Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #183

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeRevell View Post
They were being taught in school some oddball method of guessing a number and trying it, essentially bracketing it over and over til they finally got it. Seemed very inefficient to us. But that was the then-current 'new math'. Ah, "progress".......
Yup - that was called the "guess and check" method - part of the reason we are losing our place among the top in math and sciences...

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2014, 07:31 PM   #184

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Slide rule

Anyone other than me still have one. Haven't used it in about 40 years, but it's still in the desk drawer.

LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:31 PM   #185

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
Anyone other than me still have one. Haven't used it in about 40 years, but it's still in the desk drawer.
Same here, looked at my old K&E slide rule and not much comes to mind other than very basics..(I think I used to be very proficient) ... Also in that drawer is my E6B "flight computer" actually a circular slide rule for true airspeed, fuel, time and distance calculations and wind correction, --that one I remember...Wow
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:02 PM   #186

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Yep, still have mine!
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:16 PM   #187

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Same here, looked at my old K&E slide rule and not much comes to mind other than very basics..(I think I used to be very proficient) ... Also in that drawer is my E6B "flight computer" actually a circular slide rule for true airspeed, fuel, time and distance calculations and wind correction, --that one I remember...Wow
Hubby still has that and his slide rule.. never see him use them anymore though...
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:41 AM   #188

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Observed a "Senior Moment" (I can say that because I am a senior). Was setting in my lounge chair enjoying the Key West breeze and that first cup of coffee last week when I heard the purring of a DP coming up the exit drive accompanied by a sliding screechy sound. One of the guests was leaving with his SUV on a tow-bar with both front wheels locked up and sliding. He had pulled it at least 500 feet plus, and the tires were so hot they were smoking. I ran behind him in view of his mirror, barefoot, yelling, waving and whistling. All to no avail, luckily he had to stop for the automated gate. From his calm attitude when he got out of the MH to correct the situation I don't think this was his first Rodeo.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #189

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Still have my slide rule from High School and several others as I collect antique technology items.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #190

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Still have my first calculator. Wife bought it for me when they were just available, guys at work all were coming in my office to see it,, and spell "77345" (shell). It cost her $98 and is the about the size of 1/2 a brick, 4 functions, add, subtract, multiply, divide, whoppee.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #191

i have not thought about a slide rule in over 40 years!!!