Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
thinking of trading up

I have heard through the ages that buying a "new" used coach is a good idea because the depreciation has depreciated and one can get a much better deal than new. What does everyone think about that concept?
jamesvinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #2

I bought my 2007 DP (with 2200 miles on the clock) for $125,000 under the original sale price.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Would never buy brand new. Buying used gets more rv for the buck and most if not all of the manufactured problems are already fixed. Jmho....
Old 07-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #4

If no one purchased a new motorhome, there would be no used motorhomes and therefore, no manufacturers. Hmmmmm.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesvinton View Post
I have heard through the ages that buying a "new" used coach is a good idea because the depreciation has depreciated and one can get a much better deal than new. What does everyone think about that concept?
It can be a good deal, or you could be buying someone's "lemon".
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #6

Or, you could buy a brand new lemon.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #7

They all depreciate, new ones a little more the first few years. However, MH are not investments there entertainment expenses (unless your full time in which there a depreciating mobile home).
You'll find lots of view points on this subject. Some will say they will never buy new and that there are always big problems with new. Others will say just the opposite, why buy some one else's problems, there getting rid of of it for a reason. Both have some level of validity.
I can only tell you why I bought new. I knew very little about MHs and I wanted the security of a warranty on new. Not just the chassis and coach but all the appliances and special equipment that make up a very complicated rolling residence. In addition, new typically has newer technology and more amenities built in as standard.
We have had two new MH and once the punch lists were completed at the dealer we have had very few problems. You are going to spend a lot of money and should get exactly what you want. If there is a used "just what I always wanted" then great, if not consider new.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #8

Or you buy a gently used rig and if you feel you need the security of a warranty you purchase (not from the dealer) an extended warranty from some place like Wholesale Warranties.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
Or you buy a gently used rig and if you feel you need the security of a warranty you purchase (not from the dealer) an extended warranty from some place like Wholesale Warranties.
After I investigated Wholesalewarranties.com and discovered the complaints listed at the BBB, I bought one elsewhere.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
One needs to take into consideration the price paid for the coach new. Figure 25 to 30% off MSRP would be a good ballpark. From there you could approximate what one should pay for the coach a year or three old. An example might be if the coach MSRP was $400K. The original buyer paid around $300K. A year or three old the coach may now be worth $150K to $250K depending on condition.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I bought new and it was the best "mistake" I ever made.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We have bought new each time (three times). We are happy and not concerned with the depreciation. The key point is to buy the features that you want.
If you buy new be sure to negotiate the price. Look for some guidelines on this site. I agree that it is likely you will be able to get somewhere around 20-30% off MSRP and/or have some additional desired features like extra solar panel installed for free to sweeten and move the deal along.
Irene
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #13

I've never bought new, mostly because it was out of my range, but being patience I've come across really good coaches 3 times now. I'm mechanically inclined and a Jack of all Trades , master of none, so I know who/how/why to ask about a coaches condition etc. Not everyone is in the same boat so I can see it can go both ways....now if I was to win the Powerball !
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #14

First three were used and then went to the local RV show 2 years ago to just "look" around. Found a super deal on a nice Grey Wolf, craiglisted mine and sold it in two weeks. Due to hail damage on the new after 3 months we moved up to a bigger unit, 2012 leftover, and got a good deal, same dealer. Went to the past RV show and they were throwing out some awful good deals. Especially on the last day. Numbers game. If you can find a good used one at a good price go for it. Only if you like it, though. Our latest one is about as close to exactly what we wanted as possible. As one poster stated, now if I win the lottery............