Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #99

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch

That means the tire sidewalls aren't sealed to the rim. No inflating is gonna help that situation!
And not sure there's a cure for what got em that way or left em as such either. I'm sure if you asked there'd be plenty of air expended in the telling. As for the CG letting it sit there that way - do ya here banjo music at night. That's almost as unsightly as the trailer I saw with collapsed cardboard boxes bungie corded to tires to protect from UV. They do indeed walk among us.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #100

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Read in the paper that the trucker who hit the Skagit River Bridge was from Alberta.
Wonder if he mixed up his Metric with Imperial?
Old 05-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
There is a Blue Bird RV with both front tires as flat as can be. We pulled in here 3 days ago and they were flat then and they are still flat. .
I wonder if they have a rule against rigs over ten years old.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
The CG is a stop gap place for most. It is the Antelope Valley Fair Grounds RV Park. $20 for a back in 30 amp site and $25 for a pull thru 50 amp site. It really is nothing but a parking lot but for that price to stay for a few days or so its not bad.
They do have a rule of 21 days only but they relax it when it's not busy time for the fair grounds. They do have every vacate for a few weeks in August when they hold the big county fair.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguyfromcalg View Post
Read in the paper that the trucker who hit the Skagit River Bridge was from Alberta.
Or if the Washington State DOT, clerk that issued him the permit did the same.
Reminds me of the airline pilot a number of years back; who confused the conversion of Canadian gals to litres 4.54 to 1 , with the Kgs to lbs , 2.2 to 1. and ordered up less than 1/2 the amount of fuel required for his flight. Ended up doing a dead stick landing with a passenger jet at an abandoned air field . He got lucky . More to the story but his mistake was the final one in a stack that led to the near disaster.

Considering the amount of damage to the load on the truck , a lot of people can't believe the span came down.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #104

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
And not sure there's a cure for what got em that way or left em as such either. I'm sure if you asked there'd be plenty of air expended in the telling. As for the CG letting it sit there that way - do ya here banjo music at night. That's almost as unsightly as the trailer I saw with collapsed cardboard boxes bungie corded to tires to protect from UV. They do indeed walk among us.

Stick around this week-end, case of Budweiser, can of Ether, Zippo lighter, someone saying hold my beer and watch this [moderator edit], and those tires will be up and rollin!!!

Click the line at the top of the box if no arrow is present

Old 05-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #105

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Reminds me of the airline pilot a number of years back; who confused the conversion of Canadian gals to litres 4.54 to 1 , with the Kgs to lbs , 2.2 to 1. and ordered up less than 1/2 the amount of fuel required for his flight. Ended up doing a dead stick landing with a passenger jet at an abandoned air field . He got lucky . More to the story but his mistake was the final one in a stack that led to the near disaster.

Considering the amount of damage to the load on the truck , a lot of people can't believe the span came down.

Some officials were saying that the bridge was not signed properly for height. The fact he had a permit and the minimal damage to the load makes one wonder if it was a collection of errors that lead to that result. I read on another thread that that bridge had been stuck many times in the past few years, so was this one the final straw?
Years back I hauled some big machinery that required pilot cars and permits up the ying yang and your route was analyzed by the DOT and you had to adhere to it, including being in a certain lane to get maximum clearance on bridges and overpasses.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #106

Quote:
I'm an x truck driver and it his story. Let him tell it a 3rd time and it will be a school bus!

jack r
What happened to the 67 Eldorado?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguyfromcalg View Post
Not neary as costly as when they did that to the first Mars lander.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #108

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post

You too remember the Gimli Glider incident. The pilot did a tremendous job landing an unpowered airplane and Air Canada did a wondrous job of blaiming the pilot for their problems and promptly fired the guy. Only in Canada. The real source of the problem was the arrogant little idiot Frenchman who was piloting our government at that time.

A family friend was a pilot at that time and he too blamed the lack of proper training of the fuel crews for the incident.

Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #109

Not RV related but still on topic. I went to the supermarket yesterday for a few things, cashier rang them through. I handed her a 20 and she froze. Bag boy asked what's wrong? He gave me a twenty what do I do? She hadn't rung the transaction in the proper sequence so the machine could show correct change. Bag boy whipped out his trusty geewhiz hi-teh whatever phone while I asked the amount owing. $13.11. You owe me six dollars and eighty nine cents. Junior confirmed the figure, she gave me my change saying "I don't know how to do that". She seemed a bright and articulate young woman yet can't do grade five arithmetic. Or am I out of touch with the modern world?
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #110

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Some officials were saying that the bridge was not signed properly for height. The fact he had a permit and the minimal damage to the load makes one wonder if it was a collection of errors that lead to that result. I read on another thread that that bridge had been stuck many times in the past few years, so was this one the final straw?
Years back I hauled some big machinery that required pilot cars and permits up the ying yang and your route was analyzed by the DOT and you had to adhere to it, including being in a certain lane to get maximum clearance on bridges and overpasses.
The bridge was inspected in November and was found to be perfectly sound and properly signed.

The truck driver knocked that last span down, plain and simple. Only question now is whether his employer is going to cover the damages, or if we taxpayers are going to be stuck with it.

This taxpayer has her fingers crossed that the company will be held responsible just like BP was for their oil spill!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #111

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
Not RV related but still on topic. I went to the supermarket yesterday for a few things, cashier rang them through. I handed her a 20 and she froze. Bag boy asked what's wrong? He gave me a twenty what do I do? She hadn't rung the transaction in the proper sequence so the machine could show correct change. Bag boy whipped out his trusty geewhiz hi-teh whatever phone while I asked the amount owing. $13.11. You owe me six dollars and eighty nine cents. Junior confirmed the figure, she gave me my change saying "I don't know how to do that". She seemed a bright and articulate young woman yet can't do grade five arithmetic. Or am I out of touch with the modern world?
Here's one that is sorta RV related:
Person in her late 20's working in the office of the last RV park that we were at had a lady buy some stuff for $6.51. The lady handed her $7. The computer told her to give 49 cents but she thought it was wrong and only gave 9 cents back and told the lady the computer was messing up. She then called the 21 yr old female that had worked in the office for almost 4 yrs about the problem with the computer. The younger one was dumbfounded and asked her why she thought that and the older one said "well it's like time right? 60 mins to the hour and 60 cents to the dollar?"

Side note the younger one is now working at a different campground and is the assistant manager. The older one is the friend of the new manager at the campground and is now the head of marketing and still working in the office and trying to train new people.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
The bridge was inspected in November and was found to be perfectly sound and properly signed.

The truck driver knocked that last span down, plain and simple. Only question now is whether his employer is going to cover the damages, or if we taxpayers are going to be stuck with it.

This taxpayer has her fingers crossed that the company will be held responsible just like BP was for their oil spill!
That truck did not bring the bridge down. There was not enough damage to the high front of the trailer to bring the bridge down. Washington State is using this poor sap and his company as scapegoats.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote