Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Heard of an old couple who had finally bought themselves a brand new car, their first. Took it away on holiday and the brakes failed. He checked, and a brake hose had come loose, so no fluid. Drove for thirty miles, VERY slowly, to the nearest garage and pulled into the forecourt with great relief. Not a scratch on the lovely new car. Told the manager what his problem was, and the manager said it was easily fixed, called for a young mechanic to drive it into the workshop. Said young mechanic, impressed with new car, revved it up, swung round into the workshop and went straight through the back wall! Apparently it didn't have any brakes!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #30

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburner View Post
Lately I've seen a lot of gas motorhomes in Ohio; at our state parks, parked on a slope with their jacks extended as far as they can go and their wheels 8-10" off the ground. Nothing under the wheels in case the jacks give out....
I've been parking our DSDP at home for the last 11 years with the front tires completely off the ground with no problems.
I don't see a problem.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #31

If I shared some of my goofs, the rest of you would have me committed.
Back in my youth I got involved in local stock car racing. The tv was a Chevelle ht (not mine), the trailer a two axle unit normally used for hauling a skid steer. The trailer brakes were not hooked up and we didn't use the safety chains. We figured in our youthful wisdom if the trailer decided to leave we weren't going with it.
We returned one night from a track about 100 miles away doing 75-80 most of the time. The next day I happened to look at the hitch which consisted of a u-channel cross member under the fuel tank, a tow bar with a ball, and a vertical strap from the bar to the bumper which had separated from the bar. The bolt head securing the ball was scarred from hitting the pavement. One weld was all that separated us from disaster. OK OK we were nuts.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #32

A friend told me that, one time when he was towing his Beach Blanket Bingo dune buggy, it came off the hitch and ended up in a ditch; right side up. A highway patrolman stopped him and asked if he was missing anything. He didn't want to talk about it, so I didn't ask what part of the hitch disconnected.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I had service done at a CW ( a small warranty issue ). I plugged into their shore power as we were outside against the building. I went inside to sign off on the repair and the tech assistant ( 2nd day on the job ) moved the MH to the front of the store. I went 180 miles up the road and when I opened the bay my 50 amp power cord was missing. The CW employee thought the cord belonged to them. It was 95 degrees so we drove the toad back to get it. Not a good day.
sorry to hear that, but going to CW this week to pick up my coach for warranty work. will need to check that the power cord is in the bay.I bet the first words after 180 miles were " Darn,Darn,Darn" Just guessing.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #34
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wrong on those first three words.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #35

Next door neighbor stores a big-[ moderator edit ]triple axle equipment trailer for a friend of his. I have to move it in order to get my race car trailer and motor home out of the driveway (it's a cul-de-sac and the driveways intersect at the street).

His rig requires a larger hitch ball than mine AND the hitch has to be raised several inches, so I figured I could get away with using my normal hitch - it was just to the end of the block, so what could go wrong?

going DOwn the slight driveway incline the angle between my truck and his trailer kept the two units together. Got to the end of the street and went thru the drainage dip at the intersection (desert dwellers will know what I mean).

His trailer stayed high on the three axles and my hitch ball dropped out of the coupler, and the trailer just kept on going straight, while I turned.

Luckily it stopped against the curb, about 5 feet from another truck. The REAL pain was rolling that monster back by hand and then hooking it up at near 90 degree angles!

No, I wasn't using the safety chains either. It was 11pm, so no witnesses to the stupidity.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:22 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Well, you haven't lived until you have locked yourself out of the moho with the motor running and the dog inside. Life is an adventure!
As said before, this has certainly been a very entertaining thread. On a serious note, lockouts have always haunted me so I keep extra entry keys only in one of these in the propane bay:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MasterLock.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	37324

(Master Lock 5400D Select Access Key Storage Box with Set-Your-Own Combination Lock, 1-Pack - Amazon.com)
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
The worst of it is I'm only into my third year of ownership. Rookie mistakes but my wheels are all on tight and the coach is 100% except for a bit of road rash.

Forgot another lesson learned. Took out one of those green telephone patch panels due to how much the tail swings out on turns. Lucky for me it was plastic and I think had taken a few hits in the past.
Did you get into any trouble? Around here they give you a ticket for that. A friend of mine did something simular.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Well, you haven't lived until you have locked yourself out of the moho with the motor running and the dog inside. Life is an adventure!
My dog always steps on the door lock button and locks me out of the truck. I quickly learned to keep a spare set of keys hidden under the truck.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My turn:

We had a 37 foot fifth wheel, with an F450 Crew Cab Powerstroke as a tow vehicle. We're spending 2 weeks at a local campground one hot summer and decided that rather than drive the truck around for the 2 weeks the wife brought her Ford Escape. So, we went into town one day and when we returned for some reason we had to switch drivers - I forget the reason, but I got out of the driver's seat, and closed my door. Simultaneously the wife got out of the passenger seat and closed her door. She came around to the driver's door and went to open it - locked! Somehow, we managed to lock all the doors, with the engine running!

Fortunately we were only about 30 miles from home so I got my truck keys out of the trailer, put the wife in the trailer, with the AC pumping, and drove home to get our spare set of Escape keys. About 40 minutes home, 40 minutes back, and the Escape was still happily idling away when I got back. Now we ALWAYS have 2 sets of every key we might need on our persons whenever we go out!
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Now we ALWAYS have 2 sets of every key we might need on our persons whenever we go out!
I've been doing that since the 70s. One time I lost my second set of keys at the lake, and wouldn't ya know it, I locked myself out of my 76 T-Bird in my driveway. I had a hide-a-key in my back yard shed and let myself in to call a locksmith. 30/30 (sec/$). He was in and I was out.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #41

I have a Travel Trailer I have a spare set of keys to the pickup in the camper and a spare set of keys to the camper in the pickup.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ever notice as we get older things happen to us that only happened to people we previously considered stupid?