Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2016, 11:25 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
In late 2011 I bought a new 2011 MH. I got it for 42% off MSRP. 2012s were 30% off.
I offered the 42% off and they looked at me like I had 3 heads. "It'll never happen", they said. They capitulated in about a week.
Go low. Be stubborn. It's YOUR money they are talking about!
Go low. Be stubborn. It's YOUR money they are talking about![/QUOTE]

Couldn't have been said better.....

Cheers,
Don

CoyoteFlatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 11:32 PM   #44

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I have not used the stove, furnace or water heater at that point and the drive train only has a few miles on it.
"Used" is determined by if it has ever been titled, doesn't matter if you ever set foot in it or turned on a light.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:02 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
We recently wrestled with this question when purchasing our coach in early 2015. In our case - we postponed the purchase of an RV until we reached a point in our life that we felt we had time to actually use it. Prior to now - careers, commitments to music, kid sports, etc. - would have limited our ability to use an RV (if we owned one) to a couple of weekends and maybe a one week vacation each year. Now however, we've got the time and the desire to travel - so we decided to go for a unit that would be suitable for fulltiming.

When I examined the market - I concluded that I should assume that a coach has a usable lifespan of roughly 20 years. I then looked at "asking prices" of coaches of the class of coaches that I was interested - of various ages across that 20 year usable life span. Looking at those "asking prices" - there was obviously a BIG initial hit in the first couple of years of the coach's life (30% - 40% of the coach's sticker price) ... at roughly 10 years (1/2 of the 20 year lifespan) coach's were still selling for 35% of their original sticker. At 20 years - they were selling at 5% - 7% of their original price.

For us - the question really came down to what part of the coach's lifespan did we want to own the coach. Using a $350K "sticker price" for a new coach - that coach would have a market value of $210K when it's 3 years old, a market value of
$120K at 10 years ... and roughly $20K at 20 years. In the end - it was a question of boiled down to a question own during most of the 1/2 half of it's lifespan (gambling that I could unload it at 10-12 years old while it still has a significant value) - which would consume roughly $100K of the coach's value. Or, purchase a 10-12 year coach - and basically get "scrap value" at the 20 year mark - consuming roughly $100K of the coach's value in the process.

In the end - we opted to by a 2012 coach at the very start of 2015 (so roughly 2 years old). Our hope is that we'll consume our target spend of roughly $100K during the 1st half of the coach's lifespan (hopefully avoiding many of the "big ticket" repairs that will inevitably come along) ... and sell it when it's 10-12 years old.

Granted, our rationale makes all sorts of assumptions about the market, etc. - and that there are ZERO guarantees. However, it the strategy we decided to gamble on ... we'll have to wait a few years to see how it all plays out. In the meantime - we're enjoying what we hope are the best years of our coach's lifespan.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #46
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When it was suggested you go used for your first RV, one of the reasons was the fact that it is your first RV.

Many have thought the RV lifestyle was just what they wanted, some find out later it was not. If you buy something, say 5 years old, you'll be able to cut your teeth on something that a year later you'll be able to either sell or trade out of with a minimal loss to depreciation. After 5 years the annual loss to depreciation will be minimal yet it's new enough to have recent technology and conveniences. I'd want it to be well vetted (have it professionally inspected), but even then expect some surprises - it's part of the "adventure".

We've been RVing for 35 years and I like buying new, even with the knowledge that the net worth side of our financial statement will take a big hit the first three years of ownership - can't take it with us, don't plan to leave any behind. No doubt our leaving the lifestyle will eventually be forced by a failure of health (or a complete collapse of the national economy). In the meantime I plan to go for the brass ring.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:12 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
"Used" is determined by if it has ever been titled, doesn't matter if you ever set foot in it or turned on a light.
Yup - that is the definition.

But who determines that at that point the value drops a significant amount? Seems like a MSRP kind of arbitrary decision. Certainly the real value of the MH should not have decreased by that amount because the value of the components has not decreased other than on paper.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #48
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Yup - that is the definition.

But who determines that at that point the value drops a significant amount? Seems like a MSRP kind of arbitrary decision. Certainly the real value of the MH should not have decreased by that amount because the value of the components has not decreased other than on paper.
The value is determined by the market, or in other words, us.

You're looking at two identical cars, trucks, RVs - take your pick. Identical except one has been previously titled, and used, and has XXXX miles on the odometer. The warranty started the day of it's initial delivery and is partially or fully expired. How much of a discount will the dealer have to offer you to get you to buy the used vs the new? Would you buy the used one if it was only 5% less than the new one? 10%? 15%?

Supply and demand play a big part in this too. As an extreme example, back in the late 70s I worked for a Honda auto dealership. There were long waiting lists for new Hondas. Depending on the model, up to 9 months. We could easily sell a slightly used car for or above full sticker retail for a new one. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any RV that can't be found on some dealer's lot.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:23 PM   #49

I have bought new and used. Had the most trouble from the new one. For me used is fine. Chances are you will have issues with a new rig. Good chance a lot of issues have been worked through on a used rig and there is the cost savings. If you find what you want used jump on it. They are all used once you leave the lot.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
The value is determined by the market, or in other words, us.

You're looking at two identical cars, trucks, RVs - take your pick. Identical except one has been previously titled, and used, and has XXXX miles on the odometer. The warranty started the day of it's initial delivery and is partially or fully expired. How much of a discount will the dealer have to offer you to get you to buy the used vs the new? Would you buy the used one if it was only 5% less than the new one? 10%? 15%?

Supply and demand play a big part in this too. As an extreme example, back in the late 70s I worked for a Honda auto dealership. There were long waiting lists for new Hondas. Depending on the model, up to 9 months. We could easily sell a slightly used car for or above full sticker retail for a new one. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any RV that can't be found on some dealer's lot.
Exactly my question. If as 'everyone' says the bugs are worked out and the appliances are gently used why do they expect a huge discount? I understand that is the way it has been and the way we have come to accept it but . . . . . why?
Old 01-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #51

I liked the way SpaceNorman approached this. We did have our starter used RV to see if we liked getting out and about. (A not so gently used T28 Bounder.) We determined we did want to do extended travel in retirement, and started to do our research and come up with our short list of manufactures and models that we liked.

We were both working when the 2007/2008 economic drop hit. We were about 3 years ahead of our planned retirement. But watching the price drop on rigs, as so many had to 'get out from under', we elected to pull our purchase up about 2 years. We stayed in our same budget range, and feel we got much more coach for the same dollar.

We were planning on about a 10, maybe 15, years of usage in a coach. I wanted to get as 'Highest quality of coach I could get, while staying within our budget range, dropping years to do so.' I felt that have a good quality coach, provided a solid foundation to warrant modifying to support our specific likes on the interior front. Chassis, engines, transmissions, etc. - when properly maintained, usually have a very long life ahead of them.

Because we knew we would be modifying the interior to our likes, we elected to do the lower part of the 20-25 (I feel better quality coaches, again well maintained, easily have a 20-30 years life usage. For example, I've seen some early 90's Foretravels , Country Coaches, Prevosts Conversion, etc. - that were solid enough safely jump into and go have some fun!)

After looking for several 6-9 months, we located out current coach. I admit that we did not get the 'rock bottom' prices that many were getting in those years. But the DW liked the galley so much, and so many other features matched our 'Must Have's' so well, that I feel I paid a 'fair' price if not a 'killer deal'. But even at a fair price at that point of time, we were fortunate in our depreciation curve - as ours went up for two to three years as the recovery kicked in. That helps us in our overall depreciation math!

No major regrets on our approach of going higher quality and older model years. Heck, our coach had under 13K miles on it when we bought it age of 5-6 years of age. (But it was used consistently over it's life with the 1st owner, and Cummins Dyno testing, chassis inspection and fluid analysis all reflected a healthy chassis and drivetrain.) Now at 12 years of age, and with $25-35K of modifications - we're really happy with the direction we went.

We're just starting out 3rd year of retirement, and travel 6-8 months out of the year. Usually going out for 2-3 months at a time. The DW and I had a 'How is it going?' sit down discussion about RV'ing - and for now, we feel we'll keep things as they are for another 10 years. So we will have had about 15 years of usage on this coach, amortizing out costs of purchase and modifications over that life span.

When the time comes to not travel as much, we think we'll look into COOP's and obtain a space to park our coach for 'get away' visits. Figure the amount we'd get for it at that age was worth us hanging onto. We know several Escapee members, that have one or even two COOP park spaces. With either park models, 5th weeks, and 'retired from the road' Class A's in these sites.

Of course, I admit to looking at gently used two sided 40' Prevost Marathons - so who knows, we may make a deal with a family member for our coach, and start the process over with a Prevost!

I suspect in 2025 - I'll be able to update which way we go, and if we continue traveling the way we go today!

IMO, no wrong or right between New vs Old - it all comes down to what your comfortable with...

Best to all, have fun, travel safe,
Smitty
Old 01-28-2016, 05:26 AM   #52

All things considered there is a lot of sense if starting with something like a 5 year old Prevost. I am not sure that can be said for any motor home with a rubber roof. I alsp question the longevity of the big slide systems.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:56 AM   #53
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
All things considered there is a lot of sense if starting with something like a 5 year old Prevost. I am not sure that can be said for any motor home with a rubber roof. I alsp question the longevity of the big slide systems.
There are potential issues with every choice you make when purchasing an RV. And there are a whole bunch of choices to evaluate. You have to look at your own situation and decide what's right for you and then move on.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:53 AM   #54

Haven't owned an RV lately. But have bought some airplanes. Sometimes the used ones cost more than a new one by the time you fix the avionics, rebuild a timed out engine, replaced some tires and brakes, etc. And then the resale value doesn't always reflect some of the major, or minor, repairs.