Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2016, 09:20 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
How much does it cost to stay in the infield for a nascar race?
Depends on the race and the infield location. At some racetracks the infield spots are sold on an annual basis and the owners rent them if they like. We happily spent $700 for a second row infield spot at Texas one year; we were there from Wednesday through the following Monday. If you do not mind last minute and have the time flexibility, however, you can get some great deals for just the race days from ticket holders who are unable to attend. However, with that you also get the joy of trying to pull/back into a sardine-sized space filled around you. (That was the nice part of arriving early--being able to get settled in before the crowds arrived.)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2016, 11:37 AM   #44

It's interesting that Newport Dunes, California gets a mediocre rating:

Newport Beach, CA Campground Reviews - Best of Newport Beach Camping - RV Park Reviews
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
It's interesting that Newport Dunes, California gets a mediocre rating:

Newport Beach, CA Campground Reviews - Best of Newport Beach Camping - RV Park Reviews

That's unfortunate. But I guess when there is no competition........
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #46

I am aghast! I just happened to being staying at a resort hotel next door to New Port Dunes and decided to take a walk through the park. Compared to the ocean front resorts on the East Coast I thought it was terrible. I was expecting so much more. The sites were small and being separated by a chain link fence to me was tacky. In addition I could not believe the unsightly conditions of some of the long term site holders. I didn't check the rates because there is no way I would ever stay there. I would rather stay at Walmart!
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #47

We have stayed at Newport Dunes. When we stayed there the rates were normal. About 50 bucks. If you are military or ex military or have a friend who is military you can stay right on the sand 40 miles south of Newport dunes at the camp Pendelton RV campground. The cost is around 40 dollars a night. Full hookups right on the water. We stayed at a very nice State campground on the ocean in Manzanita Oregon the last two summers. 40 dollars a night.

Prices are all over the board. I hate paying over $40 a night. Oh, when I go to Palm Springs we pay either zero Thousand Trails, or moderate cost. We are going in 3 weeks and paying about $55 dollars a night at a high end resort place in Palm Desert.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:51 PM   #48

The number of full hookup water accessible campgrounds on the coast of California are extremely small. The number of campgrounds which are actually on the beach can be counted with less than all your fingers. Newport Dunes, and Campland on the Bay are perhaps the only two full service private campgrounds in Southern California with a beach on property, and campground resort amenities (bike and boat rental, food service, activities, pool, well maintained playgrounds, etc). Both tend to be full during the peak summer season, and any chance of getting in is pure luck based on cancellations. Reservations are charged in full at the time they are made, perhaps one or two years in advance. I'm not complaining, my family loves these campgrounds, and we have gone there with a small group of two or three RVs and a bunch of tents many times. Basically, there is no competition for this type of ocean-beach front camping. Both locations maintain a very large staff (probably much larger than the average resort campground), uniformed security, and I bet they pay a fortune in taxes, special fees, and insurance. The fees are indeed exceptionally high, but I would guess if the corporations had to publicly justify the fees it would show a relative low profit margin.
JMHO Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:45 AM   #49

High rates aren't just a west coast thing. We just left Briarcliffe RV Resort in Myrtle Beach because they went from $700mo. for Feb., to $1400 for March, and they're not even on the beach. We moved 2 miles to a place ON the beach for half of what Briarcliffe was asking.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:08 AM   #50

I would be happy here

Good Sam, AAA, and Escapees
olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
I think I found a new high -- Camp Gulf in Destin, Florida $199 a day -- can you beat that? Rates Camp Gulf Campground RV Park Destin, Florida
$199.00 a day to track sand in your rv.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #52

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
Oh. Thanks for the correction. Aren't there some state beaches in the area that charge $45-$60/night? Right now we are in SoCal at Malibu Beach RV Park ($550/week) because we have some events in Santa Monica this week. Normally here, however, we stay at the military bases along the coast that offer beachfront for $30-$35/night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
This is not in Newport, OR, (where an ocean view site at Pacific Shores cost us $120 a night last year, still our all time favorite place) it's in SoCal. Not much else around there RV facility wise. I imagine that this is a very desirable spot for a luxury hotel that would bring in much more revenue. I'm surprised this prime piece of real estate is still being used for this purpose. We're finding more and RV resorts being sold for hotel development along the beach and elsewhere. I hope they stay full and business is good so it remains an option. Not that we can afford it in the summer, we'd have to go off-season, for a very short stay.
Johnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Indio CA. Last years rate for the cheap park was $3500/mo. Across the street it is only $4500.mo. "Free butt patting" when you leave....
People are so stuck up no one talks to each other.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnitis View Post
Oh. Thanks for the correction. Aren't there some state beaches in the area that charge $45-$60/night? Right now we are in SoCal at Malibu Beach RV Park ($550/week) because we have some events in Santa Monica this week. Normally here, however, we stay at the military bases along the coast that offer beachfront for $30-$35/night.

Yes, but getting into them is very difficult and there are few to no hook-ups in the state parks if you need them.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:08 AM   #55

Jeez we traveled more the 30.000 miles in USA never payed even a dime on campground
always free boon docking and been on most beautiful places
cees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:51 AM   #56

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
I totally agree with you. I hate paying over $40, as well.

Actually, the winter rate at San Onofre (Camp Pendleton), my favorite campground on the West Coast, is only $28/night for electric and water on the sand ($10 for the weekly honey wagon) ($35 in summer). The newly refurbished Navy campground on Coronado is a great bay location, with spots nearly triple the size of the "deluxe" sites at Campland on the Bay, and other local parks.

We just left Palm Springs (too hot already), where we found a spot with full hook ups, a storage shed, pool, gym, spa, access to the mountains walking trails, and a shuttle to downtown for $600/month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
If you are military or ex military or have a friend who is military you can stay right on the sand 40 miles south of Newport dunes at the camp Pendelton RV campground. The cost is around 40 dollars a night. Full hookups right on the water. We stayed at a very nice State campground on the ocean in Manzanita Oregon the last two summers. 40 dollars a night.

Prices are all over the board. I hate paying over $40 a night. Oh, when I go to Palm Springs we pay either zero Thousand Trails, or moderate cost. We are going in 3 weeks and paying about $55 dollars a night at a high end resort place in Palm Desert.
Johnitis is offline   Reply With Quote