Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #1

Things you can buy before you actually purchase an RV

DH and I will eventually go fulltime for at least 2 years. Right now we are just planning. We are looking at about a 34 ft 5er and a 1 ton diesel truck. We're probably a good year out from the beginning of our adventure.
As we wait, I was thinking of beginning to buy some things that we might like to have when we start. I owe DH a birthday gift and then the holidays are also a good time for RVing gifts to each other. I'm looking for an RV GPS but haven't settled on which one yet. I would love to hear other gift ideas. These would be extras - things that are wants vs. must haves. They also need to be things that could be helpful no matter what RV we buy. Any good ideas? Not looking for everyday things like dishes, just fun gadgets and devices.
mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 05:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrebele View Post
DH and I will eventually go fulltime for at least 2 years. Right now we are just planning. We are looking at about a 34 ft 5er and a 1 ton diesel truck. We're probably a good year out from the beginning of our adventure.
As we wait, I was thinking of beginning to buy some things that we might like to have when we start. I owe DH a birthday gift and then the holidays are also a good time for RVing gifts to each other. I'm looking for an RV GPS but haven't settled on which one yet. I would love to hear other gift ideas. These would be extras - things that are wants vs. must haves. They also need to be things that could be helpful no matter what RV we buy. Any good ideas? Not looking for everyday things like dishes, just fun gadgets and devices.
The problem with that is that you don't know for sure what will come with your new (to you) fiver. For instance we purchased out coach used, and the previous owners were getting out of RV'ing altogether due to age. They let absolutely EVERYTHING that was coach or RVing specific stay with the coach! Since we were upgrading from a travel trailer, we ended up having lots of extra's!

Best of luck in your search, and enjoy the ride!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oil Stock. lol
A dash cam or even a Dig Cam for all those memories you will collect.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #4

Hit the Rhod: I see your point. Plans right now are for a new truck and 5er so we'll need everything.

RGV Texan: Used to have oil stock (Enron) but we sold it at just the right time. I like the idea of a dash cam. I watch lots of vlogs on fulltiming and want to set something like that up for family and friends to follow. I'm not sure exactly what we'll need but I'll do some research on that. A dash cam might make a great gift. Thanks.
mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #5
Community Moderator

You should check out this thread. MANY items on this list !

Top 10 items you should carry in a new RV

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226080
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have been doing the same thing for months and will be finally taking delivery soon. My list:

CB radio (can be a life saver)
Dash cam
Refrigerator/freezer remote temperature display
12 volt outlet splitters
30/50 & 15/30 dogbone adapters
Tire pressure monitors
Patio rug
Nordicware plates/saucers/bowls
Ratchet tiedown straps
Searchlight
Electric pizza oven
Portable gas grill
Whirley Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper
Propane heater
White water hose
External shower extension hose & bracket
Air compressor
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:23 PM   #7

Perhaps a really nice tool set in a molded plastic case. My daughter got me one from Home Depot and it's got everything I need to do some serious repairs while not being too heavy or large. It's also handy around the house too.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:22 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A big Fire Extinguisher for the bed room.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:40 PM   #9

Looking at the previous responses you've gotten so far most are excellent.

I'd like to add a word of caution as you add to your wish list, only buy now, what you can use now.

I say this from experience, we have so much stuff now packed into our coach, and in storage, we don't need, we don't use, It's like we could open our own store.

Most of these items are new and never used, anticipating on a need that changed mid stream long ago.

It took DW and I too long to recognize what was happening, and getting rid of it is much harder than it was to accumulate it.

We changed units three times in four years, buying this and that for each one.

Now we are on our last purchase, a DP and not much of the items we purchased for the trailers are needed now.

Sorry for the rambling, your question brought back bad memories,LOL
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:54 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Personally - I'd start making a list of the things you think your going to need/want and researching potential sources and prices for each item. Your objective of this exercise is to get a good understanding of what the total cost to outfit your rig will be. Trust me when I tell you to expect some sticker shock when you've completed your list and have priced everything out.

When we purchased our coach - we made a decision to outfit the coach so that it "stands alone" and doesn't require that us to move stuff back and forth between the house and the coach. The coach has it's own compliment of linens, towel, pillows, cookware, plates, bowls, serving pieces, knives, cutlery, kitchen appliances, cleaning tools (broom, dustpan, mop, etc.). All the "patio furnishings" (folding chairs, outdoor table, BBQ grill, grill stand, etc.) were bought specifically for the coach - and "live in the coach basement". I even went to far as purchasing tools specifically for the coach so that I don't have to constantly move tools back and forth. In the end - the cost to outfit it was close to $4K.

Make your list ... figure out what your $$$ number will be. Rather than start buying stuff before you have your rig - start putting the money you'll need off to side. You may find you need to prioritize your purchases to make your budget work. (We did .... there was the gotta have stuff, the should have items ... and finally, the like to have items. We're still working on a couple of the like to have items.)

The time to go on the spending spree is after you have your rig. As others have said - you'll also know exactly what came with your new rig (which will let you avoid duplicates). It's also when you'll know exactly what sort of storage space you're working with (trust me - that will be important as you start purchasing things!) You'll also know what colors you're working with (apparently that's important to the DW types). You're downsizing ... and moving into a home where space is limited. You're going to be surprised at how much energy you'll be putting into shopping to find things that are just the right size to fit into the unique spaces you plan to store them in your new rig - and you can't do any of that right until you know what space you have to work with.

Think about what you think you need/want - and make your list. Figure out where you'll buy what you think you need/want .... but put the money in your piggy bank. The time to go on the spending spree is after you buy your rig.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
A big Fire Extinguisher for the bed room.
What are you doing in the bedroom that could start a fire?
Old 07-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
I got some really good tips from this guy
Old 07-12-2016, 06:42 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Personally, I wouldn't buy anything until your RV is on order or is delivered. Anything can happen and your plans could change overnight. Not to cast a shadow on your plans, but life changes, especially health.

Some things may have warranties that expire before you even get to use them and find out they don't work.

Have fun making a list, checking prices, but don't buy any big ticket items until you own the RV.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
What are you doing in the bedroom that could start a fire?
It's not what you do in the Bedroom, you have to worry about! It's what goes on with the No-Cold in the Kitchen , you need to think about. That front door can seem miles away.

Tags
purchase