Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They walk among us

Saw a Fleetwood Southwind; approx 36-7 ft. this past weekend while I was sitting outside our coach...kind of watching the rv show as many of the campers leave on Sunday.
Anyway; I noticed this coaches left rear wheel doing what looked like somebody using a hoola hoop....
Where there should have been a dually; was a single rear wheel and his wheel was gyrating in and out of the wheel well.

I wish I could have gotten a picture.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #2

You probably could have got your camera and walked around the next corner and got your picture.
I was sitting in a campground and an older P/U with a 5th wheel , pulled past with the frame of the 5er grinding away the top of the P/U box; I flagged him down , he said he thought the noise was because he was on a gravel road. 2 of the 4 bolts holding the pin box to the 5th frame had let go , and down the front of the trailer went. AND ! I couldn't talk him out of driving it back to town ( 7 miles ) for repairs.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #3

When I was a kid a buddy had a Nova with a type of chrome rim on it that was called something like a "universal rim". Basically it was a 5 bolt rim with the holes elongated so that you could fit on several different types of cars. Then they sold you oblong washers to fill in the extra space. Stupid idea really. It's a wonder nobody got killed. Anyway, one day I was riding with him when he took a corner in town at a slow speed and the wheel suddenly fell off. Sometimes these things happen. I'm sure the owners of the vehicles you quoted really didn't have any idea.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #4

I had a buddy one time with a half ton pickup. These type of pickups have a rear end that has the axles held on by a c-clip inside the differential and then there is only one bearing on the outside of the axle. Stupid idea really, (And by they are all still made that way today even on my pickup.) Anyway, he was going down the road and unbeknown to him his rear wheel bearing had begun to go out. When it did it started turning slower then the axle because the axle is only case hardened it soon wore through the axle far enough that the axle broke and the wheel fell off at 55 MPH. It dropped down on the brake housing and he quickly skidded to the side of the road. Really wasn't that hard to get that one up and going again. A new axle and brakes on the rear and away he went. You really don't have any indication sometimes of things like this happening until they do.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have seen a diesel dually pickup locally that runs around with only the outer rear wheels on it. The inside wheels are not there. Saving on tire wear?? It has a fifth wheel hitch, but I have never seen it towing.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Yes, "They walk among us" but the more serious problem is that they vote.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
^^^ Well, so much for what was an entertaining thread.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Let's keep ON TOPIC and friendly, folks. Thanks.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
And I hope no one posts about us driving along with our bat-wing extended.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post

Watching DVR of Duck Dynasty? ;-)

Last Fall, slinky got out of his cage, but was hanging on my the nozzel. Saw it in the rear camera, flaggellating my Wrangler. No damage except slinky. Lots of gawkers! Saw no film at 11.
Dang! It was a new slinky.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #11

I was driving down I-65 a few years ago behind an older model Ford F-150 pickup. I didn't really notice what happened immediately, but a shower of sparks started coming from the rear of the truck. Then BALUMP! One of the rear tires shot out from under the fender of the truck loose on the interstate. I slowed down a bit an avoided the tire. It rolled at a fairly high rate of speed until it hit the retaining wall, then bounced STRAIGHT into the air and into the oncoming interstate lanes. Just out of the corner of my eye I saw it make contact with the front end of a Volvo. That car folded back almost to the windshield from the impact.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post

I'm sure you were not at Ft. Sam Houston last week. I saw a 5'er departing and the batwing was up. I jumped in the car and headed him off. He thanked me. I told him he would have been fine until the first overpass in San Antonio. They are all low.

In his case, and I'm sure your case, it was not a case of stupid, just forgetfulness. Or was it?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I passed a guy towing a travel trailer once that had three bikes dragging on the blacktop behind it. The bike carrier had failed. I pulled up beside him and pointed toward the rear of him and he flipped me a bird. A half an hr later another truck came by him and his carnage on the side of the road and tooted a serves you right toot for me. We were on two way radio. Not only you can't fix stupid, you can't help it either.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
A Nominee for First Prize!

FF to about four minutes in here...

This guy's toad's lr wheel was locked up- not only did he burn the rubber off the wheel for miles, he kept on going even after he stopped and looked it over!

You can't cure stupid - RV drags Pickup 6 miles - YouTube