Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Dump valves?

Surely drano will eat at the petroleum jelly or wax and hair conditioner residue... Won't it?[/QUOTE]

And after a good dose.......hope you knife blades(seals) on your dump valves still work good

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Putting Dawn dish liquid will help cut grease and oil. Put a cup in the tank, fill with water and drive your favorite twisting road. It also helps to occasionally put Calgon Water Softener in the tanks to help clean sensors and sides of the tank. I'm surprised that because it was heavily advertised on TV made it seem O.K. Many harmful things are advertised, many 'solutions' are worse than the original problem. Too bad Common Sense isn't Common.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One look and feel of those wet wipes tells you not to flush them. As far as body wash and hair conditioner…….I don't believe it for one minute. A woman that doesn't use conditioner is a rare bird. Three girls in all our rv's and gallons of conditioner and body wash and never a problem. Fat from foods is more likely the culprit. Dawn dish soap is the solution.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Was in the Septic business for years so it is a hanging offense to even bring wet wipes into my MH.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You know,, When I read this thread title it reminds me of a Game Show ad (Family Feud?)

Comic: What would be the worst thing you could drop in your toilet?
Contestent: YOUR TEETH.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:19 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
I'm not even going to ask DW, so is there anything besides a divorce attorney that will get conditioner out of the gray tank?
Dawn is a good thing but I ALWAYS use white vinegar in black tanks and grey water. IO have used 2 gallons at a time and hot water if available andf let it sit overnight and if possible take a 'slosh run' looking for a few bumps and holes to make the 'slosh' better, just around a few blocks... I do this usually at the end of the year and then flush with fresh water. Vinegar is a natural disinfectant and is acid enough to clean scum from the sides of the tanks, it removes all soap too so use it in your hair for real shine and you won;t need much conditioner (I hardly use it and have little problem with fly away...) Keeps scalp clear and clean so you don't have to wash hair as often, I find conditioner makes it greasy and oily .. sorry, I diverse, my vote is for white vinegar all the way,,
Old 01-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Was in the Septic business for years so it is a hanging offense to even bring wet wipes into my MH.

Same here !
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Back when we had the S&B My DW's Brother stayed with us for awhile. He would throw those down the toilet also.
We were on Septic, house only two years old. Yep 350.00 later to get the septic pumped. We do use but they go into the trash.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In many Boats there is a one sentence sign. It needs no explanation.

If you haven't eaten it, don't even think about putting it in the HEAD (toilet).

safe flushing .. ed
Old 01-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #24
def

Send a message via Yahoo to def
SuperClean will remove any grease, solids or odor causing material you put in your tanks
Old 01-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dishwasher soap Tabs will clean the hardest oils. Rise after to clean the rubber seals before closing gate valves.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Putting Dawn dish liquid will help cut grease and oil. Put a cup in the tank, fill with water and drive your favorite twisting road. It also helps to occasionally put Calgon Water Softener in the tanks to help clean sensors and sides of the tank. I'm surprised that because it was heavily advertised on TV made it seem O.K. Many harmful things are advertised, many 'solutions' are worse than the original problem. Too bad Common Sense isn't Common.
Are you referring to Drano and will palehorse please educate me rather than hoping my system still works..I'm a person who likes to understand why.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
I was referring to the idea that because it was advertised on TV, it must be true....or O.K. Advertisement's goal is to sell something. If they have to create a problem to sell, well, you got trouble my friend. (Music Man reference)

Drano is lye, (sodium hydroxide) salt, and little bits of aluminum. The lye and aluminum react and make hydrogen gas and heat. The caustic lye solution is agitated by the heat and gases to help unclog a drain. A black tank is much larger than a sink drain and the heat and churning does nothing for the soap and scum in the tank. By the way, pioneers made soap my mixing lye and animal fats and grease, along with a little glycerin. Lotions have glycerin, fats and grease from our waste and washing, adding the Drano makes more soap!! In addition, the particles of aluminum do a job on the sliding seal in the gate valve. I would not recommend Drano in an RV system.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
A HA, the other 1/2 uses those Damm things in the bathroom @ the S&B
I have been having a problem the last week and I bet thats what happened they are getting thrown down the Toyte. Damm. I was just looking at the Toliet Bowl Auger @ HD yesterday but they want $35.00 for it, I guess alot cheapier than having the Pro's coming knocking.

tb

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank