RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #1

Things I've learned traveling in rural America

Most small towns feature a sign with what looks like an architect's rendering of an envelope to direct you to their post office. When you get there, the post office will be closed.

When you need gasoline, buy it where you find it. Suck up the cost of an extra couple of bucks. Buy gasoline when you need it.

Gasoline corollary: If a gas station can accommodate your 36 foot long RV and you can execute an exit from the available pumps, gas up your RV.

If you are looking for a quick stop for fast, good food, keep driving.

Any parking space you choose will have someone in an immediately adjacent space come to enter or exit their car. They will take forever to accomplish this, imprisoning you and/or your passenger in your vehicle as you are unable to open a door to exit.

After moving to the left to accommodate traffic merging from a freeway entrance, any further attempt to return to the right traffic lane will be blocked by drivers passing you on the right. They will then move to your lane directly in front of you and slow down.

When you really need cell phone service, it won't be available. If you kinda want cell phone service, but it's not all that important, it won't be available.

When you want Wi-Fi service, a network will be available, but the password you have been given will not work. If perchance the password works, the bandwidth available to you will deliver a white screen and a promise for more, shilled by an endlessly spinning daisy.

People you know will appreciate post cards. (See first lesson above)

There are so many hay bales dotting the landscape in the Midwest that they are visible from space.

These same images from space show no active human enterprise engaged in baling hay. Anywhere. In any direction.

Your credit cards will be hacked.

Your will want to wash your car. Forget it; you can't.

If you do find an opportunity to wash your car, upon exiting the car wash a dust devil will epoxy airborne dirt to your car's still damp finish. Your car will be indistinguishable from an undercover cop's tan 1979 Ford.

You cannot break a $100 dollar bill at a bank or a credit union. They have deemed it too risky.

Safeway will break your $100 bill.

Happy travels! Maybe I'll see you down the road.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #2

Love your post , but most of your comments fall under " Murphy's Law "

Old 07-07-2018, 06:54 PM   #3

I have lived in the rural America all my life, and yes there is not a truckstop and a five star restaurant on every corner, and most businesses are not open 24/7, but most of the people who live here like it here about the only real negative we see is arrogant city slickers who come through from time to time.
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:27 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I know this was tongue in cheek but we love traveling through "rural" America. We avoid the interstates where we can and travel the us and county highways.

There is nothing nicer than stopping in a local city or town park in Rural America for a picnic lunch.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:05 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I prefer living the rural life and travelling the secondary highways as well. The pace is much more relaxed and easier pull over and explore whatever peaks your interest.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:47 AM   #6

Suburban America can be summarized in two words: stoplight traffic.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #7

If you need help, someone will stop.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #8

I lived in Dallas TX for 30 years for employment purposes-the last 10 years downtown. I was based as a pilot in Los Angeles, New York City, Anchorage & Houston. I thank God every day now that I can wake up in rural America and NOT in the middle of a large city.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #9

Amen to the above...
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #10

We sold our s&b in Durango, CO (pop 15k) because it got to be too big of a city for us...
Old 07-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
So many things listed are true. However we still like raveling the back roads. It the only place you can see true Americana. That said I'm not going to drive on secondary roads for 1000 miles.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
so why do you rv then we love rural America
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:01 AM   #13

Nothing negative about the OP's post., just factual and humorous for the most part. Small towns, country stores and roadside diners are unfortunately becoming extinct. In their place is Walmart, fast food and dollar stores. Post Offices's in small towns are often reduced hours or have been consolidated with other Post Offices. Wifi will eventually be replaced by data plans.
I always travel the "blue highways". Started in 1977 by riding a bicycle 4200 miles (twice)across the country. 40 years later I still traveling the country just in a 23' motorhome now.
What hasn't changed is people. In my travels I have met people at their best and their worst and it's not always predictable. I have had folks holding bibles refuse to give me directions and I have had urban thugs help me change a tire. I have met people whose politics and or religion are 180 degrees opposite of mine but we have become lifelong friends.
When I travel or visit a strange place I go as an observer. It is not my place to change, criticize, or judge.
RickNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #14

On one of our cross country trips, my wife was surprised to discover the courtesy young boys show to older women. Often they would hold open the door for her and address her as 'Maam". This became prevalent as we crossed the Rockies and then died out as we got closer to the big cities in the East. Here (greater Seattle area)she often gets edged out as they race for the door and almost never has the door held open for her. She didn't know that nice manners were still a thing in rural America.

Tags
travel