Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Red face The Men talk Shop, where's the women?

hey Ladies,

The men talk so much shop on here. They know the mathmatics behind tow weights, how much you can tow, etc. they know the size of the tires, the frames, the watts. They know all that technical stuff.

but, as a female, while it's not that I don't care, but heck, I truly don't! I'd rather talk about how much fun I have camping, how pretty the units of today are, why we like certain campgrounds, etc.

How do I go about finding conversations about this??

Theresa (aka Ricky T's)
momto6ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #2

Hi, I love camping for all the reasons you listed and more. I was widowed for 9 years and camped as a single mom with a 31' motor home & never had a lick of trouble!! Now my husband loves camping, too and is amazed how I camped with so little mechanical knowledge but I always found a good rv business who kept it well-maintained & took their advice. I was a farmer's wife in my first chapter of life so big rigs didn't bother me. I would love sharing with other lady rvers!!
JedSue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey, I don't know about others, but Earlene plays cards when I'm talking shop.

Visa, Master Card, American Express, Discover......sheesh!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I do some of the shop talking. When I have a question then I ask Thom for some help. Thom does the shopping, I hate shopping. I am not one of those females to sit around and "play cards and gossip" I would rather be working on the RV or out doing something with Thom. I really take offense to the "women talk" line about things. Just because I am a female does not mean that I just want to spend money and stuff.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Just search around this forum for different categories and threads. There is all kinds of info on a variety of RV and non RV subjects.....

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
wow, Christine, settle down! who said all I do is shop?? lol I didn't even mention shopping. but I see a ton of posts about technical stuff, I also see posts of disagreements. cards? well, I just played bunco for the first time this weekend.

I have 6 daughters, as of today, 5 grandsons and 4 granddaughters, with another girl due any day now to even things up. I love to camp!

I was a single parent since 1995, 5 of the 6 were under 12 yrs old when we split up. since their father refused to take them camping, I sold our rig, and bought my first solo one, a 22ft sunline. took the 5 girls and myself, all up and down the east coast -- alone. shopping? oh my! who had money for that? I'm a blue jeans and teeshirts kinda gal, wear sweatshirts in the winter.

I can DO much of what I need to do by myself, I was just looking for other things to talk about besides what size engine vs what size trailer, etc.

certainly no offense meant, sorry it was taken that way.

Ricky T's (aka Rick & Theresa)
Old 11-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

Wayne.. You just put me into resportary distress (Laughing so hard I can't breathe)

Thanks for the laugh.

Hey, we talk about many things not just "Shop" as it were, However I do admit that most of my posts here are "Shop" due to the fact I usually answer questions.

If you want to talk about FUN, start a thread (oh you did that already) For example I can tell you my normal travel routine of summer in MI winter in SC/GA is going to be messed up big time this summer.

You see.. Darling daughter called.. And it seems I need to be in Ga long about Independence day so I can be around at the blessed event.

Then I can get to work on my bucket list (One item, Spoiling my grandchild) which at this time is simply not possible.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry but yes I do get a little bent about the whole 'girl things' and 'boy things'. I have known boys that wanted Easy Bake Ovens and were told no very bluntly about why they could not have one. I have known girls that wanted tools for Christmas or Birthday presents and also were told no and they could not have them cause they are only for boys. By the way those were both witnessed withing the last 3 years.
Growing up both boys were taught not only about hunting and camping but they also learned how to clean and cook. Their most favorite memories are not only reading with mom but going outside to do "experiments" (basically making mud pies) lol.
When Joshua told us that he was having a girl I told him "I hope you realize Josh that this will be one Grandma that will not just get pink frilly things." He said "You would not be you if you did that and I expect you to give her all kinds of things". Our granddaughter will be 7, 2 days after Christmas and this year I will get her a tool set. Daddy of course will take the knife out, lol. But when next we see her if Daddy has not taken her to the shooting range already I will do that to. Yes she wears frilly dresses but I also want her to fix and make anything she wants to. As a matter of fact they are doing some remodeling to the house they just bought and she is "helping" take down walls and fixing things.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

That almost cost me a keyboard, had a mouthful of coffee.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Theresa, under RV lifestyles Forums, there is a section for hobbies, pastimes, etc. I do a lot of knitting and crocheting, so read the thread about that. But I also read some of the technical stuff, just for general info unless it gets too far over my head. My DH does not like to get on here like I do, so I search for info he may need. I haven't had as much time lately, but I went on the New Member threads and welcomed new members. Got to know some of the new folks. I also like to head up get togethers for members of our Carolina Campers group.
I also always go to the RV Camping Forum and read the camping locations Threads. But I guess under general discussion, you could start a thread about whatever interests you and see if you get some replys. I know there are a lot of women on here that would rather talk shop with the men and that's okay. But those of us who want to talk of different things should not be put down by the women who don't. I totally got the meaning of your post and agree.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
so hi all, let's start over. let me word it differently.

I'm theresa, aka Tia. I have 6 daughters and justtttt about 10 grandchildren. I asked my ex to leave when I still had 5 under age 12. We had a camper at the time, a 9 yr old 28' citation. It had a great layout, but was long and showing age. As stated, Ex didn't want to take the kids camping. (he was mad). so, I sold that one, and bought the first one. a 22' sunline. didn't know how to "tow", but I just went and got one anyways. my oldest was much older then the others, (long story) and was out of the house by then. so I packed up my 5 daughters, and took them from NH to FL, all in between, all on the east coast as I was maxed in towing ability. I never, in all my years camping, came across one other female, toting along 5 daughters alone. I can hang with the best of the guys.
now they're all but 2, grown up , married, with kids of their own. I laughed at "frilly" dresses, cuz what I learned? hah, if a girl is gonna be a girly girl, nothing can be done about that. and if a girl is gonna be a tomboy? nothing is gonna change that either. my 3rd Daughter, NEVER wears a dress if she can help it, and if she has to, she still wears flip flops. she also is the only one to LOVE the ocean, surfs, was a lifeguard, etc. (also a cancer survivor). btw, I hate the ocean, I'm a mountain gal. my youngest granddaughter, hah! you'd better buy her frills, or she's going naked! lol. but as far as tools, vs ovens and stuff? I totally agree.

I drive a school bus, have a great repore with my students/parents. I'm fortunate to have had the same run for 6 yrs now. not gonna lie, Hate working.
I met my BF 10 yrs ago, I already had .......5 campers by then. 6 if you go back to childhood. 2 solo. BF camped long time ago, with his ex. he loves it, so we happily jumped right back into it.
we're not old enough to retire yet. and cuz there's so many kids/grandkids; we don't get out to the camper but maybe 5x's a year. BF gets only 3 weeks a yr, 3 sick days, not all the holidays. takes 1 week for guys only trip. me? I work for a school district, have tons of time off.

right now our camper, a jayco eagle 316rkds, stays at the campground. we found a campground at the base of the Blue Ridge, Shenandoah Valley Campground, we LOVE it, and have no problem going there when we can. many think we're nuts for leaving it there, but we love riding the valley/hills on our motorcycle. most times we tow the bike to the campground, so we can bring the dog and our own firewood. we ride during the day, hang by the fire at night.

I also cross stitch crib blankets for the grandchildren. I'm a bit behind, cuz I had 4 in less then 2 yrs! I'm on #8's blanket, and #10 is just days away!

that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. anyone wanna hop in? ~~tia.
ps, I keep trying to add a signature, and even tho I go to "edit signature" make one, AND save it, it's not working. any thought?
Old 11-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Tia, I'm a guy and like all kinds of talk on here... If it sparks my interest, I jump right in. Anyway, I noticed you said you bring your own firewood from NJ to your Shenandoah Valley campground. Is that allowed? I've noticed in my travels that bringing firewood across state lines up and down the east coast that is frowned upon.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Stevie,

You're joking right? about bringing firewood? cuz I'm gullible! the campground charge so much that we just tote our own.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't use firewood but I see many places saying moving firewood from one location to another is illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto6ix View Post
Stevie,

You're joking right? about bringing firewood? cuz I'm gullible! the campground charge so much that we just tote our own.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote