Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2016, 08:42 PM   #15

Thanks again everyone. I am not thinking of big ticket items, just fun gadgets and smaller items for Christmas gifts, birthday gifts, etc. I like the idea of tools but DH has most of what he needs. I may look for something to organize them. I have a RV GPS on my list and we can use that this winter when we take our travel trailer to Florida. I'm also thinking about a Go-Pro or some similar camera. Those are things we can use no matter what happens. I think I might not have explained what I was looking for as clearly as I should have. Any other ideas along those lines? I will read your suggestions again and think about them. Have a good day.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 05:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrebele View Post
Thanks again everyone. I am not thinking of big ticket items, just fun gadgets and smaller items for Christmas gifts, birthday gifts, etc. I like the idea of tools but DH has most of what he needs. I may look for something to organize them. I have a RV GPS on my list and we can use that this winter when we take our travel trailer to Florida. I'm also thinking about a Go-Pro or some similar camera. Those are things we can use no matter what happens. I think I might not have explained what I was looking for as clearly as I should have. Any other ideas along those lines? I will read your suggestions again and think about them. Have a good day.

You should check out this thread. MANY items on this list ! I personally added lots of cool gadgets to this list, pictures included !

Top 10 items you should carry in a new RV

Top 10 items you should carry in a new RV.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:22 AM   #17

Quote:

Dash Cam!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:33 AM   #18

Quote:
DH and I will eventually go fulltime for at least 2 years. Right now we are just planning. We are looking at about a 34 ft 5er and a 1 ton diesel truck. We're probably a good year out from the beginning of our adventure.
As we wait, I was thinking of beginning to buy some things that we might like to have when we start. I owe DH a birthday gift and then the holidays are also a good time for RVing gifts to each other. I'm looking for an RV GPS but haven't settled on which one yet. I would love to hear other gift ideas. These would be extras - things that are wants vs. must haves. They also need to be things that could be helpful no matter what RV we buy. Any good ideas? Not looking for everyday things like dishes, just fun gadgets and devices.
Here's a partial list:
Cost of Going Full Time - $75,615+
Old 07-13-2016, 06:45 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
When we purchased our coach - we made a decision to outfit the coach so that it "stands alone" and doesn't require that us to move stuff back and forth between the house and the coach. The coach has it's own compliment of linens, towel, pillows, cookware, plates, bowls, serving pieces, knives, cutlery, kitchen appliances, cleaning tools (broom, dustpan, mop, etc.). All the "patio furnishings" (folding chairs, outdoor table, BBQ grill, grill stand, etc.) were bought specifically for the coach - and "live in the coach basement". I even went to far as purchasing tools specifically for the coach so that I don't have to constantly move tools back and forth.
Same here. Completely outfitted. We even have a weeks worth of clothes that are kept in the RV, along with jackets, hats, storm gear, etc. and of course, it's own Whirley Pop Popcorn Popper. For years we spent hours (or days) packing and unpacking. Now all we do is add the perishable food we are taking.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:22 AM   #20

This is a smaller ticket item that my DH really likes. It especially handy when crawling on the roof or under our rig.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:31 AM   #21

Carolina Campers
Quote:
We are looking at about a 34 ft 5er and a 1 ton diesel truck. I'm looking for an RV GPS but haven't settled on which one yet. I would love to hear other gift ideas.
Almost ever new vehicle on the market AND most of the newer USED vehicles already have a GPS in them. May need updating but it's there. You don't really need a separate RV GPS. You can use web sites like the Good Sam Trip planner to check your route for bridge heights.

The ONLY reason we got an RV GPS is our 2001 Class A didn't have one installed. When we pulled our TT, we used the one in the dash of the truck that came with the truck.
southernlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #22

My daughter's husband loves to cook outside and basically has a whole outside set up including gas freestanding burners, gas wok, Turkey fryer and pop up awnings. Not everyone goes that elaborate but it's something to consider if it interests you.

If you don't have things like ice chests, lawn chairs (zero gravity chairs are awesome), outdoor rugs, outdoor lanterns, plastic table cloths for picnic tables, corelle dishes, plastic drink ware, portable icemaker...the list is endless. We like portable handheld radios to help back into campsites. We also use them if my husband goes walking (he has heart issues) or I go for a bike ride.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:33 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
Same here. Completely outfitted. We even have a weeks worth of clothes that are kept in the RV, along with jackets, hats, storm gear, etc. and of course, it's own Whirley Pop Popcorn Popper. For years we spent hours (or days) packing and unpacking. Now all we do is add the perishable food we are taking.
We haven't gone so far as keeping a "2nd wardrobe" ... yet. We keep some stuff (slippers, boots, "work" jackets, a few t shirts, etc.) - but still need to pack most of whatever clothes we plan to take. We each have a plastic laundry basket that we use for that. Clothes going with us get loaded into our laundry basket and carried out to the coach where they're immediately transferred into "our" drawers and the baskets get put into their spot on the shelves in the rear wardrobe closet where they serve as hampers as things get dirty. At the end of the trip - it's the same thing in reverse. One trip between the house and the coach takes care of clothes.

During "travel season" - we try to keep reasonably stocked pantry of canned goods and dry food as well. Refrigerated staples (mustard, catchup, jam, butter, sauces, etc.) "live" in small plastic trays that move between the fridge in the coach and the "spare" fridge in the basement. One trip from between house and coach takes care of all that stuff. So that we're basically adding the perishables when it's time to go.

So far we've done a pretty good job of keeping "house stuff" and "coach stuff" separate. Seems like there's usually a few items of "coach stuff" that ends up making it's way into the house at the end of a trip (a container or two of leftovers, bedding, towels and throw rugs that need washing, etc.). We've gotten in the habit of washing anything that came in at the end of a trip within a couple of days of arriving home - and keeping it all together once it's clean - and usually make a trip up to the storage lot to return it to their places in the coach within a week or so.

Outfitting the coach to be as "stand alone" from the house has definitely made life a lot easier - and avoided a whole bunch of those "Hey, did you pack the ____" conversations!
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:18 PM   #24

Carolina Campers
Quote:
We haven't gone so far as keeping a "2nd wardrobe" ... yet. We keep some stuff (slippers, boots, "work" jackets, a few t shirts, etc.) - but still need to pack most of whatever clothes we plan to take. We each have a plastic laundry basket that we use for that. Clothes going with us get loaded into our laundry basket and carried out to the coach where they're immediately transferred into "our" drawers and the baskets get put into their spot on the shelves in the rear wardrobe closet where they serve as hampers as things get dirty. At the end of the trip - it's the same thing in reverse. One trip between the house and the coach takes care of clothes.

During "travel season" - we try to keep reasonably stocked pantry of canned goods and dry food as well. Refrigerated staples (mustard, catchup, jam, butter, sauces, etc.) "live" in small plastic trays that move between the fridge in the coach and the "spare" fridge in the basement. One trip from between house and coach takes care of all that stuff. So that we're basically adding the perishables when it's time to go.

So far we've done a pretty good job of keeping "house stuff" and "coach stuff" separate. Seems like there's usually a few items of "coach stuff" that ends up making it's way into the house at the end of a trip (a container or two of leftovers, bedding, towels and throw rugs that need washing, etc.). We've gotten in the habit of washing anything that came in at the end of a trip within a couple of days of arriving home - and keeping it all together once it's clean - and usually make a trip up to the storage lot to return it to their places in the coach within a week or so.

Outfitting the coach to be as "stand alone" from the house has definitely made life a lot easier - and avoided a whole bunch of those "Hey, did you pack the ____" conversations!
We haven't done the second wardrobe either.

And we do the same thing. Pack it in the laundry basket, take it out to the coach and unpack. That leaves the laundry basket for the dirty clothes that come back home. Since I do wait til we get home to do all the laundry (as of now), I do have a small pile of towels, and bed sheets that have to go back to the coach after laundry is done.
southernlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:23 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Personally - I'd start making a list of the things you think your going to need/want and researching potential sources and prices for each item. Your objective of this exercise is to get a good understanding of what the total cost to outfit your rig will be. Trust me when I tell you to expect some sticker shock when you've completed your list and have priced everything out.

When we purchased our coach - we made a decision to outfit the coach so that it "stands alone" and doesn't require that us to move stuff back and forth between the house and the coach. The coach has it's own compliment of linens, towel, pillows, cookware, plates, bowls, serving pieces, knives, cutlery, kitchen appliances, cleaning tools (broom, dustpan, mop, etc.). All the "patio furnishings" (folding chairs, outdoor table, BBQ grill, grill stand, etc.) were bought specifically for the coach - and "live in the coach basement". I even went to far as purchasing tools specifically for the coach so that I don't have to constantly move tools back and forth. In the end - the cost to outfit it was close to $4K.

Make your list ... figure out what your $$$ number will be. Rather than start buying stuff before you have your rig - start putting the money you'll need off to side. You may find you need to prioritize your purchases to make your budget work. (We did .... there was the gotta have stuff, the should have items ... and finally, the like to have items. We're still working on a couple of the like to have items.)

The time to go on the spending spree is after you have your rig. As others have said - you'll also know exactly what came with your new rig (which will let you avoid duplicates). It's also when you'll know exactly what sort of storage space you're working with (trust me - that will be important as you start purchasing things!) You'll also know what colors you're working with (apparently that's important to the DW types). You're downsizing ... and moving into a home where space is limited. You're going to be surprised at how much energy you'll be putting into shopping to find things that are just the right size to fit into the unique spaces you plan to store them in your new rig - and you can't do any of that right until you know what space you have to work with.

Think about what you think you need/want - and make your list. Figure out where you'll buy what you think you need/want .... but put the money in your piggy bank. The time to go on the spending spree is after you buy your rig.
I must say we did the very same thing but with our TT. We already have duplicates of bedding, dishware, some towels and cutlery in our DP. At least I was able to stop there (for now). Problem is, this becomes an easy thing to do as well as forgetting everything you actually have in the coach!
HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:48 PM   #26

It might be obvious but if you are going full-time, stop buying anything that will not be used on the road. It will be hard enough to get rid of stuff you have already had, without adding anything for the time being.

We documented our Steps to Full-Timing
and how almost everything we bought in the beginning was changed out in the first year in Full-Time Life Style

Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase