Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #1

This is some Amityville Horror stuff right here!

Every year it's a new plague. First, ants, second, wasps, third, ladybugs, and fourth?

Flies! I run a clean ship. The bad smell is finally gone, and my place most certainly doesn't smell of garbage, so what could be bringing in these huge flies? I can't use the bathroom now!

The picture doesn't show how bad. The shower is currently occupied by over a few hundred. I wish I were kidding, I washed half that down the drain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160509_183736.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	126587  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 10:04 PM   #2

They're laying eggs somewhere (possibly in the shower drain?). I would Shop-Vac those buggers as often as possible. Good ol' fly paper?

Good luck! #ihateflies

2010 Winnebago Aspect 28B

Old 05-09-2016, 10:11 PM   #3
KIX

Are you leaving either black or gray drain valves open while connected to shore sewer?
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:10 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would let one of those bombs go in there and fumigate the whole thing. Then let it air out for a day or two afterwards. Last year in my coach, I saw what I thought was a roach, after consulting with an exterminator I found out it wasnt. If I had an infestation like that, I would have to trade it in. Just one of those things I cant deal with.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:11 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are they regular house flies, green flies or what? I was in a model house once that had an infestation of flies coming out of the carpet.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:46 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
There is a kind of fly that lives in insulation.

They hatch and come out in the spring. We had them in an attic space that was drywalled and had cellulose insulation. We put on a dormer and replaced everything down to bare studs, wrapped the house in tyvek and the folding board and resided with vinyl. Poly vapor barrier and new drywall. That ended the fly problem. How it did it I am not sure. We get a few flys in our coach that seem to come from inside no one saw it come in with them but they show up like majic. We have strategically positioned fly swatters and know how to use them. Once while tent camping on a dairy farm we came back from a walk and our tent looked funny not blue anymore. When we got to it it was completely covered with flys. So could the flys be comming from some where else and getting in through a dry drain trap or roof vent? my sanitary vents do not have a bug screen just a rain cap. Each trap at each device should have a water seal which would prevent insects from comming up through the drains. I add glycol for winter storage but am not sure if it would evaporate, some RV antifreeze is alcohal so that might evaporate or maybe draw in BarFlys Sorry I could not resist. A professional pest management company would probably be helpful. Save a dead fly to show them what you have in case they are not present.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:31 AM   #7

Rocky Mountain Mould flies.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:46 AM   #8

From what I can find online (big, bee sized, slow flying black house fly like) they seem to be cluster flies but they're only supposed to be a problem in fall! It's may. They came out suddenly on Sunday and seem Never ending since.

Yeah to combat the odors I had to hammer the valves shut and the smell has been gone for over a week.

I'd release a bomb but I have pets and have nowhere else to place them during the duration (my trailer is my home) and I doubt you want dogs in any place a bug bomb is relessed. Even humans are supposed to stay out 24 hours.

I suppose it's a bug zapper or fly paper. I have been washing them down the drain with the shower head since they are so slow and don't care apparently.

They seem to be in love with the automated shower light that comes on shortly after I get home. I'll get a picture tonight when they're buzzing in there to really give you a glimpse. But I've set it to stay off until 7 to limit them. There is a bath fan next to that, and since the light normally comes on at 4 PM, they might actually be coming in through the fan towards the light.

They actually look like large bluebottle flies or blowflies, but they're jet black, the size of a bee, and fly slowly. Easy to kill but there's hundreds
Old 05-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #9

If they're that slow do you have a vacuum with a long hose to just suck them up. You'll have to keep doing it for a while but like the ladybug-looking beetles that can get into RVs in some states, they're seasonal and once gone that's it.

You have got to have some opening that they're entering. Did you look on the roof and edge to see if any flies are up there at a opening? Around the window frames?

I'd forego the shower light that automatically comes on. Leave it off and keep the vent fan closed except for the brief time you may want it open during showering.

Have you talked to neighbors? Are they having the same problem?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #10

No haven't talked to tbem. Right now the campground is full of pipeline workers and they're not exactly the social type. One didn't take too kindly to me asking politely that he not fire up his loud diesel at 4 AM and leave it idling until 6.

My vacuum is just a bagless Eureka with a hose but ladybugs could crawl right out of that and I worried about flies making maggots inside the canister
Old 05-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #11

What did you mean by "the bad smell is finally gone"? Did you have a prior issue where something died in your MH, or something was left in there that rotted. If so that could still be the source of the flies. It doesn't take much for them to nest/lay eggs and keep coming back.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:39 PM   #12

Here's a few in the kitchen area, if it helps identify them. They're spreading to the living area.

The bad smell was another thread. Since the pipeline workers moved in I've been getting their odors from when they dump their tanks, this was a few weeks ago. It made my place smell like something large had died and had ammonia odors too. The flies didn't come until last Sunday. I checked, nothing has died in the camper, I've even pulled walls and ceiling panels to verify. Since they appear to be light attracted, and because most were clustered in the shower where a light was on, and a fan vent I figured they were getting in from there seeing as a dusk you can seen the light from the dome up top, so I think they're coming in for shelter, it's been very rainy and humid lately

There are so many in the bathroom area you can't use it. It will take a bug zapper to get rid of them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160510_173445.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	126663  
Old 05-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #13
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltooledup View Post
......................... Each trap at each device should have a water seal which would prevent insects from comming up through the drains. .................
There are flies that live in the sewage system in some CGs. They travel up a connected sewage drain hose and into your holding tank(s). When you flush the toilet you lose the water seal. And that's how the flies can get into your coach.

I don't know if this is the fly problem the OP has or not.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #14

Interesting. Well I think it helped switching the light on later at night, zero flies in the bathroom, a few dozen in the kitchen window area, which I easily dispatched, but it does seem they might have been coming in via the bath fan. There were a dozen resting on the vent and they flew in the living area, some flew out a window others buzzed around slowly until I got rid of them.

I did more research, they ARE cluster flies, but the unusual part, is that I shouldn't be seeing them until fall at the earliest. The weather has been unusually cool here for May so perhaps they 'bugged' out and thought it was fall and retreated here for warmth?