Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Therm Heat & Classic Flame fireplaces

I am thinking of installing the 18" Therma Heat or 18" Classic Flame fireplace. Has anyone installed either and was the results good or bad?

Jerry and Judy Davis
Fremont, California
05-06 36'FDDS
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 04:32 AM   #2
Jerry, it probably depends upon what your expectations are. If you're looking to use it as a decoration then it will probably work well for you. If you're looking to use it for additional heat then it may not perform as expected. Keep in mind that these are only rated at 1400 watts (4600BTU), which is about the same heat output as a handheld hair dryer or small electric heater. If you have a small electric space heater that you could use in that location for the time being to test with... I'd suggest trying that first before purchasing one of these to see if the heat output is acceptable to your needs.

94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a decoration, wither will work, As for heating, you can do just a well with a $30.00 ceramic heater from Walmart. Either one puts out 1500 Watts of heat, but you loos a cabinet and you are fixed at one location for the heater. A small ceramic heater can be easily moved for spot heating.

Before we took delivery of our cameo, we had the fireplace removed and cabinet doors installed. The small ceramic heater is more practical.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I mounted one I got from electricfireplaces.com in the cabinet under the dining table. The cabinet is hard to get at and we didn't carry much in it anyhow. The unit is 1,500 watts with 3 speed fan. It is not a large enough heat element to run you out of the coach, but it takes the chill off nicely when watching a movie on a cool evening or having a cup of coffee on a cold morning. Plus the ambiance is great...Good luck....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fierplace.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	54844  
Terry & Brenda - From the Iowa Banks of the Mighty Mississippi
2011 Winnie Journey 34y, Freightliner / Cummins , 2012 Chevy Colorado Toad

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We ruled out a permanent fire place for the following reasons: The max number of watts any electric heater can put out is 1,500, so we opted for a Lasko tower that we can move from room to room, don't lose storage space, is lighter, and much cheaper.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
We added in a fireplace that we found at Lowe's that is only 1350 watts. We get around freezing temps at night right now and it pretty much heats the whole RV. For those rare times when it's going to go lower than what it's been or stay low we then plug in the cube heater we got from Best Buy. Both the fireplace and the cube heater both are temp programmable and we keep it around 68.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #7

Our 2014 Phaeton has an amazing fireplace and we also have the heated floors. Both do an excellent job of keeping the MH warm, without the furnace or heat pumps running. We have been in upper 20's and its been very warm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chair.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	54854  
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
I too put one in, the wife bought a freestanding mantle unit but it took up way too much space. So i gutted a little used cabinet and installed it there. It's a quartz infared heater and does a decent job of keeping the main salon area warm down well into the low 40's. I don't worry about the bedroom as i have a heated matress pad anyway.

I'm glad i did it, nice ambiance, that particular cabinet just seemed to collect junk anyway so we haven't missed it. As the front fascia is held on with magnets i can remove it in a sec and store/hide stuff on both side of it when neccessary too! Here's a couple of pics before and after redoing the flooring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fireplace.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	54864   Click image for larger version

Name:	fireplace2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	337.8 KB
ID:	54865  

2006 37' Damon Astoria DP 3595 Pacific Edition
2013 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD
Ozzy & Morgan - mini Dachshunds
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen some really nice free standing electric "Fireplace" heaters lately, One is about a foot across.

Of course,, I have an even better deal with my new laptop...
Its a windows 8.1 box.. There is a virtual fireplace app.
You get the video effects, and the sound effects, Very little heat though (A few watts from the CPU fan).. You need a "30 dollar ceramic" under the comptuer table for heat . Also have the app for my 'droid.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote