Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-23-2016, 03:43 PM   #15
iRV2 No Limits Club
We bought our last 5 MH's new, decided to go used on the last one. Paid 44% of original sticker, but we did seem to "inherit" some problems too.
Knowing what I know now we'd have passed on it.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
There is no right or wrong answer.

If you get exactly what you want there should be no issue.

Depreciation is a bogus number. It is only actuated when you sell your unit. As previously mentioned if you amortize it over a number of years the number is small in annual costs.

We have had very few issues. Couple trips to the dealer and all is well. No more or less trips if the unit had been used.

And as previously mentioned. We earned the money, saved the money and will spend the money as we want to enjoy it. Yup we could save the money and the kids could spend it. They are going to get used toys.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #17

The Math of New vs Used

I think it's much more fun to squander the extra $ on cruises, Europe, etc. YMMV
Have fun now. You'll be dead long enough
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We bought what we could afford to pay cash for, it was 11 years old. If I could've afforded what I have new, I probably did it. My plan is to keep it 10 years at least. If I'm still going and our rig is still going all the better.
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #19
Buying new has never been an option for me. I simply did not have the resources to devote to a new motorhome.

But, neither did I go to a dealer and RV shop. I did that for my first TT, long ago, and while I got a bargain, it was not more of one than I could have done elsewhere.

For me, since I am not going to spend the $100,000.00 and more to get what I want, I have had fun looking for the bargain, and finding it.

Of course, when looking for el cheapo, you do spend a lot of your time looking at trash, or near trash, and the like.

I have bought new cars, and used cars. I have much more experience with cars than rvs, simply because I have owned so many more. While I have owned a few new cars, and dozens of used cars (I drive about 50K miles a year), I have found that while I do like being able to account for all the miles a car has driven, if I had to list my favorite cars, in order, the new ones would not make the very top of the list. My 2nd new car would be in the top 5 but that is it. All of my favorites came with a history, and I added to it.

Same with RVs. My current is also my favorite so far, and part of that is because of how little I paid. It came with a crazy story, with adds to its value for me. And now, I own it.and it owns me a bit too.

My current is a 1988 Fleetwood Southwind, a 34 foot gasser. It runs great, fits my needs and I got it for a cost that was less than a Tune up I once had on my favorite car, a Volvo Convertible I once owned.
Karl I. Sagal KarlSagal@Gmail.com
Well done is better than well said. (Ben Franklin)
1988 Fleetwood Southwind, 34'
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:39 PM   #20
A number of years ago we bought a new TT. It was a nice 30’ with a great floor plan and very comfortable. But, we went through a year plus of warranty problems and being a 100 mile round trip to the dealer, well let’s just say I told myself I would NEVER buy a new RV again. After a few years, maybe 2-1/2 I decided the setup and takedown became a little tough on this aging body and felt maybe MH would be the answer.

So on with the search…We fell in love with the first MH we toured, the floor plan was what really sold us on it, but it was out of our budget. So on with the search and about a week later the owner of the consignment lot where out prize MH was parked called and asked if we would like to make an offer and my wife thru out a low ball bid, knowing that it would not be accepted. Well, long story short…we continued looking for about a month plus when we received another call from the consignment lot quoting a number that, did stretch the budget a little, but was very doable.

We ended up buying the unit about 18 months ago and have not looked back. being a 7 year old with only 12.7k miles and stored inside most of its life, I feel we did okay. Had it totally serviced and some other fluids analyzed to make sure all was well, did some mods to make it ours, and after a good number of shake down outings, we took a 2 month 3500 mile tour of 8 Western states and while I thought about it many times along the way…I didn’t say anything for fear of jinxing the trip. This unit performed flawlessly. We couldn’t be happier.
Good luck with you search.
'08 Newmar Ventana 3960
CoyoteFlatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:49 PM   #21
Thank you all for your sound advice. Though some of you responded to a much debated question of "used vs new".

Some of you make a very categoric point - not all sellers are aware of the value. which may also mean that they may not even have searched these forums for a good price/ negotiating tips when they bought their MH. They may have paid a lot more to the dealer when they bought new and now may want to recoup that cost. I will sulk if I was sold a Jayco GH for 110K only to be told 2 years down the line that it should now be sold for $50k.

There is one thing I have learnt on this forum in 2 short weeks. There is a ton of information available but only if you ask. I am going to ask a lot of questions.

The day I buy it - I will show off the in showoff section
iwant2rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #22
You really have to go out and test the market as it varies with the economy. When we bought ours two years ago, we actually paid about $6000 less for a new one than a year old Newmar Canyon Star 3610 with less equipment. At the time the dealers who had the used ones(yes there were actually two at different dealers) knew it was over priced but felt it was worth their while to take the gamble and not lower the price. So we went new for a lot of reasons, and we are glad we did as we got a great deal, and still see our MH on the market for as much or more than we paid.

To each his own on how you decide new vs used as it can only be determined by the purchaser which best fits their needs.

Two things that are way exaggerated though are:

1) you are going to take a huge loss on a new unit due to depreciation, this is all determined by the market, which brand you buy, and how you take care of it. And as said before you do not realize any depreciation unless you sell it which you are less likely to do if you buy what you really want the first time.

2) That if you buy a new one it will be in the shop working out all the bugs. Again this depends on the type and quality of MH you buy. In our case we have only had a few minor adjustments needed and have never had to leave it in the shop. We have spent well over 200 nights in ours on several trips some being as long as six weeks at a time.

You could have those same issues with a used one that people experience when buying new(or worse), but no warranty to rely on.

The bottom line is do your research and buy what you really want. We spent two years looking and researching(it doesn't have to take that long). But if you do your research you will know when you find the right MH for you, new or used, and within the pricepoint you want to spend.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #23
There are two other factors in the equation. Folks who buy older plan on doing a lot of work themselves as the material cost of a fix up is significantly lower than the labor charges to do it. "Buy your last RV first" assumes you know what you want because you already have significant experience in an RV. If you do not then go low and consider your first RV a training session. Make your best guess but assume there will be problems that will dictate a newer different model as you get more experience at what really matters to you. That is what matters to you, not me and not the guy next door. We are not the one's using it. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:53 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Only you and your budget can decide to buy new or used.

Some can afford new, but only plan on using their coach occasionally and it would be a waste of money to buy new. Many buy for full timing or multiple months of use each year, but don't have a huge budget, so they buy an older high end coach to get the quality they need for long term use.

Some like to buy new because they want a warranty or the ability to order something exactly how they want it. We all have our own reasons for purchasing the RV that we have. It's a decision that really only you can make.

Lastly, I think the statement....buy your last RV first.....really doesn't make any sense, unless you buy an RV at 60 or 70 years old. I didn't need a diesel pusher at 21, and I didn't want a truck camper at 55. So buying an RV changes with your needs and age.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:41 AM   #25
I'd checkout the consignment dealer www.pplmotorhomes.com there's a place on their site that lists the actual selling prices.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:22 AM   #26
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Lastly, I think the statement....buy your last RV first.....really doesn't make any sense, unless you buy an RV at 60 or 70 years old. I didn't need a diesel pusher at 21, and I didn't want a truck camper at 55. So buying an RV changes with your needs and age.
I interpret the statement to mean buy the model that pleases you and fills most or all of your wants and desires. I do not take it as the last MH you will ever buy but if you were to replace the current one the new one would be very similar in features and amenities.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:40 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
do I negotiate a 20-30% rate on used ones too?
Short answer: NO.

There is no typical markup in asking prices, whether dealer or private sale. You need to study the market and use available sources like NADA and PPL Motorhome's list of recent consignment sales to validate the price being asked and your offer.

I would not be concerned about "dissing" the seller. All he can do is say No, and you can make another offer if you wish. But I also would not get real hung up on the lowest possible price. The condition and suitability for my wants and needs is far more critical than getting the very last dollar out of the seller.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:09 PM   #28
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Well said Don

barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote