Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2016, 01:11 PM   #29
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We didn't have to make that choice as we weren't going to spend what a new high end DP was going to cost.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #30
Retired USAF

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
It was pointed out to me that the interest rates between old and new can make a difference too. A new motorhome can get good rates down in the 3-4% range. While a used one will go up into the 6-7%. This can make the overall price of a new motorhome more attractive than something older.

2012 Dodge Durango RT
BillJump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #31
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
$100,000 at 3% is $690 and the same at 6% is $843. That's probably the worse case scenario. I was quoted 4.71 % for 2008 and newer and 5.71 % for older.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #32

We've always bought used so I'm very thankful to those who buy new, otherwise........

I did actually buy a new Triumph motorcycle in '67 and that's about it. I've always been one of those who would get something, go over it from one end to the other, then use it for the next decade or two while keeping it well maintained. It has always worked for me. We've been traveling across the US and back nearly every year, and a trip to AK, with older vehicles since the late 70s and so far we have never been stranded. There were two or three times that required "in flight repairs" which took a few hours, but we weren't dependent on anyone else to keep us going. I'm currently going over our "new to us" MH getting ready for a 8k mile or so trip to the East coast and then South and back to OR this Summer. I hope our luck holds.

With our income I don't believe we could have done it any other way.

Steve
Old 01-24-2016, 05:26 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought new because I could afford it and found what I wanted. I didn't want to "inherit" someone else's problems or their DNA inside either.

I got what I wanted at a good price. I'm happy. That's my bottom line.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #34

The Math of New vs Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
I bought new because I could afford it and found what I wanted. I didn't want to "inherit" someone else's problems or their DNA inside either.

I got what I wanted at a good price. I'm happy. That's my bottom line.

I agree and I don't. Had 2 used, 1 new, and this one used. In feet, 23, 25, 33, and 42. They were all GREAT, came with no issues (I inspected them) and were exactly what we wanted and could afford! I always knew the value range going into the deal, and bargained well each time, while letting some deals go for price/ condition issues.
The DNA always goes out with the mattress.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:17 PM   #35

Ok Guys!! thanks a bunch for all the pointers.

Additional update from my end. As I am looking for greyhawk 31FK (wifey wants 31DS and most likely we will get what she wants) we actually have some number crunching to be done. These are just first quotes so I believe there is wiggle room ( hopefully lot of it)

New 2015 - $75310
Used 2015 - $70000 with 1800 miles on it.

We will keep everyone posted about how this goes. We are just out to smell and will bite if we get what we want
Old 01-24-2016, 07:44 PM   #36

I'm a newbie and came from the boating world.
So know about cost and depreciation.
At first I was looking for a gas rig and had an idea of what I didn't want to spend. After researching and talking and reading forums we ended up with an RV that not even on the list. We learned as we looked and ended up buying something bigger and used. We bought a used diesel coach for the price of a brand new gas coach. No regrets so far. Except I like the new smell. ..
Good luck in your decision, look and asked a lot of questions and most important don't rush.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:50 AM   #37

Struggling with the same issues here. Once our house sells, we're going full time for a year or so, so we need to vastly upgrade from our "starter" RV we bought in June 2014, which was a 2005 Coachmen Mirada QB30 - no slides, no frills (including no suspension to speak of - it's like driving in a jalopy!). First fell in love with the Tiffin Allegro 38QRA (bath and a half is a must!), and now we're lusting after the Phaeton 40QBH. I found a 2015 that never sold that has close enough to exactly the options we want, but I have NO idea how much off the list price on the build sheet to offer.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:26 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaCox View Post
Struggling with the same issues here. Once our house sells, we're going full time for a year or so, so we need to vastly upgrade from our "starter" RV we bought in June 2014, which was a 2005 Coachmen Mirada QB30 - no slides, no frills (including no suspension to speak of - it's like driving in a jalopy!). First fell in love with the Tiffin Allegro 38QRA (bath and a half is a must!), and now we're lusting after the Phaeton 40QBH. I found a 2015 that never sold that has close enough to exactly the options we want, but I have NO idea how much off the list price on the build sheet to offer.
MSRP is a number assigned by the manufacturer what they "think" it is worth. You should be able to get up to 30% for a current year model. Last years model I would offer 35% less.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #39
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
MSRP is a number assigned by the manufacturer what they "hallucinate" it is worth. You should be able to get up to 30% for a current year model. Last years model I would offer 35% less.
Fixed it for you
Old 01-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #40

My experience was that the one to three year old 5th wheel toyhauleres I looked at cost as much as the new toyhauler I bought at a RV wholesaler. I expect it was because there were loans to be paid on the used toyhauleres. When I looked at toyhauleres more than 3 years old, the condition of the toyhauler didn't warrant the price.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:01 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Fixed it for you
Thanks - I was trying to be kind.

It really is a number determined in a rarefied atmosphere using an ouigi board and transcendental meditation by a group of optimists.

Properly applied it gives all of us the feeling we were able to get a much better deal than we actually did as we have been able to "beat" the dealers price way down.

The same group of people also determine the "depreciation" number. This number is what enables the dealers to "beat" us down at the time of trading the unit in. I often wonder how they can determine the value of the unit drops 20 - 30% when you drive it off of the lot??? I have not used the stove, furnace or water heater at that point and the drive train only has a few miles on it.

I guess the difference between the depreciated value and the MSRP should be considered the bull**it factor.

I don't think we should as consumers accept either number as correct.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #42

In late 2011 I bought a new 2011 MH. I got it for 42% off MSRP. 2012s were 30% off.
I offered the 42% off and they looked at me like I had 3 heads. "It'll never happen", they said. They capitulated in about a week.
Go low. Be stubborn. It's YOUR money they are talking about!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote