Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-11-2015, 07:40 AM   #15
I just got an F350 and have been told I should wave at other Super Duty Fords, but I am usually pulling a fifth wheel as well so do I wave at other fivers, or at all RVs plus Ford Super Duty trucks? And how will they know the difference between a Super Duty wave and an RV wave? It is all so confusing!
I don't do the bowtie wave as so many drivers are packing these days.

2015 F350 XLT PSD CCSB SRW, Andersen Ultimate hitch
'12 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde Pinbox
1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #16
Waving is fraught with danger if done unthinkingly.

When we set off on our first trip around Australia in our huge (by Australian RV standards) white tag axle bus, I used to wave at anything that was coming towards us. In Oz, waving really means raising one's index finger while leaving the rest of the fingers on the steering wheel, but occasionally we would also give a "proper' wave like the Queen gives when on parade.

Now you also need to understand that in Australia, there are perhaps three main classes of RVers (not that we use that term either).

There are the backpackers, those poor unfortunates who travel around in a beat up van with side sliding doors - very derogatorily referred to as Whizzzzzz-BANGs - and I'll leave it to you to figure out why.

Oh, there is also a subspecies of the whizzzzbangers, and that is the people with such bad taste as to actually pay money to hire a Wicked Camper which are infamously reviled for having misogynistic slogans spray painted all over them. You can see some examples if you google "Wicked Campers Australia" http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-1...ss-fun/5598858 and http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...-1226621001186 which is even more gross. Some caravan parks refuse to even let them in the front gate - bit like those RV Resorts that refuse motorhomes over 10 years old in the US. Lowers the tone of the place doesn't it.

Next step up the evolutionary ladder are those pulling caravans - which in Australian doesn't mean the long line of newbies heading up to foreign countries like Alaska and - shudder - Mexico in the tender care of a verbose waggon master and a taciturn tailend charlie, but is what you call a Travel Trailer.

Of course there are all sorts of other lesser-known tribes with fivers, slideons and the like, but they aren't all that much in evidence.

Then, top of the dung-heap are the motorhomes and way above those are the BigRigs which are very rare and deserve the awe and attention they deservedly get when we deign to turn up among the other lesser mortals.

Anyway, to get to the point of my ramblings - the topic of this discussion - after we had been on the road for a few weeks we began to hear disturbing reports of an unusual surge in the number of whizz-bangs and caravans and even an occasional minimalist motorhome crashing and burning, sometimes with great loss of life if they happened to involve a school bus or a group of CWA ladies out on an excursion.

Verrrry puzzling indeed.

Anyway, we were cruising along an outback road at 62 and a half miles per hour - which is 100kmph, the maximum allowable for a heavy vehicle in Australia - when we saw huge activity up ahead. Lots of dust as vehicles pulled up across the road, even tractor trailers crosswise as well and flashing lights by the dozens and several hundred police and troops.

What on earth.....

Anyway, we coasted to a stop wondering what it was all about. Next second, out BigBus is full of flash-bangs and tear gas and lead is flying everywhere and we are flat on our faces with ten cops kneeling on our chest. You know the scene.

Actually, that doesn't happen in Australia. In reality, a lone policeman pulled up level with us and gestured for me to please pull over. He then very apologetically asked if we could spare a minute and accepted our invitation to come inside out of the sun.

Long story short, he told us about all the crashes that had been happening all over Australia and the great amount of investigations that had been done over many weeks and when all the analysis had been completed and the few survivors stories collated, the one single factor that emerged was that a very large white bus had come in the opposite direction just at the time of the crashes.

Nothing unusual in that of course but what was very unusual was that in each case the drivers and the passengers of the crashing vehicles went into a catatonic state and ran off the road.

Why? Because the driver of a vehicle on the top of the RVing ladder deigned to wave at these unworthy creatures and their already fragile psyche just couldn't handle it.

Of course I hadn't done anything illegal but the nice policeman did ask if I could curb my enthusiasm and stop waving to other drivers.

True story.

Thanks heavens I wasn't driving a King Aire eh?

Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #17
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by planojeeper View Post
I'm a waver but it comes from driving my jeep
Same here.
Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
I wave of I'm not busy though I realize the other driver may be busy as well so it doesn't bother me if they don't respond.
2005 Winnebego Sightseer 34A Honda Civic - Toad
John How is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:31 PM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by planojeeper View Post
I'm a waver but it comes from driving my jeep
Yep. In my Jeep, you can add me to that list.

But I seldom wave at a fellow RV'r because it's hard to see them thru their tinted windshields. And if I can't see them, more than likely they can't see me. Plus, at highway speeds I'd just as soon keep my hands on the wheel.

In a park or a park entrance, yeah, I always wave, to everybody. And pretty much, they always wave back!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I tried waving at others coachs and after about 10 attempts I gave up.
I don't do well with rejection.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:42 AM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
I usually wave at a fellow RVer. Some acknowledge the wave, some do not.

I have travelled the country on motorcycle and wave at every bike coming towards me.
I ride a Honda Goldwing and wave at ALL riders.
The Harley Davidson riders usually do not wave back.

Is this a "class thing"?
Do certain class A's feel they are better than others?

How many of you actually wave to a fellow RVer?

When we are in a park, sitting outside at happy hour, we wave at everyone that walks by.
Why the difference?

I don't think it's so much of a "class" thing as it is that folks are concentrating on the road and just don't pay that much attention. Also, if you're on a multi-lane highway with a median in the middle, it's hard to see if the other guy is waving or not!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:53 AM   #22
When I drive my Studebaker I always wave at other Studebaker drivers. I don't get to wave very often.... :(
2004.5 GMC SLT CCLB, Ride Rites, Turbo brake, EFI Live
2012 Arctic Fox 29 5T 5th Airborne, B&W, Prodigy
Papillon navigators Lily, Buddy and Willow
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:11 AM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club
Other RVs will get a raised index finger if we meet on a 2 lane road. Once parked and in my lounge chair, I'll lift my entire hand as they drive or walk by.

If I pass a nicely maintained classic on the road, I'll give a full hand as a compliment.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #24
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
When we are in a park, sitting outside at happy hour, we wave at everyone that walks by.
Why the difference?
When I ventured into RVing back in 2004 with a PopUp I was actively told, (by RV message board posts, RVIA website, the GoodSam Website, RV salesmen), that RVer's are the "friendliest people around".

I really wanted to believe that!

However, I immediately noticed that when waving at red-vest wearing Good Sam members when driving into the campground they never waved back, but did indeed gawk as I struggled to back into my site.

Once, while pulled over on the road about 1/4 mile from a RV resort I had just visited when towing my PopUp, I ran over a tire retread, (alligator), and it wedged under the trailer's axle. Many, many "friendly" RVers just whizzed on by. I kinda expected a random RVer to just stop and offer help, like I always read about.

Not once has a fellow RVer randomly waved, helped, or flagged me over. This past summer a random motorist did flag me over to tell me that my toad's safety chains were dragging and sparking.

I have met countless friends through camping groups, attending rallys, and campouts. And all those folks are indeed very friendly and more like family once they know my family and I.

However, while no random RVer has ever been outright hostile towards me or my family, I have yet, after over 15 years of RVing to meet actual friendly random waving RVers!
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:54 PM   #25
I don't wave much. All my attention is directed to driving and avoiding idiots short-stopping in front of me, watching for the bicyclist just around the bend, the oncoming vehicle straddling the yellow line, etc.
I wave at almost everyone while in a CG.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tried the wave on my last trip. I found a few things that hinder the process. Sometimes the median was too wide and I don't think the other people saw me waving. Sometimes I had pressing issues such as traffic or a decent turn in the road and waving wasn't possible as my attention needed to be on the road. Sometimes your just paying attention to whats going on in front of you and miss the guy heading the other way. In any case, I found when conditions allowed and I waved, most waved back. I find it fun to acknowledge others that have the same hobby and get that smiling wave back! So if you see my bounder with a big white trailer behind it sailing down the road between northern illinois and georgia, GIVE ME A WAVE!!
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #27

Originally Posted by chiavet View Post
Never thought of waving when driving an RV but definitely wouldn't hurt, guess we're gonna have to start. We waveall the time when in our vette and usually get a wave back from other vettes. Lack of wave from Rv's might be that other drivers just aren't expecting a wave or concentrating totally on the road and don't see it.

save the wave
I agree ... Save the Wave !!!
We too always wave ... whether in the Bus or in the Vette or in the park ... It's always nice to get a wave back ... but there is no expectation for a returned wave ....
Happy Travels Everyone !!!
Hal & Jackie .... 03 TS Select 45DS01
02 Haulmark 20' Edge .... 02 Corvette Rdstr

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:45 PM   #28
I restrict my waiving to the CG...too many idiots on the road

pismocouple is offline   Reply With Quote