Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
At Thom's mom and dad's old house they swore by using RidX and when it did plug up they swore it cause they forgot to use it or did not use enough. When the system plugged up was when his sister and her husband would come down to visit ..... yep condoms was the problem. He never told his mom and dad the problem and just let them continue thinking it was something else ..... do you really want to talk about that with your mom and dad? and how to then explain to your sister not to flush them down the toilet? So nothing was said and they don't have to worry about a septic tank where they live now.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Never tryed them......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I guess some people must like dealing with LOTS of skid marks if not using baby wipes.

Heck, at my age, even after using baby wipes I still end up with skid marks everywhere. That's just another part of getting old I guess.

People have the right to use whatever works for them. I only share what works for me and after living in my coach for well over 10 years without having any problems with my black tank ever, I will continue to do what works for me.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I guess I am still old fashion........Wash cloth and soap.......then off to the washing machine with the wash cloth No skid marks
I can say, I have never tried wet wipes for this cleaning job
Do they break down like paper? or can you see them go shooting down the slinkie

Old 07-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
10 years without having any problems with my black tank ever, I will continue to do what works for me.
What works for you can cause considerable damage to a park's septic system.

Bruce
Old 07-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #46

Gulf Streamers Club
Has anyone put a wet wipe in a jar of water and shook it? That's the test to see if toilet paper is safe for the black tank. I think a wet wipe would fail the test.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Has anyone put a wet wipe in a jar of water and shook it? That's the test to see if toilet paper is safe for the black tank. I think a wet wipe would fail the test.
Does not sound to good for flushing them, bad on sewage plants and sewage systems.......
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;...z_pc_my_portal

http://www.superterry.com/are-wet-wipes-flushable/
Old 07-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Well, after considerable research on the Internet, everyone is correct in that the most popular brands of baby wipes do NOT recommend disposing of them in a toilet.

So with that new information I will be making some changes.

I generally do a lot of research prior to purchasing a product but this one got passed me.

My apologies.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
And now the most trusted info. from "consumers reports"
with a video to prove their test........

Are flushable wipes flushable? - Consumer Reports Video Hub
I was thinking the wipes might be easier than the old fashion wash cloth.......
Wash cloth it will still be.......
No need for a Apology.........for learning something Richard......if so most would be saying it all the time on here,,, including me!
Old 07-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #50

I am a plumber -- I own a plumbing service company. I can tell you that 90% of the time we have a sewer blockage call, we pull back wipes. Most of my business is in houses that are forty to sixty years old, so those sewers aren't in the best shape to begin with -- roots, splits, separated hubs, etc., so when a wipe goes down it hangs up on these things and stays there, collecting more stuff as it flows down, eventually causing a stoppage. This is when I am called. Even the newer houses with PVC and ABS sewers have problems with wipes, but not as often. Add any sort of ejector pump into the equation and you double your trouble.

Wipes are bad for you, but good for me.

Bruce
Old 07-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #51

Wife and I spent winter on Sunshine Key. Not a week went by where somewhere on our quarter of the 250+ space RV park the maintenance guys or a contractor were clearing wipes out of the sewer pipes. Those things are a curse. Dampened TP is a suitable alternative. Daily Metamucil dosage will ensure there won't be a lot of exit debris to clear. Handy advice for the mature audience.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
It will break down about the same time as all the plastic in the world's landfills decomposes.

Glenn
Old 07-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #53

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
It will break down about the same time as all the plastic in the world's landfills decomposes.

Glenn
palehorse89 shared the ultimate link on this, even Consumer Reports couldn't break one down!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #54

Really? We have to tell people, after all these MANY years, not to put any products down their toilets other than RV toilet paper? If you do such things, I guess you deserve to learn the lesson the hard way. Oh, please refrain from flushing your diapers, paper towels, feminine products, cutlery and power hand tools too.

Someone once told me that portland cement works to clean out tanks really well - you just have to open the valve before it hardens up!

I spit out my coffee on the post where visitors used SO MANY condoms they plugged up a septic tank! That's some funny stuff, and a good question of how many does it take? Kinda like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop! Three?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I spit out my coffee on the post where visitors used SO MANY condoms they plugged up a septic tank! That's some funny stuff, and a good question of how many does it take? Kinda like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop! Three?

It wasn't a lot by the way ..... It may have been 2 at the most, probably just one thou knowing Thom's sister Just illustrating that it really doesn't take much to stop up a septic tank and that's what most of us dump into whether we know it or not.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #56

I thought maybe we'd get some volunteer's to conduct an experiment.

Tags
tank