Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The Price of Fuel Just Got Worse ...

I was just listening to a report on the Weather Channel. The reporter said that due to the drought ... the price that we pay for "Ethanol" is going to go up!

I just have to quote those famous words, "I'm as mad as heck and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

We're now stuck using this stuff when other fuel sources are better and cheaper but no, we have to use food to fuel our vehicles. Not only is the price of corn and other food stuffs that we buy daily going to rise due to the drought but now they are going to stick us with a bigger Ethanol bill.

I am also "not liking" the BIG fuss that NASCAR is making about American Ethanol. You wanna race? Use American Gasoline like we were using! Leave the groceries in the grocery store! Yes you can make all the Ethanol you want BUT if you must, consider using sugar cane instead or other useless grasses.

We can sell all the corn we grow in the US to other markets for food. We don't need to use food for fuel and get stuck with rising costs for both food and fuel from the same raw material.

It almost looks like were going to have to import corn from other countries so we can make Ethanol!

We now return you back to your regular programming ......

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree about paying for food and gas from the same thing. I have always wondered about how hot that ethanol burns . Would it help are mileage any to not burn it. Probably not much , but.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #3

toad, the ethanol reduces mileage in computer controlled engines

DriVer...NASCAR began the ethanol hype to keep the do-gooders and tree huggers off their backs

just being through MO, IL and IN....the corn crop looks terrible...I guess the gov't idiots didn't pencil in any sort of advanced thinking when they all began this push for corn based fuels!
Old 07-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DriVer, so how do you realy feel?
I have a couple of 35+ year old cars and a 35 year old boat that were built for leaded fuel, and this corn juice plays heck with them all.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #5

The Great American Ripoff is alive and well !
Old 07-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, we can thank the EPA, etc.. Gotta have the engines burn cleaner in the crowded cities, ya know.....
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #7

My little HHR knows when it is running ethanol, E85, etc versus real gas. Much better mileage with real gas which is still available if you look for it. It is of course more expensive but is better for your engine.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadog View Post
I agree about paying for food and gas from the same thing. I have always wondered about how hot that ethanol burns . Would it help are mileage any to not burn it. Probably not much , but.

Your mileage will drop by roughly the same percent of ethanol fuel you are using. If you get 20 mpg on unleaded you will get 18mpg on a 10 to 12 percent ethanol mix. It is a huge sham there is no real energy benefit to ethanol when the fuel cost to produce it is considered.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Another gas price hike that's being blamed on....the weather!

Pardon my skepticism, but:

There's a drought, all right, but it's the rain of federal dollars on the corn industry that's dried up. The "weather" changed on January first of this year, when the thirty-year old corn-for-ethanol subsidy was finally killed.
The six billion dollars that the industry made off that tax credit in 2011 has to be made up somehow- and as usual, we consumers are the "somehow" of choice.

Quoting from: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/02/bu...l-expires.html

" Representative Jeff Flake, Republican of Arizona, said, “With record deficits and a ballooning national debt, it was ludicrous to expect taxpayers to pay billions to prop up a mature industry that should be able to fend for itself.”

Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, said the ethanol industry had enjoyed “a trifecta, a triple crown” of federal support. Federal law requires that certain minimum amounts of renewable fuels like ethanol be blended into gasoline. Refiners received the tax credit for doing so. And the government imposed a tariff on imported ethanol, protecting the domestic industry.

The tariff, like the tax credit, expired Saturday. But the requirement to use increasing amounts of ethanol in gasoline continues.

Senator Charles E. Grassley, Republican of Iowa, a leading advocate for ethanol, said the use of ethanol had reduced retail gasoline prices and America’s reliance on foreign oil."

But fear not for the poor beleagered ethanol producer- his protectors have a whole new rainmakin' law coming down the pike.

Quoting from same (above) link :

"As Congress begins work on a new farm bill, ethanol companies and gasoline station owners want to expand a federal program that helps pay for pumps and other equipment needed to dispense gas with higher concentrations of ethanol."

Whew!
Old 07-19-2012, 12:55 AM   #10

Sure glad ethanol has made my gas cheaper in the long run....from the early days of 2.00 or less to getting up over 5.00. Wonder how much cheaper ethanol will get at my pumps? We need more excuses to raise these prices, because if this stuff gets cheaper, so will my wallet.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Many years ago I went on a farm tour in north central Iowa and our tour guide told us how great the ethanol boom was creating a wonderful lifestle for the locals. When I asked what happens when they come to the conclusion that it isn't what it is projected to be his answer was bankruptcy as the majority of the growers had changed from feed and sweet corn to ethanol corn. If you wanted sweet corn the only place to get it was from a guy selling it out of his vehicle and in the store it was from California.
Why is it necessary to jump on every fad that comes along and then make "WE the People" suffer their ignorance or the results of a lobbyists influence.

Don
You can't fix stupid but you can vote them out!!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Your mileage will drop by roughly the same percent of ethanol fuel you are using. If you get 20 mpg on unleaded you will get 18mpg on a 10 to 12 percent ethanol mix. It is a huge sham there is no real energy benefit to ethanol when the fuel cost to produce it is considered.
This doesn't make sense - it's saying that the ethanol has zero energy. I thought that ethanol contains about 15% less energy per gallon as gas ( memory may be faulty here but I'm sure ethanol isn't zero energy).

That would seem to suggest that mileage should be reduced (for 10% ethanol mix) by about 10% of 15% = 1.5%. How could it possibly be 10%!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #13

Environmentalists wacko jobs causing most of it.

You can still buy straight gasoline in the South.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Environmentalists wacko jobs causing most of it.

You can still buy straight gasoline in the South.
Yes, let's blame a Bogey Man - that's always comforting.

While I'm dubious of making the ethanol from corn, I think most of the posts here are forgetting, or overlooking, the fact that ethanol is actually an octane boosting additive. And a much less toxic one than such alternatives as tetra ethyl lead and M?? (I forget the two letters in the acronym but it caused really serious contamination of groundwater here in CA some years back - turns out a lot of underground tanks at gas stations had leaks).

If one were to refine gas to get the needed octane rating without additives, they would get fewer gallons per barrel of oil, and such gas would be more expensive.

Just saying things aren't nearly as simply as many think (or claim).

Tags
fuel