Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2015, 10:27 AM   #1

The "Tiny House"

In the last few months there has been a few "Tiny House" programs surfacing on my satellite TV. After watching this "new" craze I decided these people must have never seen a RV or any Travel Trailer. Every program seems to be a video of builders trying to build a RV sized living unit, often on wheels that is in fact a poor copy of a Travel Trailer. A trip to any RV lot would produce a far superior product with better features.

What are these people thinking?

Has Television programming hit a new low for originality?

HD Televisions get better and better as programs sink to new lows.
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
We've watched Tiny House Nation and thought the same thing. I see folks spending upward of 50K and for that you can get a good used Class A and be done with it. Get a 5er and a pickup. Why reinvent the wheel?

I would not want to tow one of those things with the best truck on the road. May as well buy a Tuffshed and a flatbed. Amounts to the same thing. I can see it as a permanent structure if you really want to live small and cheap, but not as a trailer.

SMH
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #3

Even as a permanent structure they don't make any sense. The standard single wide modular home is far superior to the stuff they are building and far less costly.
The television crowd seem desperate for program ideas.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #4

Oklahoma Boomers Club
We started watching it hoping for space saving ideas for our coach. Frankly I have better ideas than they do.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:12 AM   #5

They are made to be semi permenant, well insulated, and don't have things they don't need. No engine, drive train, 12 volt systems, holding tanks, etc. They would be too small for myself but then again they are as big as some NY or Paris apartments.
If I were going to drop 35-40K to stay put in say upstate NY where the winters are harsh, I would probably go for a tiny house over a TT or 5er for that price.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #6

There are hundreds of single wide modular homes in upstate NY and they are well insulated' built to code and cost Al lot less than anything I have seen on the Tiny House TV programs. The Tiny Houses I have seen all are poorly designed. Any RV would be better. Low-end modular single wide units may not look cute or trendy but they are better designed and better insulated for use as a permanent home.

I lived in one of these units during the Vietnam War in both the Philippines and Vietnam. They were excellent compact homes that had A/C and could be permanent or set up to move if required. The Military used them for "instant-housing" for ASAF Air Crews at the height of the war.....sure beat tents!
Old 02-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #7

I don't think the tiny house is meant to be used as a RV, i.e., traveling around the country with it. They are meant as a cabin or permanent home.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
We started watching it hoping for space saving ideas for our coach. Frankly I have better ideas than they do.
Same thing here, but I have learned a few things from watching. DW thinks it's a stupid program, but she has always had a much narrower idea of adapting to anything other than what she has already done.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:36 PM   #9

Television is scripted and staged. Our nation is dumbing down, but hopefully not that far down.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #10

There is not much on television that does not involve "Drama" today. Most are scripted and designed to make people look rediculous and they have accomplished it in fine fashion.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:45 AM   #11

I have some background in television...To understand the junk we see on television you must realize that television is a very "hungry" beast....it consumes programming 24/7 and with satellite and cable the number of these hungry consumers of product keeps increasing.
Producers are always looking for programs to feed the beast. The programs must fit in their narrow profile....cheap to produce...must appeal to the lowest intelligence level in society. When I went to school to learn how to produce programs the first thing I learned was..."Audiences is stupid".... That phrase was posted daily in every class.....if you follow it your programs will get high ratings...sad but true.
That simple guideline explains why just about everything that finds its way to our television screen seems to insult our intelligence.
Cheap dumb programming makes money because it appeals to the lowest common dominator in our society.
Example: Reality Shows.....no known expensive actors to pay....no sets to build, just use whatever is there....very little script writing....basic low budget production...and dumb and dumber Americans watch it...sponsors like it because rates are cheap...industry wins...we loose!
Old 02-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #12

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomster View Post
Example: Reality Shows.....no known expensive actors to pay....no sets to build, just use whatever is there....very little script writing....basic low budget production...and dumb and dumber Americans watch it...sponsors like it because rates are cheap...industry wins...we loose!
We have a little insight on that genre. We know some folks on one very popular Discovery Channel show. We have watched some of the tapings. So much of what looks like spontaneous action is so heavily scripted and reshot from different angles or because they flubbed the scene.

Drama is way over played when there was zero real danger. So little of reality tv is actual reality. However some of the stars are paid more than you might think. One of our family members almost became a part time cast member because of a personal involvement with one of the main characters. They were offered a goodly sum but declined because they like their private life. Everywhere the cast members go they are mobbed.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Guess it doesn't take much to entertain us these days. (myself included). lol Yes, can't say a whole lot for the Tiny House Nation. Once in a while though, they come up with something unique. Again, as was said, 30k for a 8 x20 house on wheels???? And a composting toilet for those who want to entertain???? Who gets to "empty" every day??? lol
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #14

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCOToyhaul View Post
Guess it doesn't take much to entertain us these days. (myself included). lol Yes, can't say a whole lot for the Tiny House Nation. Once in a while though, they come up with something unique. Again, as was said, 30k for a 8 x20 house on wheels???? And a composting toilet for those who want to entertain???? Who gets to "empty" every day??? lol
<------ Not this guy