RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
egwilly's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: So Calif
Posts: 1,999
The New RV'r....Not a pretty sight.

I had no idea the rental of junk motorhomes to the homeless was a business called Vehicle Ranchers.

Read about it here: https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-travel-n...ter-issue-910/
__________________

__________________
Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26RLS Fifth Wheel
Ford F350 Superduty 6.7 Oil Burner
Jeep Wrangler for dirt
egwilly is offline  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
asuperheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 267
Cash money, no taxes to claim, very little investment. Not surprised. It will probably only continue with the politics and policy's in big city's.
__________________

__________________
2015 Tour 42QD
asuperheat is offline  
Old 08-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
Formerly TeufelWolf
 
WhiskeySierra's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 45
It definitely isnít a pretty sight. Unfortunately to many non RVíers think this is indicative of most people with RVís.
WhiskeySierra is offline  
Old 08-17-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 9,567
So.... the "dead RV" has to be towed to a street but then most likely has to be towed within 72 hr. to another street? The tenants aren't given a key to lock & protect themselves and can't use the toilet? I sure hope cities crack down on these unscrupulous business people and lock them up!!
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . .
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline  
Old 08-17-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
So.... the "dead RV" has to be towed to a street but then most likely has to be towed within 72 hr. to another street? The tenants aren't given a key to lock & protect themselves and can't use the toilet? I sure hope cities crack down on these unscrupulous business people and lock them up!!
Unfortunately, at least in Seattle, the government is the problem. They impound the hulks and because they're about $2k/ea to scrap, they auction them. So for $25 the slumlord puts it back on the street. The good news is that they've gotten wise to their place on the food chain and are discussing how to break the chain.
__________________
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
________________________________________
TARDIS Project 2001 Mountain Aire DP40' 330CAT
rodekyll is offline  
Old 08-17-2019, 02:02 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
2Yung2 Quit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bonsall, CA
Posts: 529
The entrepreneural spirit is alive and well.
__________________
Ram MegaCab 3500 Cummins, DRW, 4x4, pulling a 2018 35' Solitude, and loving it!
2Yung2 Quit is offline  
Old 08-17-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
keymastr's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,567
They are also looking at how to change the current law that says they cannot tow/impound a vehicle if it is the occupants sole means of shelter so they get around the parking laws.
__________________
2017 Creekside 23 RBS
2016 F250 Super Crew XLT
Kennewick, WA.
keymastr is offline  
Old 08-17-2019, 03:29 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Dan McMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,301
So, someone besides the government found a way to make money off of the homeless. That'll get shut down pretty quick.
__________________
2018 Newmar Bay Star 3113 - "Chewie"
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - "Battle Born"
Dan McMartin is offline  
Old 08-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
egwilly's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: So Calif
Posts: 1,999
Most cities have large plots of empty land in industrial areas.

Just open them up to the homeless to park inside there, and provide holding tank pump out on a regular schedule. Sort of a rv park for junkers.

Keeps them off the residential streets draining their tanks into homer buckets!

Then continue to find ways to control and eliminate this problem.

I see the state park peeps at the beach dealing with hazmat issues sometimes during my bike rides. They surround the illegal dump with absorbs and clean up the asphalt. The homeless camper just open their valves, let er rip and move on.
__________________
Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26RLS Fifth Wheel
Ford F350 Superduty 6.7 Oil Burner
Jeep Wrangler for dirt
egwilly is offline  
Old 08-18-2019, 07:43 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
530ktm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: High up in Arizona
Posts: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Most cities have large plots of empty land in industrial areas.

Just open them up to the homeless to park inside there, and provide holding tank pump out on a regular schedule. Sort of a rv park for junkers.

Keeps them off the residential streets draining their tanks into homer buckets!

Then continue to find ways to control and eliminate this problem.

I see the state park peeps at the beach dealing with hazmat issues sometimes during my bike rides. They surround the illegal dump with absorbs and clean up the asphalt. The homeless camper just open their valves, let er rip and move on.
Great idea but who will be paying for the company to come out on a continual basis pumping thousands of gallons of sewage every week? And I would not want to even trust junkers and the occupants to have properly working units and the know how of what to even do to keep things clean.
__________________
2011 Monaco Knight 40PBQ towing a Jeep JK Rubicon Wrangler
530ktm is offline  
Old 08-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 9,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post

I see the state park peeps at the beach dealing with hazmat issues sometimes during my bike rides. They surround the illegal dump with absorbs and clean up the asphalt. The homeless camper just open their valves, let er rip and move on.
They're not all homeless campers!
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . .
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline  
Old 08-18-2019, 04:56 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
So, someone besides the government found a way to make money off of the homeless. That'll get shut down pretty quick.
I wouldn't count on that. Exploiting the poor is a tried-and-true business model, just ask any payday loan operator like Citigroup or Bank of America.

Oh, you'd have to follow the money through all their wholly-owned-subsidiaries to find that they are the money behind the scumbag lenders and buy-here-pay-here car lots charging 400% interest and repoing after a single missed weekly payment.

I'd imagine that Seattle is just annoyed that they know this is happening and haven't figured out how to get more of a piece than the minor auction fees.

Exploitation of those least able to defend themselves... That's no problem at all. That's why in "The South" they have actually instituted debtor prisons. If you can't pay the ludicrous fines for nonsense tickets like jaywalking... Off to jail with you. (The city gets paid for every prisoner they can deliver, and the prisons can use them as forced labor for 15c per hour so there's the benefit to the prison)
__________________
03 40' Monaco Diplomat: 1020 watts solar / Victron / Magnesine 2800. TRW steering, 23 cuft Frigidaire, dishwasher, W/D, Magneshade, lots of other mods!
geordi is offline  
Old 08-18-2019, 05:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
powerboatr's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North East Texas
Posts: 4,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
I wouldn't count on that. Exploiting the poor is a tried-and-true business model, just ask any payday loan operator like Citigroup or Bank of America.

Oh, you'd have to follow the money through all their wholly-owned-subsidiaries to find that they are the money behind the scumbag lenders and buy-here-pay-here car lots charging 400% interest and repoing after a single missed weekly payment.

I'd imagine that Seattle is just annoyed that they know this is happening and haven't figured out how to get more of a piece than the minor auction fees.

Exploitation of those least able to defend themselves... That's no problem at all. That's why in "The South" they have actually instituted debtor prisons. If you can't pay the ludicrous fines for nonsense tickets like jaywalking... Off to jail with you. (The city gets paid for every prisoner they can deliver, and the prisons can use them as forced labor for 15c per hour so there's the benefit to the prison)
where is this "south " of which you speak....
BS
__________________
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2016 Expedition or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline  
Old 08-18-2019, 09:27 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 119
Something doesn't add up here. $10 a night and you have to have it towed every three days? Even if you had your own tow truck you would probably spend more in fuel then you made in rent!
__________________

__________________
2015 Montana 3100rl Legacy ---- 2005 F250 6.0
AirLift bags & Bilstein's, tows like charm!
Theunz is offline  
Closed Thread



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water rushing out - not a good sight Snocat4 Country Coach Owners Forum 2 07-03-2017 04:26 PM
Changed out the old coolant sight glass for the new one....Nice brobox Entegra Owner's Forum 26 03-25-2015 08:14 AM
Not a pretty sight - Sidewall loranimal Monaco Owner's Forum 18 01-04-2011 09:27 AM
Not a mod or admin in sight? NLOVNIT iRV2.com General Discussion 22 10-24-2009 10:34 AM
New to sight cadteach Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 8 12-25-2008 08:42 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×