker. A new candle has a white wick. You will notice that after the first use, the wick turns black, representing all the dark which has been sucked into it. If you hold a pencil next to the wick of an operating candle, the tip will turn black because it got in the path of the dark flowing into the candle. Unfortunately, these primitive dark suckers have a very limited range.
There are also portable dark suckers. The bulbs in these can't handle all of the dark by themselves, and must be aided by a dark storage unit. When the dark storage unit is full, it must be either emptied or replaced before the portable dark sucker can operate again.
Dark has mass. When dark goes into a dark sucker, friction from this mass generates heat. Thus it is not wise to touch an operating dark sucker. Candles present a special problem, as the dark must travel in the solid wick instead of through glass. This generates a great amount of heat. Thus it can be very dangerous to touch an operating candle.
Dark is also heavier than light. If you swim deeper and deeper, you notice it gets darker and darker. When you reach a depth of approximately fifty feet, you are in total darkness. This is because the heavier dark sinks to the bottom of the lake and the lighter light floats to the top.
The immense power of dark can be utilized to a man's advantage. We can collect the dark that has settled to the bottom of lakes and push it through turbines, which generates electricity and helps push it to the ocean where it may be safely stored. Prior to turbines, it was much more difficult to get dark from rivers and lakes to the ocean. The Indians recognized this problem and tried to solve it. When on a river in a canoe traveling in the same direction as the flow of dark, they paddled slowly, so as not to stop the flow of dark, but when they traveled against the flow of dark, they paddled quickly so as to help push the dark along its way.
Finally, we must prove that dark is faster than light. If you stand in an illuminated room in front of a closed, dark closet, then slowly open the door, you would see the light slowly enter the closet, but since the dark is so fast, you would not be able to see the dark leave the closet. In conclusion, Bell Labs stated that dark suckers make all our lives much easier. So the next time you look at an electric light bulb, remember that it is indeed a dark sucker.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #37

Science will never be the same!
Old 12-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #38

Forget all those $100 and up flashlights....

I just got this at Walmart and it is THE BEST FLASHLIGHT I HAVE EVER OWNED! And you
Certainly can't beat the price!

I have dozens of led flashlights......some I paid more than this one....

Get this ! You won't be disappointed !

10 watts of power ! 750 lumens ! Rechargeable from 120v AC. or 12v DC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1221476206.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	51989   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3559900959.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	51990  

Old 12-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
I just ordered 4 of the 27 LED lights from Harbor Freight @ $3.49 ea. and they include the 3 AA batteries. They advertise that they will light for 48 hrs. We also carry a crank flashlight.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
our favorite flashlight is the Fenix PD32

Amazon.com: Fenix PD32 Compact 315 Lumen LED Flashlight: Sports & Outdoors

It;s a sick little dude!!! works amazing, and is small and compact. The DW and I each have one.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
our favorite flashlight is the Fenix PD32

Amazon.com: Fenix PD32 Compact 315 Lumen LED Flashlight: Sports & Outdoors

It;s a sick little dude!!! works amazing, and is small and compact. The DW and I each have one.
I don't know about you but I seem to lose a lot more things than I used to so a $70.00 flashlight wouldn't be good for me. I need cheap and disposable.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Got the harbor freight LED flashlights the other day and they are great. They have a hook to hang them and a magnet to hold them in place. The four of them will probably light up the whole MH in an emergency. Money well spent!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote