Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
This is strange

Well Friday was my last day of work,i thought retirement would never get here,well Saturday comes along and it was just like normal,the wife and I were off on weekends,Sunday,same way.But then when Monday rolled around and she had to get up and go to work that's when it hit me.I felt really weird all day like I was playing hookie from work or something,i tried staying busy all day but it didn't help and today was worse,how long will this last.

Stanley & Barbara
2002 38" Monaco Knight Dp
stan5711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
How long?
Well, I retired in 1999, but went back to work to cure the boredom!

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
Do not go back to work. It will surprise you how much will fill in your days as you get use to retirement. My wife got a gift for a good female friend that stated the following; RETIREMENT IS TWICE OF MUCH HUSBAND, WITH HALF THE MONEY. Enjoy your buddies, fix up the coach, plan where to go. See the USA(after she retires). Bet you will be more busy then you ever thought you would be.
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #4
In a few months the " I got to go to work " wears off.

I watched both of my older brothers go into a slump the first year and have recently bounced back and are working on fun projects and getting on with life.

I went out on an "on the job" injury in 06, so I filled my days with doctors, surgery and PT visits. By the time I was ok to return to work, I was eligible to retire and I did. I never had time to miss working.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
When I retired 2 years ago my DW was already retired. Been working on the Honey Do list since. ( which includes traveling in our rig ). Now I wonder when I had time to work for a living. 😎

2007 Sightseer 35j
Bill: 2007 Sightseer 35J Ford V10
wmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:38 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
It was about a month for me before I felt retired and not just 'off work'. Then I gained about 10 lbs before I knew it. It will take a while to settle into a routine that works for you. Explore hobbies and stay busy. Plan your next vacation or weekend trip.
I also had dreams about work, unreasonable deadlines and impossible jobs. After 3 years they have mostly stopped...
Larry and Prissy Sharp
2006 Allegro Bay 37DB
2012 Toyota Yaris
LarrytheBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #7
Been retired 2 years this month. After 39 years did not know what to expect. But we have traveled quite a bit, made new friends along the way and kept busy on honey do list. Now I sit in a hotel room writing this as my Agency asked me to come back as a consultant.
I told them I was departing right after Christmas and would return in April. Don't miss the Agency politics or the personalities as a Department head, but do enjoy the work.
Tom and Gloria
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35A, TOAD: 2015 GMC Canyon, Blue Ox Towbar, Baseplate and SMI Stay N Play
TomandGloria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
The day I retired I really never looked back. The last 4 1/2 months I worked I spent 100 days out of country and I was not having fun, and had not had fun for ~3 years so I decided enough was enough.

I have tried to keep busy, did honey do jobs for several months after I retired and then earlier this year I did a complete kitchen remodel along with some other remodeling in the house.

Last year we bought a parcel of land ~6 acre, that was completely grown over with dead trees and underbrush so I've been spending time thinning that out getting ready to build a house. I've done this all by hand to try and loose some weight and get back in shape as I was a desk jockey for the last several years of my job except when I was running through airports.

We have done some traveling, last year ~10 weeks on the road and this year we are planning a trip out west and then possibly to Florida in the winter.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #9
This will soon come to pass !
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Enjoy your retirement keep busy
1995 Monaco Dynasty
32' B5.9 Banks, 6 speed Alison 3060
2008 HHR Panel toad
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #11
RETIREMENT it is so good
2013 Duramax GMC 3500 4x4 Dually DIESEL 6.6L V8 TURBO
2014 H-D Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2014 Raptor 42ft Toy Hauler
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:04 PM   #12
It depends on what else you have on your plate. I have not looked back since the day I shipped my remote office back to my remote manager despite having a major office down the street from me. I have many things that were put off because of work that I have been getting to as time permitted. Just get busy with the things you wanted to do but did not have time and you will forget all about work.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #13

I retired in 2006 from the military. My branch manager said if I stayed in another 5 years (that was then our plan), I would spend spend 3 1/2 years back in Iraq and Afghanistan. Enough was enough. I got out with 21 years and 16 days. Then, surprise of all surprises, I became an artist! Shocked the hell out of both myself and my wife! We can work when we want (not a choice of WHETHER or not we work, just WHEN!, we've got 3 kids in college. Now we both do the artwork, we've busier than ever before, and haven't looked back since.
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #14
I couldn't take it, But my situation was a little different from most here as I was active duty military, and I was a lot younger than most retirees.

So I went back to work, to my first love, flying but stayed away from home too long, then to something else I love, (OTR) trucking.

The road wars and drama got to be too much on the nerves so I went back to my mechanical and electrical background and stayed close to home again.

A recall got me back into government service, and I've been back at work ever since as a supporter of our war fighters.

Needless to say, I don't get to stay home and enjoy our coach as much as I would like, but I am a full time camper per se, That's what I call myself as I live out of my backpack, patriotism is contagious. But it won't be long now until the next retirement will be permanent as the body is slowing down a bit now.

Dan & Loretta, US Army Retired Aero Scout Pilot
2012 Fleetwood Providence 42P Class A/DP
Spartan Chassis, 8.9L Cummins 450HP
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote