Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #169

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
This discussion has been such a positive reinforcement for someone who has:
* owned an RV since September;
* just bought a tow bar; and
* will be towing a toad pretty much all the time the RV will be on the road.

Oh, yeah, I'm feeling much more confident now.

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to have a rear view camera.

VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 09:06 PM   #170
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Well, since this thread is re started, I moved the motorhome in the dark tonight to get it closer to the house so the hose would reach to fill the water tank. Forgot to unplug the power cord. Thank god it separated from the extension cord but still got caught under the wheels and stretched it enough to split the outer casing. I carefully checked the length of it and plugged it back in to test it. Works fine but I'm not going to take any chances. I bet that cord is going to cost me 2-3 hundred bucks. Could have been worse I guess had I damaged the socket it plugs into or damaged the bay door or something. AARRRRRGGHHHH!!!!!
At least the tire didn't yank the cord right out of the coach, destroying the transfer switch and denting the door as well. Don't ask me how I know this.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #171

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Was at a local campground and the site next to me had a brand new Chevrolet Dually pulling a brand new 40' fifth wheel. One morning I walked over to the shower facility and as I was coming back I see the wife with a Walkie talkie in her hand. Brake lights check, left turn signal check, and on and on. I mean following the checklist to a T. As I got closer they had both climbed in the truck and ready to pull out. I started to say have a safe trip, but for some reason just waved as I walked by their truck. I had taken about 4 steps when I heard this loud crashing sound. In all their checking of everything they had forgotten one tiny thing. Make sure the trailer is properly attached to the hitch. Well it wasn't and as they pulled out the front of the fifth wheel landed on the side rails of the truck causing a lot of damage. As they got out I simply said if there is anything I can do please let me know.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #172
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAParrothead View Post
This discussion has been such a positive reinforcement for someone who has:

* owned an RV since September;

* just bought a tow bar; and

* will be towing a toad pretty much all the time the RV will be on the road.

Oh, yeah, I'm feeling much more confident now.

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to have a rear view camera.

The camera is useful but even more important is a TPMS. A flat on the toad unnoticed for even a few miles can cause major damage.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #173

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
Not RV related but still on topic. I went to the supermarket yesterday for a few things, cashier rang them through. I handed her a 20 and she froze. Bag boy asked what's wrong? He gave me a twenty what do I do? She hadn't rung the transaction in the proper sequence so the machine could show correct change. Bag boy whipped out his trusty geewhiz hi-teh whatever phone while I asked the amount owing. $13.11. You owe me six dollars and eighty nine cents. Junior confirmed the figure, she gave me my change saying "I don't know how to do that". She seemed a bright and articulate young woman yet can't do grade five arithmetic. Or am I out of touch with the modern world?
Went to McDonalds here, bill was $3.25, handed the young man a 10, he rang it up, I said wait, and handed him a quarter. He called manager to cancel the order and clear the register. She said, "No, that's easy just give him seven dollars". As she walked away the young man said, "if they give the exact change, always just give them seven dollars?" Manager leaving- said "YES"..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #174

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Went to McDonalds here, bill was $3.25, handed the young man a 10, he rang it up, I said wait, and handed him a quarter. He called manager to cancel the order and clear the register. She said, "No, that's easy just give him seven dollars". As she walked away the young man said, "if they give the exact change, always just give them seven dollars?" Manager leaving- said "YES"..
How many iced drinks did you buy and throw away?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #175

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
The camera is useful but even more important is a TPMS. A flat on the toad unnoticed for even a few miles can cause major damage.
I hear what you're saying. Still, I haven't been a TPMS fan. Instead, I check pressure in every tire any day the RV will move, and check tire temperatures at every fuel or rest stop.

Anyone out there have any thoughts on this approach? Do I need to rethink because I'll now be pulling a toad?
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #176
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAParrothead View Post
Anyone out there have any thoughts on this approach? Do I need to rethink because I'll now be pulling a toad?
Works fine until the day you run over some debris on the highway and it punctures a tire. I pulled my boat one time with a flat until all that was left was about half a rim. A trucker finally pulled along side and waved me over.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:19 AM   #177

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I wonder if basics are still taught in the early grades.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	idiots.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	64048  
Old 05-28-2014, 11:42 PM   #178

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like it.
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #179

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Try doing this at McDonalds, Wendys, BK, etc. Bill is $3.23. Give cashier a $10; wait until register tells cashier to give $.6.77 change. Now hand cashier a quarter. Stand back and watch the fun...
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:36 AM   #180

All young people should have to work a job making change without a POS terminal. I was once assistant manager of a video game arcade, and we made change from our pockets as we walked the floor. You learn to make change quickly there! :-)
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #181

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I wonder if basics are still taught in the early grades.
Our 7 yr old granddaughter is now in 1st grade.
Her kindergarten teacher last year was surprised that she already knew how to spell words correctly, not phonetically (the kids are allowed to spell phonetically until 2nd grade), and knew what " " was used for and how to use them.
When going into 1st grade she had to get to special permission to take books out at the school library for 5th and 6th grade. After she reads a book her dad has her write at least a paragraph on what she thought the book was about, sorta like a book report.
In her math class the teacher asked the kids "Can you take 10 from 8?" All the kids said "No" but Lisa says "Yes, you get -2". The teachers response? "No, we are not doing negative numbers right now"

So .... are the basics taught in school? I am not sure anymore.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #182

Many years back (late '80s) when I was in votech school for an IT program, we had a couple high school kids attending. They were shocked when we 'old guys' taught them how to figure a square root the 'long' way, on paper. They were being taught in school some oddball method of guessing a number and trying it, essentially bracketing it over and over til they finally got it. Seemed very inefficient to us. But that was the then-current 'new math'. Ah, "progress".......

LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote