Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Make sure you send a thank you letter to your state legislator for making it impossible to pay your taxes and get fined for doing so. Common sense was long ago replaced by lawyers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would make a stop on my way in south dakota. Get a license and all the plates and be done with NC. In Illinois, if you let your plates expire, thats it, no big deal unless you drive the vehicle with expired plates. When I want to drive the car again, I go get a set of plates. I havnt driven my corvette in a few years, this year I want to take it out so I will go get plates. What is the deal with property tax down there? Are you telling me that when you buy a car, you pay sales tax and then they tax you again as property tax every year? THAT IS CRAZY!
Old 04-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, NC was a beautiful place to be from!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:45 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
That's where friends and family come in handy, to do those things when you are away. Next time you can pre-plan for it. But I wish we could register our vehicles and get drivers licenses with the federal government and not be required to claim any one state as our personal state of residence. Many traveling full-timers would not feel any particular connection to any one state if they were not forced to.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:30 AM   #33

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
I would make a stop on my way in south dakota. Get a license and all the plates and be done with NC. In Illinois, if you let your plates expire, thats it, no big deal unless you drive the vehicle with expired plates. When I want to drive the car again, I go get a set of plates. I havnt driven my corvette in a few years, this year I want to take it out so I will go get plates. What is the deal with property tax down there? Are you telling me that when you buy a car, you pay sales tax and then they tax you again as property tax every year? THAT IS CRAZY!
Yes, many states have taxes on personal property based on it's assessed value. Real estate property taxes are handled differently by the counties/cities.

Also in NC, so yes we pay a property tax for personal property on motorized vehicles requiring a tag based on it's assessed value every year. This is thru the NC DMV.

We also get a property tax bill from the local county/city (we are inside city limits) for our S&B. This is done by the county NOT state.

The problem is many states call it a vehicle tax instead of personal property tax...but it's the same idea. An no, that isn't the sales tax which is a whole 'nuther ball of wax.

Each is handled by a different government entity.

What is backwards is that the OP can not handle this online since NC requires a state inspection of the motorized personal property and are hard asses about when it can be done.

To the OP: Chapter 20 - Article 3A

§ 20-183.8A. Civil penalties against motorists for emissions violations; waiver.
(a) Civil Penalties. - The Division must assess a civil penalty against a person who owns or leases a vehicle that is subject to an inspection and who engages in any of the emissions violations set out in this subsection. As provided in G.S. 20-54, the registration of a vehicle may not be renewed until a penalty imposed under this subsection has been paid. The civil penalties and violations are as follows:
  1. (1) Fifty dollars ($50.00) for failure to have the vehicle inspected within four months after it is required to be inspected under this Part.
  2. (2) Two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00) for instructing or allowing a person to tamper with an emission control device of the vehicle so as to make the device inoperative or fail to work properly.
  3. (3) Two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00) for incorrectly stating the vehicle's county of registration to avoid having an emissions inspection of the vehicle.
(b) Waiver. - The Division must waive the civil penalty assessed under subdivision (a)(1) of this section against a person who establishes the following:
  1. (1) The person was continuously out of the State on active military duty from the date the electronic authorization expired to the date the four-month grace period expired.
  2. (2) No person operated the vehicle from the date the electronic authorization expired to the date the four-month grace period expired.
  3. (3) The person obtained a current electronic authorization within 30 days after returning to the State. (1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 754, ss. 1, 8; 1998-212, s. 27.6(b); 2007-364, ss. 3, 4; 2007-503, s. 15; 2009-319, s. 4.)
Old 04-06-2016, 07:40 AM   #34

Not reading all posts but just send in the money.

In ca we need to smog as part of the deal and if it fails but time runs out just send money and clock stops but with no smog no sticker.

Get it fixed later then they hand you sticker.

May be same here...

Send money to register and they do that but no sticker until inspected.

Cannot charge late if paid
Old 04-06-2016, 07:45 AM   #35

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Not reading all posts but just send in the money.

In ca we need to smog as part of the deal and if it fails but time runs out just send money and clock stops but with no smog no sticker.

Get it fixed later then they hand you sticker.

May be same here...

Send money to register and they do that but no sticker until inspected.

Cannot charge late if paid
Unfortunately, CA is not the same as NC...you literally have to have the proof (as in the receipt) for the inspection to hand in when you pay the bill. They just will not take the money til that happens.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #36

Can you have them inspected before you leave and have the inspection station process the paper work at a later date for you?
Swerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerwin View Post
Can you have them inspected before you leave and have the inspection station process the paper work at a later date for you?
Probably not. If that worked, why not just get the next four years of inspections done now and not worry about any more until the motorcycle gets replaced.
mriderLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:16 AM   #38

He is not asking for 4 years only a few weeks on a vehicle which will not even be driven. Lets be sensible.
Swerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:21 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
What are the chances of catching a flight home for a few days and renewing the registration and paying the taxes?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:23 AM   #40

for me it was easy. When I received the renewal form in the mail from dmv, I mailed them a check for the total amount, including both the tax and registration renewal. I forgot to take the car on for inspection. State kept money and sent me a letter stating they would automatically send tag renewal upon completed inspection.

Should be no problem if you just send them the money and get inspection when you can.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:02 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgman50 View Post
for me it was easy. When I received the renewal form in the mail from dmv, I mailed them a check for the total amount, including both the tax and registration renewal. I forgot to take the car on for inspection. State kept money and sent me a letter stating they would automatically send tag renewal upon completed inspection.

Should be no problem if you just send them the money and get inspection when you can.
Interesting, I hadn't thought of that! The online registration is blocked but if I just send them the money they have only two choices, either send it all back to me uncashed or process it and hold my sticker until the inspection is done. If they do the latter (and I guess they will based on your experience) then I suppose I'm better off than I am now at least. Thanks for the suggestion.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:21 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IRV2 comes through again!! Good luck!

Tags
cat