Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #1

The Simplest Things

Hi everyone,

I've found many topics and sites on the subjects of RV cooking/food stocking but I haven't really found one catering to this specifically... I'm trying to see how much I can stock the galley with goal of minimizing things with short shelf lives and that need refrigeration. So far, my thinking is...

1. Cereal (milk isn't long lived but does keep past the expiration date if handled right...)
2. Canned foods (soup, fruit, veggies)
3. Sandwiches (PBJ stores well enough; deli meats are very low volume for the freezer. Bread doesn't keep long though and is too bulky to freeze...)
4. Oatmeal (and associated dehydrated fruits, which can also be used with #1)
5. Pancake mix
6. Rice (not as a meal itself, just filler when eaten with other things...)

I'll probably think of more with time but I was wondering what others might think of...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Go to the grocery store more often and no worries. Not too many places are that far from civilization any more.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We have traveled with our 5er, our coach and our motorcyle tent trailer. Most difficult is the tent trailer as we only have a cooler with ice.

Generally we purchase/take things we like to eat. In all instances we get out and around to see different sights around the area. Making detours to a store is not onerous.

We generally will keep a couple tins of canned fish, packaged soup, flour, a frozen bag of shrimp, pasta, etc in case we do not feel like stopping at the store. We will not go hungry.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We used the high temp pasteurized boxed milk (UHT milk). It will last a long time on the shelf (a year or more unopened) and much longer in the refrigerator when opened than regular milk.

Walmart has it in the baking products area. They carry Nestles brand as I recall.
Boxed whole milk is sometimes harder to find than 2%. (We don't use 2%.)
City Market (Kroger), Safeway and Amazon carry a brand called Hershey's. Their web site explains the process and has an availability locator. See HERE

We use it in the stick house now because it lasts so long and we don't use much milk so the regular spoils before we use much of the carton. Tastes the same to us.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer_ View Post
Hi everyone,

I've found many topics and sites on the subjects of RV cooking/food stocking but I haven't really found one catering to this specifically... I'm trying to see how much I can stock the galley with goal of minimizing things with short shelf lives and that need refrigeration. So far, my thinking is...

1. Cereal (milk isn't long lived but does keep past the expiration date if handled right...)
2. Canned foods (soup, fruit, veggies)
3. Sandwiches (PBJ stores well enough; deli meats are very low volume for the freezer. Bread doesn't keep long though and is too bulky to freeze...)
4. Oatmeal (and associated dehydrated fruits, which can also be used with #1)
5. Pancake mix
6. Rice (not as a meal itself, just filler when eaten with other things...)

I'll probably think of more with time but I was wondering what others might think of...
Howdy and welcome to iRV2!

Do you mean stuff to leave in the RV all the time? Are you full time or just a vacationer? Personally, I don't leave ANY food at all in our motorhome when it's in storage. We have never had bugs or mice and I don't want to encourage them to take up residence.

I leave salt and pepper shakers in the pantry, but I zip them into a plastic bag. Because it gets hot inside the stored RV during the summer, I don't even leave condiments like mustard or ketchup in there.

Food for any trip is stocked fresh each time. I loosely plan a few meals, but mostly buy fresh as we travel.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:57 PM   #6

Thanks for the welcomes and tips. I know a store is never more than a few hours away and can be stopped at on the way to places; I just want to minimize trips in sometimes. Not for keeping in the RV during non-use seasons.

I think I have a good enough basis, at least enough that water will be the limiting factor. Thank you again.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like the idea. Not sure if others do it but while parked in the driveway I like to keep a stock of food in case of emergency or natural disaster. Im not a prepper but certainly have had the moho come in handy when the power goes out. Except for winter the moho is ready at all times with full fuel, propane, clothing, water and food. Jump in and go.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #8

You might try almond milk. It also has a long shelf life and has no lactose. No, it does NOT taste like real milk, but we like it.

Tom

TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote