Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburner View Post
Saw a Fleetwood Southwind; approx 36-7 ft. this past weekend while I was sitting outside our coach...kind of watching the rv show as many of the campers leave on Sunday.
Anyway; I noticed this coaches left rear wheel doing what looked like somebody using a hoola hoop....
Where there should have been a dually; was a single rear wheel and his wheel was gyrating in and out of the wheel well.

I wish I could have gotten a picture.
Did you do the right thing and rush out to tell him or are you the type that sits back and laughs at the misfortune of others?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #72

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mel; I could have never caught up with the person driving the Southwind even before I lost control/ most use, of my left leg.
Laugh? No; it sends chills up my spine to see some of the things I see knowing full well they are wrong.
But your point is?
Something more sinister?

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburner View Post
Mel; I could have never caught up with the person driving the Southwind even before I lost control/ most use, of my left leg.
Laugh? No; it sends chills up my spine to see some of the things I see knowing full well they are wrong.
But your point is?
Something more sinister?
No point, just asking.
Believe it or not, some people enjoy the misery of others and wish they had a camera so they can share the joy.
Not you of course!
Mel
Old 05-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #74

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like a learning experience to me.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #75

Last February there was about 10 of us at a friends site near the entrance to the CG we spend the month at. The women folk were up front talking and us guys were at the back of the rig talking guy stuff. All of a sudden the women start yelling and gesticulating, so we all take off to the front just in time to watch a woman who was driving a 40' DP come in the exit and turn way too early. She hit the welcome shack and ripped the front awning support clean off the side of the rig. I guess she thought all that yelling for her to stop was a welcoming committee. When I was out on the bicycle later I rode by her rig. The drivers side front compartment had serious damage from some other incident. Now before any of you think this is women driver bashing, my wife and I share the driving duties and I am damn glad to have her. But she did take a course and had lots of behind the wheel time with me at her side.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #76

My uncle lost steer tire off his Kenworth tractor because lugs were over torqued, tire and wheel hit on coming Datsun280 z and killed 19 yr. old woman. Always check lugs Not over torqued if tires off for any reason.
ltfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #77

Thor Owners Club
We bought a 38' DP in 94, moving up from a 27' Class C. One of our first trips was visiting relatives in PA. We parked in DW's sister's driveway, plugged in and enjoyed a great visit. Having backed into the driveway, it was a straight-ahead pullout leaving. So... we loaded up and I pulled right out, turned into the street, and scraped the side of the coach along a stand of shrubbery at the junction of the street and driveway. Wow - those PA bushes are tough. Needless to say it required repainting the cargo doors all along that side. Thankfully, I stopped before going too far and doing even worse damage! Expensive lesson learned about turning too short with a long wheelbase
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Our next door neighbor just bought his first travel trailer. He brought it home last weekend and tried unsuccessfully for 45 minutes to back it into his driveway. All that backing up/pulling up was entertaining, lol.

He finally gave up and got another neighbor (who owns a 5er) to back it in for him. They have gone on their first trip this week; I can't wait to hear the war stories. Hope he found some pull-thrus.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
No point, just asking.
Believe it or not, some people enjoy the misery of others and wish they had a camera so they can share the joy.
Not you of course!
Mel
I am a person that just can't stand to see another person having difficulties. Sometimes after I get involved I think, just should have minded my own business but, most of the time, it works out to the good and everyone is happy.
One time that comes to mind was in Montana and the people across started pulling out in the AM with their Sat Dish still up. I spilled my coffee and took off on a dead run to flag them down. They were grateful for the heads up.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster1 View Post
Many years ago I drove a long nosed Peterbilt cross country in order to earn a living. On one occasion in Tucumcari, NM I needed to make a phone call. Pulled to the curb, set the brakes and headed for the phone booth. As part of my routine, I exited the cab and walked around in front of my truck. Made the call and while returning to the cab, walked around the curb side part of the rig, kicked the tires on the tractor and trailer, came around the rear and did the same on the roadside. Entered the cab, released the brakes, put in gear and released the clutch. Heard and slight crunch put though little of it, gave the Cat a little more throttle and soon realized something was amiss.

Exited the cab only to find that I had run over the hood of a Pontiac Fiero!!!!. Seems as if the young lady thought it would be ok to park in front of me on the wrong side of the road. I could not see the car from the my seat at it was out of the field of vision because of the hood.

Result: Me=new bumper and road lights, her: different car as her's was totaled. BTW, her insurance paid for it all.
Crazy. Why did they find her at fault?

I used to own a service station in San Francisco and once watched in horror as someone tried to squeeze through a narrow opening while the gas delivery truck was trying to maneuver into position. Driver couldn't see them and ran the tractor right up on their hood. I think they call them "tractors" for a reason. It didn't even hesitate to climb up the front of that Buick.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Crazy. Why did they find her at fault?

I used to own a service station in San Francisco and once watched in horror as someone tried to squeeze through a narrow opening while the gas delivery truck was trying to maneuver into position. Driver couldn't see them and ran the tractor right up on their hood. I think they call them "tractors" for a reason. It didn't even hesitate to climb up the front of that Buick.

Rick
She parked facing the wrong direction, left the car running and unattended and got a ticket. I guess that was enough for her insurance company to pay me. I really don't know if her Datsun Z?? was totaled but it sure looked that way to me.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #82
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Front end would have been more aerodynamic. (Flat)
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster1 View Post
She parked facing the wrong direction, left the car running and unattended and got a ticket. I guess that was enough for her insurance company to pay me. I really don't know if her Datsun Z?? was totaled but it sure looked that way to me.
Coaster1
Good story about running your Peterbuilt over the hood of a Pontiac Fiero.
I actually BELIEVED the story until your second post, when the PONTIAC FIERO magically became a DATSUN Z.

Which Was it a FIERO or A DATSUN??... or did you run over TWO cars???
Mel
Old 05-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #84

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote