Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #15

The only way it will change is if we quit buying them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #16

I agree with Electra 225. Quality, or lack thereof in the RV industry is cyclical.
I bought my first brand new motorhome in 1996, a Holiday Rambler Vacationer.
The build quality was outstanding, and the motorhome was not returned to the dealer the entire time I owned it. Cabinetry and fit and finish were excellent. All systems and appliances worked perfectly from day one. It was a great experience. We loved and enjoyed it. Lived in it full time for 4 years.
I think that may have been a 'sweet spot' period for Holiday Rambler.

Would have kept it....but wanted something larger, as we all seem to do at times. Traded for a new 2000 Monaco LaPalma. And that motorhome was nothing but trouble from day one. Slideouts that leaked and failed. Walls that buckled. Countertops cracked. The Ford chassis was a total nightmare. Quality control was a abysmal in all respects. Constant frustration and disappointment with that one. Spent the better part of the first 2 years at the Monaco or Ford dealer.

Bought a new Jayco travel trailer in 2007. Once again, a great experience. Build quality was wonderful. Had no problems whatsoever. Was never returned to the dealer for anything, the entire time we owned it. Again....maybe it was just a particularly good time to buy a Jayco.

Forward to today....we have a new Winnebago Class C. We wanted small, simple, few bells and whistles, and hopefully fewer things to fail and cause frustration. So far...the issues have been minor, and easily remedied without any dealer participation. The build quality, fit and finish....appear to be 'good' for the most part. (a good day at the factory??)
Monday we leave on a cross country trip (1,600 miles one way) to visit relatives. Hoping for the best. lol

Today.....I think most of the problems stem from the fact that the majority of RV buyers expect so much. They want amenities, and insist the the RV be "just like home". Multiple slideouts...which most everyone knows are prone to failure...and we can read pages and pages of slideout complaints. But they keep insisting they have to have the extra space.
Of course there are the requisite multiple TVs, even outside. Bath and half models are becoming more common. King size beds. Beds that drop from the ceiling electrically. Residential refrigerators. Dishwashers. Washer/dryers. Outdoor kitchens. On demand hot water. And the list goes on and on.
It seems as the RV buyer demands more and more 'amenities'....that the surrounding initial build quality of the RV itself sometimes suffers/disappears....or becomes prohibitively expensive for most of us.

Our philosophy with our latest RV purchase was "keep it simple".
The RV lifestyle is about being out there on the road having fun experiences, making memories, and hopefully not spending your time in repair facilities.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
Today.....I think most of the problems stem from the fact that the majority of RV buyers expect so much. They want amenities, and insist the the RV be "just like home". Multiple slideouts...which most everyone knows are prone to failure...and we can read pages and pages of slideout complaints. But they keep insisting they have to have the extra space.
Of course there are the requisite multiple TVs, even outside. Bath and half models are becoming more common. King size beds. Beds that drop from the ceiling electrically. Residential refrigerators. Dishwashers. Washer/dryers. Outdoor kitchens. On demand hot water. And the list goes on and on.
It seems as the RV buyer demands more and more 'amenities'....that the surrounding initial build quality of the RV itself sometimes suffers/disappears....or becomes prohibitively expensive for most of us.
I totally agree. Folks want to incorporate everything they use daily into their RV. Then they complain about the cost of RVs. If a mediocre builder includes all these extras for the price that people expect to pay then they are surely going to cut corners elsewhere.

If you want all the extras and a excellent quality surrounding structure you can easily do so by using a quality manufacturer but you're going to pay for it.

You can't have it all folks.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #18

Oh, but they do want it all, expecting perfection. And for a rock bottom price.

What's wrong with that picture??

Reminds me of an old quip from years ago:

"Built up to a standard....not down to a price."

Most today are less willing to pay for the 'standard'.

There is an all too common.....I want to pay the lowest price, but I want it to be of outstanding quality.....Amazon mentality. lol
Old 10-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
When we stop accepting these problems, it will get better.

"When we stop accepting these problems, it will get better."

If we do not accept the problems, can we still get our RV repaired?

Should we not buy RVs?

What is the OP's proposed action that we should all take to cure the problem?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #20

Many a sale was lost due to a RV NOT having slides, very few because it did. Multiple TV's sell better than just one. Expect things to get more complicated not less. A second, outside kitchen sells, much more so than an extra storage bin.

When I went looking to replace my old 30q which had no slides, I knew I would not find a slideless unit I liked, so we got three!
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:29 PM   #21

I bought my Hurricane from MHSRV because the had the model and color interior I wanted in stock and at the price I was willing to pay. 10/11/16 I was in the area of Alvarado, TX and called to see if I could to get a couple of electrical problems fixed. Tim Johnson, service writer, was able to get me an appointment for 10AM the next day. It took only 45 minutes for the tech to find the broken wire on the back water heater and replace the blown fuse in the engine compartment. After lunch in the cafeteria, one happy camper with a 100% operational motor home departed for the 700 mile trip home. After 10,783 mile everything is working as designed. Yes, Thor does build a quality coach.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think your comparison of cars (mass produced) to motor home production is way off base. You would be more accurate to compare the building of a house to the building of a motor home.

Chassis' such as Freightliner and Ford are massed produced and have relatively few issues, but when you start adding wood and steel house components to them built by humans one at a time, you will run into issues.

The public isn't demanding quality, but demanding bargain prices. If they could buy it at Walmart they would. You get what you pay for.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:23 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
We know all the problems with the RV industry and we are the actual cure. How??

Bookmarks this page and read it daily.

RV Business - Breaking RV Industry News

When there are RV trade meetings (not shows) we should invite ourselves and air our issues, concerns and possible solutions. OK, we're going to crash their party. They think they are too big to fail, with all the mergers lately somebody is going to get too big and they will fail. I've been reading this website for over a year. There are may association meetings, they need to hear from us.

Will it make a difference? I doubt it but it could be worth the effort.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:16 AM   #24

Carolina Campers
I bought a very simple TT RV 24 ft. No slide outs. Now mine is for trips not full time. But I looked at a fair amount of RV and quite frankly I find the more features you buy the quality seems to decrease until you get the really expensive ones. Then again those people have people to maintain their vehicles or they lease them.

I really am not all that impressed with quality of most anything these days. All that business is interested in is ROI.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:19 AM   #25

None of us have the power to change the whole RV industry. The notion that the way to fix this problem is to "quit buying"......,....why even say it? We're simply not going to do that. And, for us to form a protest group, heck we're a bunch of people who want to go RVing, for the fun of it. Protesting is hard work, and time consuming. My wife and I don't have THAT many more years left.
BTW I"m on my 6th motorhome (started back in the 70's). This last one was my first brand new one (special-ordered, my way). The deal with my dealer included me picking it at the factory, for several reasons. HEck, I was there almost 2 weeks trying to straighten out all the things they didn't do right. And, this was a manufacturer that I had selected after much experience and lots of research (Newmar). Long story short, I ran out of time and options. I gave up on them and they gave up on me. But, I learned a lot while I was at the factory, talking to so many of factory people(line workers and higher). I learned a LOT! They've got their problems alright, BUT THEY have the advantage. They always have the excitement of improving their next year models, but I got stuck with "last years'" model. And, the only way for me to come out is to keep it and try to get some enjoyment out of it, somehow. I'll tell you this, if I was not capable of working on my own "toys" myself, I would not have bought all the motorcycles, racecars, boats, airplanes, RV's, etc, that I've enjoyed, and complained about. Frankly, I know quite a bit about the problems that both the consumer AND the manufacturer, are always facing (I know it from experience, and keeping my eyes open). But, I don't know that the "quality" question has a suitable answer. I try to survive by trying to not see myself as a victim.
But, it's easier for me to say this because I know how to fix things,...with the help of all the knowledgeable people from these RV forums. Thanks
Old 10-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I think your comparison of cars (mass produced) to motor home production is way off base. You would be more accurate to compare the building of a house to the building of a motor home.

Chassis' such as Freightliner and Ford are massed produced and have relatively few issues, but when you start adding wood and steel house components to them built by humans one at a time, you will run into issues.

The public isn't demanding quality, but demanding bargain prices. If they could buy it at Walmart they would. You get what you pay for.
Spot on! When you look at an RV as a custom vehicle with a house on it, then the problem makes more sense. People buy low quality houses built by sub par contractors who load them with glitz to lure the majority of buyers all the time. We shopped around for a home builder and researched all of them before hiring one. Now we have a well built home and have had great service after the sale. We didn't buy on price alone. And the Japanese weren't going to affect the home building market. Why would we expect them to affect the rv market? These are not cookie cutter vehicles that are made thousands at a time, and we aren't going to see robots doing the majority of the work. Buy rv's that are made by companies that have a reputation of quality, and you will have a better chance at getting a well built rv. Pretty simple.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #27

Part of the problem is most people that buy a new coach have no idea of the QC problems in this industry. I'm guessing but I would bet that less than 10% of folks that buy a new RV belong to forums like this.

People keep buying out of ignorance. If everyone knew about the QC problems, recently used coaches with the kinks worked out would probably sell for almost as much as new ones. That would probably get the industries attention.

If everyone that bought a new coach exercised the slides, levelers, appliances and anything else mechanical a hundred times before taking delivery, the manufacturer would be inclined to up their QC.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #28

I learned my lesson the hard way. Had a list of 25 things on my new Winnebago for a to fix. Some so obvious to CW that a blind person should have seen them and fixed them before the sale.
Next time, if there is a next time, no money will change hands until a complete shake down drive and every single component, switch, lever and fit/finish is inspected and passed by me. Then we will see who has the power.

awol50 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems