Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2019, 10:09 AM   #99

[Mod Edit]

The majority of cars I currently own are blue!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2019, 04:37 PM   #100

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some good thoughts on this topic I started over 2 weeks ago. Thoughtful ideas and observations.

Probably time to put it to bed, since it's now headed to the sewer drain.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #101

People in your dad's situation had ambition, that's not the majority. So those dig themselves out of the hole. Quit trying to make it seem like it's someone else's fault. Today it's a lifestyle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG123 View Post
Well Gee Reacher,
How do you really feel about it?
When you wake up from sleeping on concrete all night, with no place to wash yourself, you can't sit down to a bacon and egg breakfast in your kitchen nook, the inspiration to be anything more than what the homeless population is now is for not. My father took 4 kids to the street. We were in that population. It's not pretty.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:38 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
Unfortunately you misunderstood my posts. When I mentioned the mentally ill (a significant number of homeless) I said if they cant take care of themselves then they need to be taken care of. That would take re-opening or building mental institutions to protect them and the public. Because the do nothing approach now is not working.
Ahh, yes I appreciate the clarification!

Couldn’t agree more. The way mental health is treated is shockingly poor in this nation. I routinely see people who have been productive members of society fall through the cracks, eventually became institutionalized (9 times out of ten from a lack of medication), get just stable and finally “streeted” with 30 days of meds. It’s a very, very sad and equally expensive revolving door of broken lives.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:05 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
I didn’t misunderstand. It all depends on what you “believe.”
Given a choice between prayers a half decent clinic for a (likely) broken arm, I’m pretty sure what I’m picking. I’m certain a vast majority in here choose the same.

Your saying you choose those prayers? Perhaps you choose both, that’s completely reasonable. Maybe you don’t think those less fortunate or privileged deserve both, they just deserve the less expensive.

But be honest and clear what you’re saying.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:20 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
So what’s my point? The time and place to best combat homelessness is with young people forced into that life by their parents.
I need to ask you what you mean by the parents forcing the child into poverty.

I’m truly curious what you’re saying in that sentence.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:35 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoC808 View Post
People in your dad's situation had ambition, that's not the majority. So those dig themselves out of the hole. Quit trying to make it seem like it's someone else's fault. Today it's a lifestyle.
no one disagrees with your point, it’s possible to dig out.

What I think a few of us are saying is oftentimes the tools are missing. You gotta admit it can be overwhelming to do a job without the tools.

I really don’t see him blaming others only drawing on his (I believe ‘his’ is correct) background. Personally I think that’s brave, it’s an unvarnished view into a very different way of life, speaking for myself.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:39 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG123 View Post
Yeah Well my shrink retired with syphilis and my son's lawyer had gonorrhea.
Not a joke.

How/why you'd know these bits of trivia might lead to Too Much Information.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #107

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydirtbag View Post
I need to ask you what you mean by the parents forcing the child into poverty.

I’m truly curious what you’re saying in that sentence.
Children don’t make the decisions that lead to poverty and homelessness, they just follow, or are led by their caregivers into situations not of their choosing.

Mentors can show kids that there are better ways to live life. Having a good adult role model can change a child's attitude from just accepting the life they have or working hard to do better with their life. Staying in school and getting good grades can lead to scholarships. Education leads to better paying jobs and a way out of poverty.

I was never homeless or lived in poverty. Mentors taught me that adults can care about you and your future. When someone you admire cares, it feels good to attain the goals they helped you set for yourself. Then higher goals are possible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-11-2019, 01:21 PM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
This thread is Closed!
Thanks to those that stayed on topic and within the rules.

Hopefully in the future those that went off topic and outside the rules will think about this for future post.

Steve as Site Staff
Closed Thread