Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2010, 01:28 AM   #71

Thor Owners Club
Late on this, but I did not see this idea elsewhere in this thread.

My Dodge pickup (tow vehicle) for my 5'er has an alarm system that works with the remote start system. While the Mrs. and I are sleeping, we keep our key fobs near the bed. They have "panic" buttons on them that will sound the siren on the pickup. This will stir up a lot of unwanted attention if you ever hear anything in or around your coach that makes you uncomfortable.

Glad all worked out well with the OP in this thread, and thanks for all the good ideas!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2010, 06:58 AM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mark: Yeah, the vehicle fob alarm idea would be a good one...IF...ya wake up when someone enters!!! I SURE always thought I certainly awake....but....didn't happen!! (Maybe it's an old guy thing..don't know).
Anyway...I'm electing for some sort of interior alarming device that our cats cannot trigger inadvertently. Steve
Old 04-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #73

I spent a lot of time in south Louisiana, lotta really friendly people but lotta bad people too. Druggies. For those that don't want to carry a gun or use it first a good friend of my wife suggested wasp spray. Shoots a stream 20 feet, lots more than pepper spray or mace quick acting, and a lot easier to tell which way you are spraying. Those little mace spray bottles make it easy to spray yourself. Hurts like hell I imagine if you shoot em in the eyes. Drops a wasp right away. Also never heard of anyone dying from shooting themselves with wasp spray so you can keep it out in the open and not worry about kids or other people. We also have air guns, bats, bows and arrows and other more powerful defenses than these. I believe the law in Texas is you can't shoot em in the day but you can at night. Hope I never have to use em.
KC
Clonetrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #74
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Chickadee,
You only need to protect one point. The door. Use a magnetic switch hooked to an alarm. When they open the door, the alarm will go off. Now, if you train the cats to open the door, you have a different problem, but I do want to talk to you about training our dog.

Many times we sit around scratching our heads about security. In the simplest of cases one only needs to protect entrances and exits (which can also be an entrance). Even in a stick house, only a sophisticated movement sensor is needed, as once they are in they have to move. The sophistication would be so that animals would not trip it. But, I'd rather have it on the first means of entry.

I'm very fortunate that I have a 80 pound dog that will let us know if anyone comes to the steps. And, DW is a very light sleeper.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #75

I agree, the dog is a great idea. Ours barks at anyone coming to the door, even us. Nobody is going to sneak up on her.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:45 AM   #76

Wasp Spray

Wasp spray is very effective but I caution you that if sprayed in the face with it (including the kids) Urgent medical attention is needed as it will do great damage to the eyes. Use it on the bad guys, keep it up from the little ones.
TheClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedward1555 View Post
Well now that we are sure everyone is OK here. A little levity might be in order, seems most of you have dogs or in some case cats... so funny that when I was shopping for a motorhome a few weeks ago, not a single listing did NOT have the phrase "pet free".... hmmmm I doubt that... LOL
You misunderstood the phrase...What it meant was "a free pet with purchase of said motor home"....
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #78

Send a message via MSN to Sameeee
at dollar tree you can get window alarms, attach one peice to the window frame other piece to the window, when the window is opened a alarm goes off. have them on all our windows at home, they run on batterys
Sameeee is offline   Reply With Quote