Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
Not RV related but still on topic. I went to the supermarket yesterday for a few things, cashier rang them through. I handed her a 20 and she froze. Bag boy asked what's wrong? He gave me a twenty what do I do? She hadn't rung the transaction in the proper sequence so the machine could show correct change. Bag boy whipped out his trusty geewhiz hi-teh whatever phone while I asked the amount owing. $13.11. You owe me six dollars and eighty nine cents. Junior confirmed the figure, she gave me my change saying "I don't know how to do that". She seemed a bright and articulate young woman yet can't do grade five arithmetic. Or am I out of touch with the modern world?
If you want to really see the "deer in the headlights" look, ask them to calculate 10% of $1.00. Sad, really.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #114

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
The bridge was inspected in November and was found to be perfectly sound and properly signed.

The truck driver knocked that last span down, plain and simple. Only question now is whether his employer is going to cover the damages, or if we taxpayers are going to be stuck with it.

This taxpayer has her fingers crossed that the company will be held responsible just like BP was for their oil spill!
That is why trucking companies have insurance.

When it's the government's fault, that is why they have Tax payers. It was the government that gave him the permit to carry on down the road!!
Old 05-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
That truck did not bring the bridge down. There was not enough damage to the high front of the trailer to bring the bridge down. Washington State is using this poor sap and his company as scapegoats.
I agree with you Possum, this thing has a Bad Smell to it.
I read the trucking company not only had their permits in order (issued by the WA dept. of Transport), they also sent a pole car ahead a day or so to confirm they would not be over height. The Pole Car was 4' higher than the road height of the load.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
Not RV related but still on topic. she gave me my change saying "I don't know how to do that". She seemed a bright and articulate young woman yet can't do grade five arithmetic. Or am I out of touch with the modern world?
I came back to my toad in WM parking lot in Lake Havasu City. Fellow ( late teen) looking at my van , cell phone in hand. I asked if there was a problem, he explained he had never heard of B.C. and was Googling to find out where I was from; said they really didn't teach geography in school.
If I couldn't name all 50 US states and their capitals , I would have failed grade 5. Reminds me of the National Network TV reporter , asking New Yorkers to pick out New York state on a map that didn't name the states.
They probably didn't show all the responders , but a number of yuppies couldn't do it, then they asked a street person, 50ish . Who responded " What are you talking about.. anyone can do that " and pointed right to the correct spot on the map and named all the states in alphabetical order.Can't judge a book by it's cover.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #117

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
That truck did not bring the bridge down. There was not enough damage to the high front of the trailer to bring the bridge down. Washington State is using this poor sap and his company as scapegoats.
Good grief- Conspiracy theories!

This despite the fact that the trucker himself says he struck the bridge, looked in his rear view mirror, and saw it go down in his wake.

But you're right- there's a huge conspiracy afoot involving DOT, the engineers that inspected the bridge in November, the Governor etc.

Probably goes all the way up to the White House!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #118

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Good grief- Conspiracy theories!

This despite the fact that the trucker himself says he struck the bridge, looked in his rear view mirror, and saw it go down in his wake.

But you're right- there's a huge conspiracy afoot involving DOT, the engineers that inspected the bridge in November, the Governor etc.

Probably goes all the way up to the White House!
I looked at the damage to the truck, which was minimal. I also feel the damage was not consistent with what happened to the bridge. I am not a bridge engineer but I was a metallurgist for a steel company and am quite familiar with the destructive testing of beams and columns and stuff and know what good steel can withstand.

If the trucker is found responsible I will personally blame your president if it makes you feel better.

As an aside how does calling bull to the WA DOT spokesman equate to a conspiracy theory.

Over to you
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #119

Thor Owners Club
The construction of that bridge is such that if one of the pieces(girders) is compromised it weakens the bridge to the point where, as in this case, it can collapse. A witness also reported that the pole on the pilot car was seen to have been moving as if it had struck something. The driver reported that he had not worked with the driver of the pilot car before and I was left with the impression the pilot car driver was new at it. The driver also reported there was no communication with the pilot car prior to the collision as it cleared the bridge ahead. The span is also not the same distance from the road surface to the cross beam from the centre to the left and right. So its likely that a bunch of things conspired to take the bridge down. I heard on the news that the federal government is putting up most of the dough to get the thing fixed. The most important thing is nobody was killed and the temporary bridge will be in place within by mid June. Not a bad day considering what it could have been.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #120

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
The construction of that bridge is such that if one of the pieces(girders) is compromised it weakens the bridge to the point where, as in this case, it can collapse. A witness also reported that the pole on the pilot car was seen to have been moving as if it had struck something. The driver reported that he had not worked with the driver of the pilot car before and I was left with the impression the pilot car driver was new at it. The driver also reported there was no communication with the pilot car prior to the collision as it cleared the bridge ahead. The span is also not the same distance from the road surface to the cross beam from the centre to the left and right. So its likely that a bunch of things conspired to take the bridge down. I heard on the news that the federal government is putting up most of the dough to get the thing fixed. The most important thing is nobody was killed and the temporary bridge will be in place within by mid June. Not a bad day considering what it could have been.
Yup at the end of it all, it could have been much worse. Just extremely lucky there weren't more vehicles involved and and no one was killed.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #121

Freightliner Owners Club
From this photo, looks like the bridge fell apart and hit the truck on it's way by.. Damage to the truck does not support the broken beams, separations and rust failures of the bridge trusses...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #122

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
I looked at the damage to the truck, which was minimal. I also feel the damage was not consistent with what happened to the bridge. I am not a bridge engineer but I was a metallurgist for a steel company and am quite familiar with the destructive testing of beams and columns and stuff and know what good steel can withstand.
This bridge was designed and built according to a set of engineering principles well known since the first arch was built by the Romans... every piece plays a role in its support.

What happens at the grocery store if you take just one can out of the pyramid display? Same thing that happened to this bridge when the trucker ran into it. It would be standing right now if he hadn't hit it, and to my way of thinking that makes him responsible.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #123

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca

This bridge was designed and built according to a set of engineering principles well known since the first arch was built by the Romans... every piece plays a role in its support.

What happens at the grocery store if you take just one can out of the pyramid display? Same thing that happened to this bridge when the trucker ran into it. It would be standing right now if he hadn't hit it, and to my way of thinking that makes him responsible.
The bridge and many just like it are functionally obsolete. It's a Wright Bros aircraft in 767 world. Other than that - everything you say is true as best I can gather from the news. Of course, like you, I don't watch the "Conspiracy Network" either.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

OK, folks. Let's get back on topic.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #125
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
OK, folks. Let's get back on topic.
What WAS the topic? LOL
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #126

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch

What WAS the topic? LOL
Nimrods - tinfoil hats and such I thought. Apparently not conspiracy theories - or the bridge. Not cementing on a mod direction - or hopefully not breaking a rule - just a little
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote